1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal Transformer Question Help Please

1. Oct 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The Mag FLux Density in the core of a 4.4kVA 440V/4400V step up TX is 0.8T (rms). If the induced emf per turn is 10V, find: a) the primary and secondary turns, b) The cross sec area of the core, c) the full load current in each winding.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

part a isnt hard, as this question is in a chapter dealing with ideal transformers and so The total emf induced is the same as the applied voltage. The Number of primary turns can therefore be deduced by;

Total emf induced/emf per turn = 440/10 = 44 turns in primary,

this can then be done again for the secondary and the resulting value for number of secondary turn is 440.

For the third part, I believe that the primary current = VA/V1 = 4400VA /440V = 10A, anf the secondary current = VA/V2 = 4400VA / 4400V = 1A. This would make sense based on all the above calculations for turns etc.

I would like some help with the second part of the equation, as i cannot understand how it can be solved using the emf equations for a single phase transformer, as there is no frequency given??

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have to assume a frequency. Probably 60 Hz. Good point!

4. Oct 14, 2013 #3
    This is what I thought, but obviously there are two feasible frequencies that could be used (50Hz or 60Hz), so the accuracy of the answer will therefore be affected. I hate it when text books dont give answers to their questions!!!

5. Oct 14, 2013 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Agreed! Where was your textbook published? That might offer a clue as to the intended frequency. What about context (the chapter associated with the problem)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted