1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal Spring Question [Units]

1. Oct 6, 2012 #1
    So, I'm trying to brush up on my undergrad physics, and I'm sure this is a bone-headed question, so please bear with me.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A heavy object, when placed on a rubber pad that is to be used as a shock absorber, compresses the pad by 1cm. If the object is given a vertical tap, it will oscillate. Ignoring the damping, estimate the oscillation frequency. [The book i'm using actually gives the solution]

2. Relevant equations
    x(t)=A*sin(sqrt(k/m)t+[itex]\phi[/itex])
    ω=sqrt(k/m)
    F=k|l-l0|

3. The attempt at a solution
    We'll call x0 the equilibrium displacement, x0=1cm
    k=spring constant of rubber
    so
    k(l-l0)=k*x0=mg (equilibrium)
    gives us
    k=(mg)/(x0)
    then
    ω=sqrt(k/m)
    which eventually solves to
    ω=sqrt(g/x0)

The book gives an answer of sqrt(980) rad/s. My question is given the units from ω=sqrt(g/x0) (meters, seconds, centimeters), how do they arrive at radians?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

X0 is 0.01 m. So the unit of sqrt(g/x0) is 1/s.
    ω is the angular frequency, it is measured in radians/second, but radian is dimensionless. ω=2πf (f=frequency).

ehild

4. Oct 6, 2012 #3
    Makes sense. I actually just beefed the algebra cancelling my units. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook