1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal rocket equation application help

1. Feb 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known dataI am trying to calculate the change in velocity of the space shuttle required for a low orbit currently in use by NASA which i believe can be done from the ideal rocket equation. launch mass = 2,040,000kg external tank propellant mass=730,000kg solid rocket booster mass =504,000kgfirst stage-external tank = 455s second stage-orbiter= 316s
    2. Relevant equationsRelevant equations[/b]deltaV=(Isp*g)ln(Mf/Me)Mf is the mass ofthe rocket fully fueledMe is the dry massIsp=specific impulse of propellants
    3. The attempt at a solutionhttp://www.braeunig.us/space/specs/shuttle.htm3. On the above website is where i collected the data on the masses from however i may have misinterpreted as the launch mass minus both the propellant mass in the solid rocket booster and the external tank does not equate to the landing mass stated as 104,328kg on the above source, in fact it is less that it about 80,000kg. If anything i would say that it would be even lighter upon landing after using some of the orbital manouvering system's fuel. The specific impulse data was found on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle. Do i take Mf to be 2,040,000kg and then Me to be 2,040,000-(504,000+730,000) and the specific impulses as stated in the equation or is this completely wrong. If so can you please put me on the righ tracks. Many thanks Jack

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?