Unique Invention Ideas: ISSCE, AND, and Miniature Beacon

• Thread starter TGO
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ideas
In summary, the conversation was about various ideas for inventions, including a stun and smoke explosive device, a suit that deflects artillery fire and has enhanced physical abilities, and a miniature distress beacon. The feasibility and potential problems with these ideas were discussed.
TGO
I've had a number of ideas for inventions lately. I lack a strong background in physics and chemistry to an advanced level so please try and forgive me for my ignorance as I would like to learn what I can at an appropriate pace and enjoyable manner. Sorry if to some of you more familiar with the advanced fields these devices involve have to go through the miserable agony of reading these stupid ideas if they are indeed stupid like they probably are. However, one of the most enjoyable ways to learn is throwing the hypotheticals and the wild ideas out in the open so here goes...

Idea 1:

Impact-reactive Stun and Smoke Concussive Explosive (ISSCE)

The basic idea is an explosive device, spherical in shape. It has 2 chambers. The first chamber is the detonation device for the concussive stun mechanism (similar in functionality to the M84 stun grenade). The second chamber would house the detonation device for the smokescreen releasant mechanism (similar in functionality to the L83A1 smoke grenade). However this device would not just be a simple combination of two ingenius inventions. It is a step up as this device would require no timely means of detonation. No pin, no fuse. Both chambers would detonate simultaneously. All it requires is the force of hitting a surface, such as the ground to detonate. Making it perfect for a number of uses (escapes, entries, etc.).

Idea 2:

Artillery Negation and Deflection (AND)

This suit would essentially be made up of several layers. The outter layer would emit a powerful electromagnetic fieled. Artillery fire from regular firearms would bounce completely off or skew off course from the wearer of the suit due to the electromagnetic force surrounding the suits outter layer. The suit would also have 2 detachable barrels that contain a chamber loaded with projectile EMP devices that could be fired from either of these barrels located on each wrist area part of the suit, and cling to any metalic based target and then procede to detonate as soon as attached shortcircuiting targets from miles away from safety to avoid confrontation with heavier artillery such as tanks and missles. One curious thought I had, is if the electromagnetic force generated from the outter layer of the suit was strong enough, would it be capable of literally moving landmines as you walk closer to them? In any case. If heavier artillery could be handled from a distance safely, and light artiliery from regular firearms couldn't touch you, I'm having a hard time imagine just what an army could do to react to such a device. I was even hopeing it would be possible to add in a few internals layers that would attract and trap oxygen into the suit, and used the converted energy obtained to focus it to joint muscle parts of the suit, such as the knees, elbows, hands and feet so essentially you would have more force behind your movements and actions. You'd be more agile, stronger, and the weight of what I could only imagine would be a heavy suit would be easy lifting for you with all the extra force helping you support the weight. The question is how much energy could be trapped and how much of a difference could it make? Would you feels 2 times stronger? 10? Or barely any stronger at all with that extra energy being put into force and used at your whim? Heck, assuming I scrapped the idea of the electromagnetic deflection and EMP projectile barrels and commited the entire structuring of the suit to the act of trapping oxygen or some kind of external fuel that is all around us (perhaps sunlight if not oxygen), and used it to fuel force into an action such as jumping, would it be a noticable difference if charged long enough in the sun or left outside (since I know the absorbtion process would probably take some time). Would you be able to jump twice as high, move twice as fast, lift twice as much, or would it be a miniscule difference?

The feasibility of any of the above and many some ideas on just how they could become feasible (if at all possible) would be appreciated. It's always fun for me to throw around some insane hypotheticals. Again, sorry to the veterans out there for seeming moronic haha. I'm just really curious if any of these inventions are possibilities. And not thatits nearly as interesting or probably useful, but I also thought of a final small minuature invention...

Idea 3 (well a mini-idea at least):

Basically a small beacon like device with a propeller that could be wound up. When wound up it would have a dial to change what elevations it would be preprogrammed to fly to and it would fly and substain its elevation. Once there it would flash a red and blue distress light, emit a loud noise, and possibily emit a radio transmission of some kind that could show up on radar. Just enough to get the attention of any go'er byes or rescue aircraft or boats that may be nearby if you are stranded on an island for example. Perhaps it could even release a luminous smoke signal (phospherus based) at night? Havn't come up with a name for this idea yet. Mainly because it is probably the worst of the 3 haha.

Okay now that's it, thanks guys for any and all responses and help!

Computer science news on Phys.org

Hate to rain on your ideas, but I see a few problems.
TGO said:
... All it requires is the force of hitting a surface, such as the ground to detonate. ...
How do you prevent accidental firing? (E.g., User carrying the device trips and falls.)

TGO said:
... The outter layer would emit a powerful electromagnetic fieled. Artillery fire from regular firearms would bounce completely off or skew off course from the wearer of the suit due to the electromagnetic force...
Take a look at the Mythbusters "curving a bullet" episode. They tried altering a bullet's trajectory with some pretty serious magnets and measured virtually zero effects.

TGO said:
... Once there it would flash a red and blue distress light, emit a loud noise, and possibily emit a radio transmission of some kind that could show up on radar. ...
Personal homing beacon and satellite communications device -- http://www.findmespot.com/

pantaz said:
Hate to rain on your ideas, but I see a few problems.

How do you prevent accidental firing? (E.g., User carrying the device trips and falls.)

Good point. Although I guess at that point it would come to just being extremely careful when in the possession of such a device. Maybe perhaps it is only able to be detonated when held with enough pressure on small pressable groove or button. Then once the button has received enough pressure and been held for long enough, say a 10th of a second or some fraction of that the next sudden surge of pressure or shock will send it into detonation, but only after the grove or button has been released (so it would have a way of knowing you didn't just fall on the button, you pressed it knowingly and then threw it hard enough to detonate it).

pantaz said:
Take a look at the Mythbusters "curving a bullet" episode. They tried altering a bullet's trajectory with some pretty serious magnets and measured virtually zero effects.

Yeah out of all the ideas a suit that could deflect artillery was definitely getting doubts in my mind. What about an altered version of the suit that attempts to amplify the strength and speed of the person (I explained my idea of it near the end of my last post) minus the electromagnetism idea. Would that version of the suit be more feasible?

pantaz said:
Personal homing beacon and satellite communications device -- http://www.findmespot.com/

Heh, not surprised. But glad to see we have plenty of survival technology already. Anywho thanks for the debunking, criticisms, and suggestions guys. Keep them coming, only way any real learning is ever done so its welcomed.

TGO said:
What about an altered version of the suit that attempts to amplify the strength and speed of the person

I was actually thinking about this too. My idea was a nano suit type thing (Crysis) that would chemically and mechanically work to make you faster, more agile, stronger etc. Unfortunately I don't have enough technical know-how to elaborate more :).

There are a few companies developing Exo-skeleton suits. I've seen the Raytheon (named XOS) suit in a few videos.

Last edited:
Sakha said:
There are a few companies developing Exo-skeleton suits. I've seen the Raytheon (named XOS) suit in a few videos.

The Raytheon suit looks hard to use - a little bulky.

http://www.raytheon.com/newsroom/technology/rtn08_exoskeleton/ [Broken]

The Lockheed version seems a little more practical.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kat8I5UM_Vs&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator:
On a personal note - I want these (without needing to be an amputee) - carbon fiber exo legs to let me run 25 MPH

http://spectrum.ieee.org/biomedical/bionics/born-to-run

That seems more feasible than an entire exoskeleton. Even a running robot with these would be fun to try.

How about wireless Cat-5.

Two RJ-45 connectors that communicate wireless. Eliminates the need for a wireless card. I remove my pending patent so you guys can invent it. It doesn't (and shouldn't) follow 802.11 standards.

Bill Simpson said:
On a personal note - I want these (without needing to be an amputee) - carbon fiber exo legs to let me run 25 MPH

http://spectrum.ieee.org/biomedical/bionics/born-to-run

That seems more feasible than an entire exoskeleton. Even a running robot with these would be fun to try.

In a practical sense, an exoskeleton connecting "feet" to a spine (that a soldier could strap on like skis only above the device with about 2 -3 inches of ground clearance) and for the arms a type of sleeve with the device attached (extending past the hands) and connected to the spine makes a lot of sense. The soldier could carry more supplies as the weight would be transferred through the spine to the ground. Also, this type of exoskeleton would not require supplemental power - the spring action would assist movement.

The biggest issue I see is "how do we get the needed knee action without power?"

There are videos out there that show runners with two peg legs. That is hopeless.

Like kids "pumping" a swing, we can put energy into the spring by driving down as we plant each foot and we get that back as it drives us forward.

But then it seems that the critical mechanical issue is how to get that spring leg to maybe rebound somehow so that it flexes the knee enough to allow us to swing the leg forward and be ready to plant that foot for the next step. I don't think it is feasible to demand that our legs put enough energy into the spring for us to bend the knees.

If some brilliant mechanical guy can think of a way to get that knee action without needing power and controllers and motors and ... then I think this might actually be a feasible hobby level project.

Bill Simpson said:
The biggest issue I see is "how do we get the needed knee action without power?"

There are videos out there that show runners with two peg legs. That is hopeless.

Like kids "pumping" a swing, we can put energy into the spring by driving down as we plant each foot and we get that back as it drives us forward.

But then it seems that the critical mechanical issue is how to get that spring leg to maybe rebound somehow so that it flexes the knee enough to allow us to swing the leg forward and be ready to plant that foot for the next step. I don't think it is feasible to demand that our legs put enough energy into the spring for us to bend the knees.

If some brilliant mechanical guy can think of a way to get that knee action without needing power and controllers and motors and ... then I think this might actually be a feasible hobby level project.

I would think the knee could be constructed with two pieces - the lower section sliding out of the upper section to follow the contraction of the leg. Then, when the leg is straightened, the lower piece would slide back inside until it hits a "stop" - where a re-coil spring action would supplement the next motion?

Last edited:
Bill Simpson said:
You can buy exo-legs off the shelf today

http://www.google.com/search?q=running+spring+stilts

and some of those links say it is possible to run 25 MPH!
And they do this without knees.

Those look good for running - but not for carrying a heavier load.

Bill Simpson said:
You can buy exo-legs off the shelf today

http://www.google.com/search?q=running+spring+stilts

and some of those links say it is possible to run 25 MPH!
And they do this without knees.

Looks good for running - but not for carrying a heavier load.

I hope I didn't write anything to imply that these spring exo-legs were going to substitute for your skeleton so you could carry 400 pounds.

Worse, all these seem to be avoiding the difficult knee operation I initially said needed to be solved by attaching these at your knees and below. That makes these simpler to design and build, but will limit these to the strength of the muscles and tendons and joints of your knees, a serious weakness. My original hope was for something that might attach at the hips and all the strength of the legs would be available to pump energy into the exo-legs. Some search results even tout how much exercise these will give you, a bad sign when you are hoping for something perhaps as efficient as a decent bicycle while letting you run at 25 MPH.

But maybe someone can take this as an early demonstration of feasibility and build something better.

Bill Simpson said:
I hope I didn't write anything to imply that these spring exo-legs were going to substitute for your skeleton so you could carry 400 pounds.

Worse, all these seem to be avoiding the difficult knee operation I initially said needed to be solved by attaching these at your knees and below. That makes these simpler to design and build, but will limit these to the strength of the muscles and tendons and joints of your knees, a serious weakness. My original hope was for something that might attach at the hips and all the strength of the legs would be available to pump energy into the exo-legs. Some search results even tout how much exercise these will give you, a bad sign when you are hoping for something perhaps as efficient as a decent bicycle while letting you run at 25 MPH.

But maybe someone can take this as an early demonstration of feasibility and build something better.

Any thoughts on my 2 piece sliding knee mechanism idea?

Bill Simpson said:

Any thoughts on my 2 piece sliding knee mechanism?

Can you come up with a drawing showing how this sliding knee mechanism works?

Bill Simpson said:
Can you come up with a drawing showing how this sliding knee mechanism works?

It was just an idea.
Basically, the part mounted on the thigh would be larger than the part below the knee (along the shin). The shin piece would have a curve and slide into the thigh portion - until it hits a stop. This would straighten (bend straight both pieces) and should cause a recoil force - to bend the leg. Likewise, a deep knee bend would further bend both pieces (more curve) and should cause an opposing re-coil to help lift (by returning it to the natural curve).

I think rather than trying to skew a bullets course with magnets (lead is diamagnetic so is repelled by both poles, but very weakly so - it takes a very strong magnetic field to repel lead significantly - and the force behind a fired bullet would make anything possible of affectinbg it vis a magentic field incredibly large and power hungry) is to just improve on the impact resistance. It seems to me most bullet proof jackets etc are based around kevlar or steel plate etc that stop the bullets by being harder - and decipating the force across the plate (to some degree). It, therefore, makes sense to improve this by finding a way to decipate the force from the bullet in such a way that the operative inside the suit is completely protected from harm - perhaps even adding charge to the suit's battery in the process! Any improvement must also concentrate on weight, bulkiness and flexability of the material. I would suggest that it would have to be multi-layered (as modern bullet proof vests are) so different layers can: stop the bullet, drop the bullet without a ricochet or splintering/shreading, and decipate the force.
Such technology can be cross applied to other functions - such as impoact bumpers, aircraft/boat armour, bomb disposal suits and blankets and so on.

Wolf5370 said:
I think rather than trying to skew a bullets course with magnets (lead is diamagnetic so is repelled by both poles, but very weakly so - it takes a very strong magnetic field to repel lead significantly - and the force behind a fired bullet would make anything possible of affectinbg it vis a magentic field incredibly large and power hungry) is to just improve on the impact resistance. It seems to me most bullet proof jackets etc are based around kevlar or steel plate etc that stop the bullets by being harder - and decipating the force across the plate (to some degree). It, therefore, makes sense to improve this by finding a way to decipate the force from the bullet in such a way that the operative inside the suit is completely protected from harm - perhaps even adding charge to the suit's battery in the process! Any improvement must also concentrate on weight, bulkiness and flexability of the material. I would suggest that it would have to be multi-layered (as modern bullet proof vests are) so different layers can: stop the bullet, drop the bullet without a ricochet or splintering/shreading, and decipate the force.
Such technology can be cross applied to other functions - such as impoact bumpers, aircraft/boat armour, bomb disposal suits and blankets and so on.

See "Dragon Skin Armour": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Skin_(armor)

jarednjames said:

While reviewing your link, it occurred to me the neck and groin/upper thigh areas continue to be exposed - the overlapping design might be applicable to a neck collar and thigh pad?

WhoWee said:
While reviewing your link, it occurred to me the neck and groin/upper thigh areas continue to be exposed - the overlapping design might be applicable to a neck collar and thigh pad?

That's one of the many things I've always been curious about. They come up with this dragon skin armour, which is a superb design in itself, but they never apply the flexibility aspect to the vulnerable areas. If done properly, I don't see why you couldn't come up with a suit of this tech. God knows what it would weigh though.

jarednjames said:
That's one of the many things I've always been curious about. They come up with this dragon skin armour, which is a superb design in itself, but they never apply the flexibility aspect to the vulnerable areas. If done properly, I don't see why you couldn't come up with a suit of this tech. God knows what it would weigh though.

Another use that comes to mind is a portable firing screen (like a curtain) - body-width and perhaps adjustable height - to shield the soldier on flat surfaces and in the open.

From last post - the portable screens might interlock - soldier to soldier to form a wall?

WhoWee said:
From last post - the portable screens might interlock - soldier to soldier to form a wall?

Again, I think it comes down to weight.

jarednjames said:
Again, I think it comes down to weight.

No doubt, but a "curtain" could be much thinner - it would be set perhaps 18" to 24" away from the body.

WhoWee said:
No doubt, but a "curtain" could be much thinner - it would be set perhaps 18" to 24" away from the body.

Part of the advantage of being in contact with the body is that it can absorb some of the impact force.

Although you generally want to reduce this as much as possible, it still happens (general bruising).

To have a 'curtain' would require you ensure there is enough material strength to provide adequate compensation for the lack of a 'solid' surface to absorb some of the impact.

jarednjames said:
Part of the advantage of being in contact with the body is that it can absorb some of the impact force.

Although you generally want to reduce this as much as possible, it still happens (general bruising).

To have a 'curtain' would require you ensure there is enough material strength to provide adequate compensation for the lack of a 'solid' surface to absorb some of the impact.

It could have a (telescoping tubes?) rigid triangular base to adjust the angle of deflection and height?

Actually, have you ever tried to throw a tennis ball through a curtain? It losses a lot of its energy trying to lift the curtain (all of it). This is useful for a portable shield wall perhaps (for a lay up for example - or temporary command post etc). If the bullet can not cut through the material, it wll loose energy quickly within the folds of the sheeting. A rigid base would actually help the bullet to cut through (by providing tension of the surface) and would also do little to reduce the force itself.

Wolf5370 said:
Actually, have you ever tried to throw a tennis ball through a curtain? It losses a lot of its energy trying to lift the curtain (all of it). This is useful for a portable shield wall perhaps (for a lay up for example - or temporary command post etc). If the bullet can not cut through the material, it wll loose energy quickly within the folds of the sheeting. A rigid base would actually help the bullet to cut through (by providing tension of the surface) and would also do little to reduce the force itself.

That was my original thought with the curtain. The trade-off was the angled surface provided by the frame.

I'm not talking about pulling the material tight and making it rigid.

To take your analogy further, which stops a tennis ball quicker:
a) a curtain of cotton?
b) a curtain of cotton with a brick wall behind it?

Regardless of how it's supported, it needs to dissipate the force of the impact object. If you can't do that effectively you don't stop it - this is where you need additional structure as WhoWee said to replace the bodies component.

Yes of course.

Either we have a small lightweight frame and leave the impact resistance (and cut resistance) to the "fabric", or we have a lighter material that can pass the force through to a strong back board of some kind (whether that is physical or the curtain locking together and using the frame as a support), or we ignore the curtain idea altogether and go back to some interlocking shield (for reflecting). Or we move to the next idea in the brain storm and see where that goes...

How about this for an idea. A non-Newtonian liquid (or maybe just a solidifying foaming/rubber agent) that can be stored in small high pressure cannisters, that can fill up plastic sacks (like sand bags - or larger) insitu (expanding or mixing from the cannisters - expanding due to pressure release, mixing with the air, or a reactor/catalist substance). Piled on top of each other they can act as sand bags without the mass of damp sand! Bullets are simply absorbed . The gell could rubberise enough so that it does not leak from the bullet holes (or at a slow rate). They can simply be left behind and "rebuilt" next stop. Perhaps even a chemical that will make them breakdown after a given time (or sun light/air exposure etc) - to stop reuse by the enemy.

If we used custard, we could even eat it afterwards (that was a joke of course!)

The way modern military body armor works now is the kevlar layer, which is relatively thin prevents the bullet from penetrating. The ceramic "plate" absorbs the impact of the bullet. You still get knocked on your butt, and you still get bruised up, but you aren't dead. The plate can only take a couple hits before it is too cracked to prevent impact damage to the body. I would argue that there is a form of these portable protective curtains in the form of tanks. They have large guns to.

<h2>1. What is ISSCE and how does it work?</h2><p>ISSCE stands for Integrated Sensing and Self-Calibration Engine. It is a unique invention idea that utilizes advanced sensor technology to detect and correct errors in measurement devices. It works by continuously monitoring and analyzing data from multiple sensors, and using this information to adjust and calibrate the measurements being taken.</p><h2>2. What is the purpose of AND in this invention idea?</h2><p>AND stands for Automated Navigation and Direction. It is a key component of the ISSCE system, providing real-time navigation and direction assistance based on the data collected by the sensors. AND is designed to help individuals or vehicles navigate through challenging environments, such as crowded cities or remote wilderness areas.</p><h2>3. How does the Miniature Beacon fit into this invention idea?</h2><p>The Miniature Beacon is a small, portable device that is used to transmit signals to the ISSCE system. It can be attached to objects, vehicles, or even individuals, and provides crucial location and tracking information to the system. The Miniature Beacon is an essential part of the overall ISSCE and AND system, enabling accurate and reliable data collection.</p><h2>4. What are the potential applications of this unique invention idea?</h2><p>The ISSCE, AND, and Miniature Beacon system has a wide range of potential applications. It can be used in industries such as transportation, logistics, and agriculture to improve efficiency and accuracy. It can also be used in emergency situations, such as search and rescue missions, to aid in navigation and location tracking.</p><h2>5. Is this invention idea currently being developed and tested?</h2><p>Yes, the ISSCE, AND, and Miniature Beacon system is currently being developed and tested by a team of scientists and engineers. Initial results have been promising, and further research and development are ongoing to refine and improve the system. The ultimate goal is to bring this unique invention to market and make it available for various practical applications.</p>

1. What is ISSCE and how does it work?

ISSCE stands for Integrated Sensing and Self-Calibration Engine. It is a unique invention idea that utilizes advanced sensor technology to detect and correct errors in measurement devices. It works by continuously monitoring and analyzing data from multiple sensors, and using this information to adjust and calibrate the measurements being taken.

2. What is the purpose of AND in this invention idea?

AND stands for Automated Navigation and Direction. It is a key component of the ISSCE system, providing real-time navigation and direction assistance based on the data collected by the sensors. AND is designed to help individuals or vehicles navigate through challenging environments, such as crowded cities or remote wilderness areas.

3. How does the Miniature Beacon fit into this invention idea?

The Miniature Beacon is a small, portable device that is used to transmit signals to the ISSCE system. It can be attached to objects, vehicles, or even individuals, and provides crucial location and tracking information to the system. The Miniature Beacon is an essential part of the overall ISSCE and AND system, enabling accurate and reliable data collection.

4. What are the potential applications of this unique invention idea?

The ISSCE, AND, and Miniature Beacon system has a wide range of potential applications. It can be used in industries such as transportation, logistics, and agriculture to improve efficiency and accuracy. It can also be used in emergency situations, such as search and rescue missions, to aid in navigation and location tracking.

5. Is this invention idea currently being developed and tested?

Yes, the ISSCE, AND, and Miniature Beacon system is currently being developed and tested by a team of scientists and engineers. Initial results have been promising, and further research and development are ongoing to refine and improve the system. The ultimate goal is to bring this unique invention to market and make it available for various practical applications.