Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideas for School Project?

1. Jan 14, 2009 #1
    I'm looking for some ideas for my mechanical engineering school project.
    It can be anything but needs to have at least two of the following:

Also it must be entirely realisable during the semester.

Really not looking at making stirling engines or any type of engine right now as everyone seems to be doing that.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2009 #2

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. There are some "Similar Threads" links at the bottom of the page that may help, and you could also do a search in this ME forum for threads with "project" in the title. That may bring up some ideas.

If not an engine, how about a safe? Or some other kind of lock? Or a bicycle from scratch? Make a "Jaws of Life", starting with a chainsaw engine as the power source. Or a 1/32 scale elevator....
  4. Jan 14, 2009 #3
    Yeah I thought I was logged in earlier and was wondering why there was no search function. I just found a lot of stuff actually, thanks for the help.

I was actually thinking of making a lightweight hydraulic car jack. We (me and my partner) were hoping on making a double piston one but we've had no luck in actually finding a double piston hydraulic hand jack. All I've found are single piston ones.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?