Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideas for review paper

1. Feb 9, 2007 #1
    Hello all! I have to write a review paper of several current articles for my Gas Dynamics course. My research is in Welding and Automation, so I have very little experience in the area of aerodynamics. However, I have recently read a book on Lockheed Skunk Works and think that I would like to find a topic that deals with or has an application to the SR-71 Blackbird. I just wanted input on topic selection, since you all seem to be very knowledgeable. I want something that I can find at least four recent articles on and that is accessible to someone with an engineering background but only an introductory knowledge of aerodynamics. I was tentatively considering sonic boom propogation.

Thanks for any thoughts!
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2007 #2

Science Advisor

You want to find recent articles dealing with the aerodynamics of the SR-71? Not very likely. The only articles you're likely to find now are on it's retirement. If recent is not a real concern, the first topic as far as gas dynamics comes to mind is the variable inlet design. The inlet spikes were a pretty fascinating design aspect that had a lot to do with the aircraft's performance at those high speeds. They actually provided a lot of the thrust for the aircraft at high speeds.
  4. Feb 9, 2007 #3
    I use the term "recent" pretty loosely (70s onward, I suppose). I like the idea about the inlet spikes. We just got done covering RAMjets and flow with heat addition, so I think it might be doable for me.
    I was also thinking about space shuttle re-entry, but I know that with hypersonic flight there is dissociation and variant specific heats, which makes it a significantly more complicated flow problem. Would it be possible for me to find several articles on the design of the space shuttle tiles (finite element models of heating, etc.)? I was hoping there would be several nice articles on this, since it came to the forefront during the Columbia disaster.
  5. Feb 22, 2007 #4
    i didn't quite understand what you want, but i'm a Mechanical engineer and most of us know aerodynamics and heat transfer whether finite or not. i mean applications OF the SR-71? like spying?or research? then u move to sonic booms, which is all about physics and calculations, but are mostly simple and easy to do. as for the aerodynamics of the SR-71? whats the question about it!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?