1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideas for science fair project

1. Jun 7, 2006 #1
    I was wondering if anyone new of anyway to test relativity in an easy experiment, or an easy experiement forthe photoelectric effect.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2006 #2
    Have you checked out NASA website? There used to ideas of wonderful science projects (though I did not pay any visit to the site lately due to scarcity of time).
  4. Jun 7, 2006 #3
    Easy or inexpensive? If the effects of relativity (assuming you mean special relativity) were readily observable then most likely it would have been identified far sooner than it was.

You might have better luck with the photoelectric effect though if you have access to the right materials. What do you have access to?
  5. Jun 8, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

One can put a material that readily emits photoelectrons on a negatively charged electroscope. The leaves of the electroscope will gradually drop as electrons are liberated from it by natural light. A similarly charged control electroscope should be placed nearby to show that the observed discharge is not due to leakage. Be warned thought that electrostatic experiments are tricky! One needs experience in order to get them under control. You could quantify the investigation by looking at different materials - the rate at which the leaves drop for different materials. Inserting different types of colour filters will display the colour dependence of the effect.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  6. Jun 8, 2006 #5
    without equipment made specifically for the photoelectric effect, it could be tough to put together an experiment, but there might be an easy way, I cant say for sure. There are absolutley no easy ways whatsoever to test relativity. I would suggets going with the paper mache volcano.
  7. Jun 9, 2006 #6
    well, true, I do not have access to alot of materials. How hard would it be to biuld a cloud chamber?
  8. Jun 9, 2006 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Full instructions are located here. Whether your tutor will allow you to play with isopropanol and whether you can obtain dry ice it another matter.
  9. Jun 9, 2006 #8
    does anyone have any ideas for a project that isn't just like the norm, and that has to do with physics, with materials I can easily get.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?