• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Ideal Transformer Question Help Please

• Thread starter Physicist3
  • Start date

Homework Statement

The Mag FLux Density in the core of a 4.4kVA 440V/4400V step up TX is 0.8T (rms). If the induced emf per turn is 10V, find: a) the primary and secondary turns, b) The cross sec area of the core, c) the full load current in each winding.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

part a isnt hard, as this question is in a chapter dealing with ideal transformers and so The total emf induced is the same as the applied voltage. The Number of primary turns can therefore be deduced by;

Total emf induced/emf per turn = 440/10 = 44 turns in primary,

this can then be done again for the secondary and the resulting value for number of secondary turn is 440.

For the third part, I believe that the primary current = VA/V1 = 4400VA /440V = 10A, anf the secondary current = VA/V2 = 4400VA / 4400V = 1A. This would make sense based on all the above calculations for turns etc.

I would like some help with the second part of the equation, as i cannot understand how it can be solved using the emf equations for a single phase transformer, as there is no frequency given??

Thanks

Answers and Replies

rude man
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The Mag FLux Density in the core of a 4.4kVA 440V/4400V step up TX is 0.8T (rms). If the induced emf per turn is 10V, find: a) the primary and secondary turns, b) The cross sec area of the core, c) the full load current in each winding.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

part a isnt hard, as this question is in a chapter dealing with ideal transformers and so The total emf induced is the same as the applied voltage. The Number of primary turns can therefore be deduced by;

Total emf induced/emf per turn = 440/10 = 44 turns in primary,

this can then be done again for the secondary and the resulting value for number of secondary turn is 440.

For the third part, I believe that the primary current = VA/V1 = 4400VA /440V = 10A, anf the secondary current = VA/V2 = 4400VA / 4400V = 1A. This would make sense based on all the above calculations for turns etc.

I would like some help with the second part of the equation, as i cannot understand how it can be solved using the emf equations for a single phase transformer, as there is no frequency given??

Thanks
You have to assume a frequency. Probably 60 Hz. Good point!

You have to assume a frequency. Probably 60 Hz. Good point!
This is what I thought, but obviously there are two feasible frequencies that could be used (50Hz or 60Hz), so the accuracy of the answer will therefore be affected. I hate it when text books dont give answers to their questions!!!

rude man
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
This is what I thought, but obviously there are two feasible frequencies that could be used (50Hz or 60Hz), so the accuracy of the answer will therefore be affected. I hate it when text books dont give answers to their questions!!!
Agreed! Where was your textbook published? That might offer a clue as to the intended frequency. What about context (the chapter associated with the problem)?