Exploring Ideal Voltage and Current Sources

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of ideal sources in a noninverting amplifier circuit. The first circuit has an output impedance of 0, making it behave as a perfect voltage source. The second circuit has an infinite output impedance, making it behave as an ideal current source. The conversation also mentions the use of resistors to simulate the behavior of non-ideal sources.
surajalok

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Is 1 an ideal voltage source?
Is 2 and ideal current source?

i was solving a noninverting amplifier circuit and i was asked to find out output impedence.
and in the first circuit output voltage was independent of the load resistence => output impedence=0 så it should be the first fiqure i have drawn. because output acts as a perfect voltagesource.

I the other question
i found out that current throug the load resistece was independent of the load res.
then out impedence should be infinity.
Does out put acts as a idela current source ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
surajalok said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Is 1 an ideal voltage source?
Is 2 and ideal current source?

i was solving a noninverting amplifier circuit and i was asked to find out output impedence.
and in the first circuit output voltage was independent of the load resistence => output impedence=0 så it should be the first fiqure i have drawn. because output acts as a perfect voltagesource.

I the other question
i found out that current throug the load resistece was independent of the load res.
then out impedence should be infinity.
Does out put acts as a idela current source ?

The Attempt at a Solution

forgot the picture

Attachments

• scsssss.png
    scsssss.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 395
Basically, in a non-ideal source (current or voltage), you will notice three things that separate it from its ideal counterpart:

1) It heats up.
2) The voltage drop is a function of the current.
3) The power it's able to provide is finite.

This behavior can be simulated (for a reasonable range of the current and the voltage drop) by adding a resistor in series with an ideal voltage source, and a resistor in parallel with an ideal current source.

So, as your diagrams represent, neither is an ideal source.

but when the output voltage across a load is independent of the load they say in the book that out but acts as a ideal voltage source.
and that the output impedance =0 (can someone explain why it shoulde be 0) and if it is zero then is is same as the diagram 1
I am talking about op Amp.

In order to answer the question of whether 1 is an ideal voltage source and 2 is an ideal current source, we need to define what an ideal source is. An ideal voltage source is one that maintains a constant voltage output, regardless of the load connected to it. Similarly, an ideal current source maintains a constant current output, regardless of the load connected to it.

In the case of the noninverting amplifier circuit, the output voltage is independent of the load resistance, which means that the output acts as a perfect voltage source. This is because the ideal voltage source maintains a constant voltage output, regardless of the load resistance. Therefore, the output impedance is 0, as stated in the first figure.

In the other question, where the current through the load resistance is independent of the load, the output impedance should be infinity. This suggests that the output acts as an ideal current source, which maintains a constant current output, regardless of the load resistance.

It is important to note that in practical circuits, there is no such thing as an ideal voltage or current source. There will always be some internal resistance or limitations that affect the output. However, the concept of ideal sources is useful in theoretical analysis and can help us understand the behavior of real-world circuits.

1. What is the difference between ideal voltage and current sources?

Ideal voltage sources provide a constant voltage output, regardless of the current flowing through it. Ideal current sources, on the other hand, provide a constant current output, regardless of the voltage across it.

2. How are ideal voltage and current sources used in circuit analysis?

Ideal voltage and current sources are used as simplifications in circuit analysis to model real-world components. They allow for easier calculations and analysis of complex circuits.

3. Can ideal voltage and current sources exist in real life?

No, ideal voltage and current sources are theoretical concepts and cannot exist in real life. However, they are useful for understanding and analyzing circuits.

4. What are some examples of ideal voltage and current sources?

An ideal battery can be modeled as an ideal voltage source, while an ideal current source can represent a solar cell or a constant current power supply.

5. How does the presence of load affect an ideal voltage or current source?

An ideal voltage source will maintain a constant voltage output regardless of the load, while an ideal current source will maintain a constant current output. In real life, the presence of a load can cause a slight change in the output of these sources due to resistance and other factors.