Ideas for SR-71 Blackbird Review Paper

In summary, the SR-71 is a very advanced aircraft and has a lot of interesting aerodynamic features. It would be possible to find articles on its design, but it would be more difficult than articles on other topics.
piano_girl
Hello all! I have to write a review paper of several current articles for my Gas Dynamics course. My research is in Welding and Automation, so I have very little experience in the area of aerodynamics. However, I have recently read a book on Lockheed Skunk Works and think that I would like to find a topic that deals with or has an application to the SR-71 Blackbird. I just wanted input on topic selection, since you all seem to be very knowledgeable. I want something that I can find at least four recent articles on and that is accessible to someone with an engineering background but only an introductory knowledge of aerodynamics. I was tentatively considering sonic boom propogation.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You want to find recent articles dealing with the aerodynamics of the SR-71? Not very likely. The only articles you're likely to find now are on it's retirement. If recent is not a real concern, the first topic as far as gas dynamics comes to mind is the variable inlet design. The inlet spikes were a pretty fascinating design aspect that had a lot to do with the aircraft's performance at those high speeds. They actually provided a lot of the thrust for the aircraft at high speeds.

I use the term "recent" pretty loosely (70s onward, I suppose). I like the idea about the inlet spikes. We just got done covering RAMjets and flow with heat addition, so I think it might be doable for me.
I was also thinking about space shuttle re-entry, but I know that with hypersonic flight there is dissociation and variant specific heats, which makes it a significantly more complicated flow problem. Would it be possible for me to find several articles on the design of the space shuttle tiles (finite element models of heating, etc.)? I was hoping there would be several nice articles on this, since it came to the forefront during the Columbia disaster.

i didn't quite understand what you want, but I'm a Mechanical engineer and most of us know aerodynamics and heat transfer whether finite or not. i mean applications OF the SR-71? like spying?or research? then u move to sonic booms, which is all about physics and calculations, but are mostly simple and easy to do. as for the aerodynamics of the SR-71? what's the question about it!

1. What is the history of the SR-71 Blackbird?

The SR-71 Blackbird was a strategic reconnaissance aircraft developed by Lockheed Martin's "Skunk Works" division in the 1960s. It was designed to fly at high altitudes and speeds, and was used by the United States Air Force from 1964 to 1998.

2. What were the main features and capabilities of the SR-71 Blackbird?

The SR-71 Blackbird had a unique design with sharp edges and a sleek, black exterior. It was powered by two Pratt & Whitney J58 turbojet engines and could reach speeds of over Mach 3 at altitudes of up to 85,000 feet. It also had advanced reconnaissance equipment, including cameras and sensors, allowing it to gather intelligence over enemy territory.

3. What were some notable missions flown by the SR-71 Blackbird?

The SR-71 Blackbird was used for various reconnaissance missions during the Cold War, including overflights of the Soviet Union and Cuba. It also played a crucial role in Operation Desert Storm in 1991, providing real-time intelligence to military commanders. The aircraft also set numerous speed and altitude records, including a flight from New York to London in just under 2 hours and 53 minutes.

4. What were the challenges and limitations of the SR-71 Blackbird?

The SR-71 Blackbird was a highly advanced and capable aircraft, but it also presented several challenges. Its extreme speeds and high altitudes required special materials and design considerations, making it expensive to operate and maintain. It also had a limited range and could only carry a small amount of fuel, which required frequent refueling during long missions.

5. What is the legacy of the SR-71 Blackbird?

The SR-71 Blackbird is considered one of the most iconic and legendary aircraft in history. Its advanced technology and record-breaking capabilities have inspired future generations of aircraft design. The aircraft also played a crucial role in gathering intelligence during the Cold War and continues to be remembered as a symbol of American ingenuity and innovation.