Ideas for something you wanted to do but can't do due to a disability

• Thread starter ltbarous1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ideas
In summary, this person has a disability that affects their movement. They can't do anything that involves running because it will cause their bones to clash.
ltbarous1
If you have ever been disabled, whether from a surgery or some disability, then you know that you are limited to certain things that you can do. I am wondering if there is anything that you wish you could do while you were/are disabled. This could be something that you wanted to do at work, in sports and even leisure activities. Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is this for your project? This is not me but I find that some people like to sing but they are usually out of tune. They really badly want to sing well, but some of them say that they are tone deaf (does it count as a disability?). Just something I thought of out of the blue.

How about a sufferer of arthritis/single-handedness struggling to open a jam jar?

I'm partially colour blind which means I cannot fly fighter or commercial aircraft. I don't think I can be an electrician either - the training for which would have been useful given my job (Sound Engineer).

PuzzledMe said:
Is this for your project? This is not me but I find that some people like to sing but they are usually out of tune. They really badly want to sing well, but some of them say that they are tone deaf (does it count as a disability?). Just something I thought of out of the blue.

This is for one of my engineering classes. To come up with a design for a certain disability. I was thinking more of a disablility along the lines of something that impairs your movement. But thanks for the idea!

my dad had a staff infection that ate out the cartilage in his right hip. he is going to limp the rest of his life until he gets surgery. but he is putting off surgery till he gets really old because it is dangerous and it will most likely disable him from doing any sports at all

right now he is limited. he can't do anything involving running because it will cause his bones to clash togeather painfully. he can only do things like bike riding and skiing.

ltbarous1 said:
This is for one of my engineering classes. To come up with a design for a certain disability. I was thinking more of a disablility along the lines of something that impairs your movement. But thanks for the idea!

Opening doors. Borrow a wheelchair and tie your right arm down so that you can only use the left. Now try to go through an ordinary door.

1. What are some ways I can still pursue my interests and passions despite my disability?

There are many ways you can adapt your interests and passions to accommodate your disability. For example, if you have a physical disability, you can look into adaptive sports or activities that cater to your needs. If your disability affects your mobility, you can explore creative hobbies such as painting or writing. You can also seek out support groups or online communities to connect with others who share your interests and learn from their experiences.

2. How can I effectively communicate my ideas and contributions in a professional setting if my disability affects my speech or communication?

There are various assistive technologies and communication aids available that can help you effectively communicate your ideas and contributions in a professional setting. You can also consider discussing your needs with your employer or colleagues and finding ways to accommodate your disability, such as providing written notes or using a communication device during meetings.

3. What resources are available for individuals with disabilities who want to pursue higher education or a career in science?

There are many resources available for individuals with disabilities who want to pursue higher education or a career in science. Some universities have disability services offices that can provide accommodations and support for students with disabilities. There are also scholarship programs specifically for students with disabilities, and organizations that offer mentorship and networking opportunities for individuals with disabilities in the science field.

4. How can I advocate for myself and my needs in a professional or academic setting?

It's important to know your rights and understand the accommodations available to you as a person with a disability. You can also communicate openly and clearly with your superiors or professors about your needs and how they can support you. Additionally, joining disability advocacy groups can help you learn effective ways to advocate for yourself and others with disabilities.

5. Are there any advancements in technology or medicine that could potentially improve my ability to do things I currently cannot do due to my disability?

Yes, there are constantly advancements being made in technology and medicine that can improve the lives of individuals with disabilities. From prosthetics to assistive devices and therapies, there are many options for improving your ability to do things you currently cannot do due to your disability. It's important to stay informed and keep an open mind to new developments that could potentially benefit you.