Ideas of what degree to go for.

In summary, the person is considering transferring to a different school and is unsure of how many semesters it would put them back.
ank_gl
what should i do next?:confused:

hi
i ll be starting my third year of meachanical engineering this august. i have my interest in aerospace engineering. but the problem is that we don't have any professor in our college related to this field:cry::cry:
i do my stuff in this field via net n some books in library but really with no guidance. i ll be taking up GRE next january and plan to do further studies in this field in UK or US. could someone pleasez help me out on how to approach for it:uhh::uhh: pleasezzzzzzzzzz:shy:

Physics news on Phys.org
I've just discovered this forum and have almost been addicted to it. I've seen lots of good advice and since I am coming up on some big decisions in the next few months, I thought you guys/gals could give me some of that wonderful advice.

I am a starting my senior year this fall at the University of Kansas and am a math major. I love the subject and it dominates the majority of my time. The undergraduate mathematics here is not as challenging as it would be on the coasts, but after attending a summer program and where baby Rudin was force fed to me for about 7 weeks, I began taking the graduate level classes here which are much more challenging. The most "advanced" courses I've taken thus far are classes like Commutative Algebra, Green Rudin Complex Analysis, Algebraic Topology and will be doing Measure Theory and more assorted algebra topics this fall along with a senior thesis in Algebraic Topology.

This is my background and so now, the problem is, that I have to start choosing graduate schools this fall and applying etc... I am studying for the Subject Test so I think (hope) my scores for that will be somewhat pleasing. My GPA will be about 3.5 +/- .1 and should have some pretty good letters. So with all this said and knowing that I will most likely want to be some kind of algebraist, can anyone give any good suggestions about where I should look into applying? (keep in mind I like the east coast) And even, what types of algebraic math you enjoy most and why? (so I can see what people out there are doing).

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I haven't posted in awhile but a lot has happened!

Well I'm still doing my 8 month co-op with IBM as a Software Engineer and I'm really loving it!

I'm currently a student at Penn State but I soon found out how terrible Penn State's Comp Sci program is compared to NC States Computer Sci curriculum.

IBM,CISCO, SAP, etc have a huge influence on NC State's Comp Sci program and that really helps keep the courses new and improved.

My co-op ends in December, so I would be done by the Spring of 08. If I went back to Penn State I would have 3 semesters left if I really load my courses up.

But if I transferred to NC STATE I'm not sure how many semesters it would put me back. Maybe 1 or 2... I have all my physics and maths taken care of, I just havn't taken any core courses in Comp Sci other than 2 Computer architecture class that is geared more towards Computer Engineering rather than Comp Sci. Infact, they transfer as EE courses in NC State rather than Comp Eng or Comp Sci :(

The major difference is Penn State doesn't teach Java (they are big into C/C++) and is huge on theory and not application.
If I was wanting to go into research , that's great but I don't. NC State is huge on Java and big projects in their comp sci curriculum. After looking at their courses they offered I got excited and when I looked at the courses I was going to be taking at Penn State I felt "ahh that's going to suck".

IBM doesn't do anything in C++ and after programming in Java for a week I found out why.
Java is just as fast as C++ and a lot nicer/cleaner in all aspects in my opinion, but I'm glad I learned C/C++ anyways just so I can realize how nice Java is! Sorry I'm getting off topic...

The manager I'm working for wants me back to co-op full time in the summer as well...so to me it seems like such a hassle to move back to PA to go to school for a semester, then come back to NC for the summer, then move back to PA to finish my fall and spring semester of 09. Then move back down here to get a Full Time job with IBM. (phew sorry about the run on).Instead... I believe I would have a really good chance of working part time with IBM while going full time in school if I transfer to NC State.

I would finish my co-op, take the spring 08 semester off to go full time to NC State, then in the summer work full time as a co-op and take a few classes at NC State. Then during the fall and spring till whenever work part time with IBM while going full time at NC state.

So in my mind I know what I want to transfer, even my buddies from Penn State can't believe how horrible Penn State is compared to NC State after talking to the other co-ops at IBM.

I just need some input from other people to see if they also think this is a good idea or if I should just graduate the fastest and hope for the best.

Comments/Suggestions are welcome and needed :D

Last edited:
I've been looking at some IT jobs the past week. I've noticed that some of them are about 35-40 minutes away (about ~22-26 miles). If I do take one of these positions, what is the min salary should I accept?

Note: these positions aren't for life, so I'm not looking for 100k a year. I would be losing anywhere from 1-2 hours a day from going and coming back to work, depending on the traffic. However, they would help greatly for my part-time grad school and bills plus put some experience in my resume.

Double note: these are entry-level network/systems admin positions. Probably aimed for those with little experience in the IT field and with/without a 4-year degree.

Hi, i am an Italian undergraduate in physics, first year, first semester of exams..i wanted to ask you all if you know some Italian graduate in Usa in physics or Earth sciences...because i need some informations about "how likely a good (very good) student coming from Italy can enter in places such as Harvard o top tiers for the phd...?"

i just need some infos, best thing would be an italian studying in Usa, posting here!
i have so many question like, what average of marks, how to find teachers willing to write the letters!

thanks, by the way i am interested particularly in Atmospheric/Ocean Physics!

I am about to start a 3 month research assignment on basically anything to do with the human body and sports (the course is excercise science). I need a topic that is going to maintain my interest..but I don't have a clue. Topics people are already doing include such areas as role of fitness in aging population, heart conditions in young athletes, steroids, nutirion..i would like osmething tres unique..please anyone if you have read an interesting sports artice or anything like that...the sooner the better :)

Thanks to all involved for the great information provided on this website. Your threads and responses have helped me enormously in the pursuit of a career. Unfortunately, I have more doubts now than I did before (100% my fault - nothing on your part). If you wonder why, here are the main reasons:

- I am interested in learning how the world and universe work.
- I have a great memory.
- Having a highly lucrative career is of great interest to me.
- I feel I lack the mathematical and thinking (analytical, critical, deductive) skills required.

As you can see, the above does not mix quite well. I narrowed my choices down to Physics, Software Engineering, and Computer Science. Seems I might have to pursue another career path. In any case, thank you very much for your assistance.
JJ.

Last edited:
Hi
I am considering transferring from Appalachian state university to either UNC Chapel Hill or NC State. I would like to go to a top graduate program somewhere for physics, specifically astronomy or astrophysics. My question herein lies as to whether this is a worthwhile move or not. Right now I am on the path to major in astrophysics and probably double it up with math. If I get into chapel hill I know I will want to go, but I am not sure what to do if I don't get accepted. I am pretty sure that I will be able to get into NC state, but my question is how much of a difference will a degree from NC state then a degree from App be to grad schools?
Also another thing is that at App there are actual astronomy classes (thus the astrophysics concentration) and at NC state there aren't any, or hardly any astronomy classes. I know that I want to go to grad school for astrophysics, so would it still be worthwhile to transfer to State even though I would lose those astro classes?

*the difference in prices would negligible since I am in state, so the price does not matter.

I am 34 and professional software developer working working in the finance sector. I have been in IT for the last 10 years but my background is Physics, i have a 1st class honours in Physics and a masters degree in computational physics and i am contemplating doing a Phd in physics because its something i have always wanted to do. My maths is still pretty strong in terms of calculus, algebra, linears algegra, pde's etc. Over the last 12 months i have spent time brushing up mainly on my mathematics and i am finding that this is proving to be useful as it means when reviewing physics books i can focus on the physics. A few questions -

1. With so many years out of the academic world if i decide to apply for a Phd i am not sure what i can do in terms of academic references ?
2. Seems there is quite a bit of doom and gloom in terms of research in Physics, am i mad thinking about doing a Phd ?
3. I am from the UK but i would like to do a Phd in the US but not sure what schools i should apply to ? I would like to do a Phd in Condensed matter physics.

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers
David.

Hi everyone, I am a student in Electrical Enigneering at Iowa State University. I'm in my senior year I have about 3 semsters left(Yes I know I am a super senior). My area of concentration within my degree is not very clear yet. I am interested in Power Electronics and Electromagnetics. I wish to work as an Electrical Engineer in Minneapolis, it has always been my dream.

I wish to ask for advice to anybody who is an engineer or lives in Minneapolis that knows anybody working as an Electrical Engineer in Minneapolis. My interest is clear I want to work in any industry as long as I am hired as an Electrical Engineer. Also I would like to add that I haven't had the pleasure to be in an internship.

1. What companies are my best bet?

2. Should I first go for an internship/ co-op? I accept any comments on this one.

3. What do they usually look for upon a newly graduate?

Thank you for taking the time to read this post and I hope to read any advice or comment and also thanks for sharing your knowledge with me. This is very important.

Hi everyone, I am a student in Electrical Enigneering at Iowa State University. I'm in my senior year I have about 3 semsters left(Yes I know I am a super senior). My area of concentration within my degree is not very clear yet. I am interested in Power Electronics and Electromagnetics. I wish to work as an Electrical Engineer in Minneapolis, it has always been my dream.

I wish to ask for advice to anybody who lived or lives in Minneapolis that knows anybody working as an Electrical Engineer in Minneapolis or what ever. My interest is clear I want to work in any industry as long as I am hired as an Electrical Engineer. Also I would like to add that I haven't had the pleasure to be in an internship.

1. What companies are my best bet?

2. Should I first go for an internship/ co-op? I accept any comments on this one.

3. What do they usually look for upon a newly graduate?

Thank you for taking the time to read this post and I hope to read any advice or comment and also thanks for sharing your knowledge with me. This is very important.

so I've been reading a lot of the threads about jobs and i got to thinking about what I am to do. For the past five years i have been working for a small construction company. I love it and hate it (so i started college). friday will be my last day because I am transferring as a junior into the university of VA as a physics major.
I love the technical aspect of everything involved in my job. And i love being very active all day on the job. I also love solving problems and fixing things. I am thinking that as a physics major i will be able to find a very technical job that requires me to solve interesting problems with very physical subjects and keep me active.
what do you think?
and what kind of cool jobs do you folk have??

Currently I am majoring in the field of Chemical Engineering. While I do adore the applications and large spectrum of possibilities within this field, as of now, a sophmore, I feel like it is just a drag. While I do love a challenge, in which this field most surely is, I don't know if I'm positive anymore if it is for me.

My choice of what I am now currently interested in and nearly obsessing over, is physics. For the longest time I have been interested in theoretical physics. I love the idea of solving the biggest questions be asked and discovering never before known things. It is amazing so I believe.

I know physics is simply applied mathematics and engineering is applied physics.
I would just like to know to opinion of other people that may have switched majors and possibly any guidance they can offer.
*I have contacted the adviser for my physics department, but I still have to set up a meeting.

Going back??

Can anyone guide me in this. I'm going back to to join the MSc in Medical physics( internet learning) after 7 years of leaving the Physics field ( I already graduated with an M1 degree in General Physics and worked afterwords for 5 years as a teacher) . If anyone had such an experience I would be grateful to know how it was and if really it is possible to do so.I feel I'm so far away from all the things I learned even though I'm always assured by friends that it will all come back.

I started working on HHO for my truck about 6 months ago. Since then, it has led me in many directions and got my interest in alternative fuels/energy. Some of the things that have really spiked my interest is CERN(world's largest particle collider), ITER(www.iter.org (fusion[/URL] project)). I'm really interested in the elements and they react with each other, everything in space and several other things.
My questions are: What degrees should I go for?
What jobs are out there for this field?
Thank you for taking the time to read this and give me feedback. Free4All

Last edited by a moderator:
Heya.
Its still very early days for me, but I am looking at the prospects of doing further studies after my BEng (Chemical and Process). I have only just finished my first year.

Anyway, at some stage during my life i would really like to go further with my studies, and perhaps complete a phD or atleast a masters in engineering. In general, is it better to go straight into postgraduate studies after completing a batchelors degree, or will i be better off going into industry to gain some work experience and then go back to uni at a later stage?

What are the benefits of completing postgraduate work? I guess it would mean a better salary (how significant though?), i would be more qualified for certain jobs and i guess more highly regarded as an employee in general. I have also considered going into academia after working in industry for a bit, which i know will require some postgrad work.

One last question; i have heard of a "EngD". How does this compare to a phD? Is one any more highly regarded than the other? Do they involve similar work?

Thanks in advance for the advice, and as i mentioned, i know it is still very early days for me, but it never hurts to know this information beforehand :smile:
Dan.

I am a first semester freshman at a tireless university. I am maths major and an international student. I want to transfer to a good university with research opportunity because the university that I am attending right now has now research university. Top of that I also recently decided to do a major in physics as well.But my university has no physics major. So I really want to transfer. And due to poor economic condition and being an international student, I can't afford the cost of college in US. So I want to know few good but cheap university with decent physics department along with research. So please help me find me such kind of university so that I can complete my double majors in maths and physics. Also I want to do my PhD in theoritical Physics. Here is some information that might help.

High school GPA- 3.8
Current GPA- 4.0

I want a university which offers financial aid or some kind of grant to international student. To maximum I can pay ten thousand to college for my studies. So please guys provide me with some information and some university that I can apply to.

Pretender.

Hi .

I m doing my b.s in electrical engineering.
And i would be applying as a transfer student.my cgpa is arnd 2.8 with few backs which i cleared.
Actully i wish to work in nano-science.so i searched for universities offering bachelors in nanoscience

and i m not able to decide whether i should first complete my electrical engineering or should i switch to nano science.?

Can u tell me about nanotech progams offered in

louisiana tech universities

there are universities in uk which offer bachelors in nanoscience like

leeds univ

but problem is i don't know anything about the program.

It would be very helpful if anyone of u can guide me ..

I am a 2nd year engineering undergradute student of Manufacturing Process and Automation Engineering in India.
As of now I am working on a project under a professor (nothing big but it's a start), learning a little basic French and I am part of publication team for a NGO (Non Government Organisation). I also have a tentative internship for the summers.
I just got selected to be a part of the college team for FSAE Japan. But being a part of this team would force me to quit some of my other prior commitments and/or adversely affect my academic performance.
The positive aspect of being a part of this team is that it would provide me with international exposure.
I would like to pursue MS in the US (preferably).
So is joining the FSAE Japan team worth it?

Thanks.

Hi,

I am currently studying NIT Trichy(India), 4th semester doing Electronics and communication engineering. I am actively involved in robotics and have also a keen interest in image and signal processing. But my main interest lies in satellite communication and avionics or something that combines robotics with avionics. I want to make the best use of the two month long summer break i get. So i want to do some good project. Does anyone have any suggestion about good Professors in or outside India doing such Research? I am also keen on doing some project in NUS or NTU. I have not applied to many profs yet. Please guide me and give me suggestions pls.

Hi, I am new on this site and actually was a biochemistry major starting out, but have always had a thing for physics so I saw an adviser and will be adding it as a second major next semester. I have done plenty of searches on this site regarding suggested math classes and I just wanted to get a quick opinion from anyone able to comment.

Considering my schedule is packed, it leaves little room for math which doesn't sit too well with me considering my plans for graduate school. I have decided to take the following as definite "needed" math classes from what I can gather reading past threads:

1. Calc 1/2/3
2. Applied Linear Algebra (using MATLAB, not sure if I should have gone with "pure" if anyone wants to comment)
3. Modern Diff Eq (Using MATLAB again)
4. A sort of "survey course" made for engineers and scientists which covers things like vector analysis, Fourier analysis and partial diff eq. If anyone believes that any of these topics are important enough to be taken as stand alone classes please let me know.

This is in addition to two classes in the physics curriculum which are called "mathematical methods in physics" which I am unsure will make any of the above classes superfluous. I rounded out this schedule with a class called "applied complex analysis" but I am getting a different opinion from a professor of mine who says "abstract algebra" may be a better way to go. Considering my tight schedule I really only have room for 2 additional math classes to the ones above, possibly just 1.

For a person not so interested in the theoretical side of physics but more the applied side, such as chemical engineering, or possibly biophysics I was wondering if you could "rank" the below classes when considering my above math plans with regards to what you feel that you needed in the course of your physics career:

1. Vector Calculus
2. Complex Analysis
3. Geometry (No experience with this since high school! But unsure if its needed)
4. Advanced Calculus (Beyond Calc 3 and introduces "Real numbers, completeness, sequences/series, continuity, uniform theorems, derivative, Riemann integral, pointwise/uniform convergence, Taylor's theorem" as per course description)
5. Numerical Analysis
6. Abstract Algebra

If anyone wants to add any additional comments on what I may be missing feel free! Thanks.

TL;DR - Please choose 2 math classes from the above list that you believe are essential to graduate level applied physics.

I've talked to a couple of professors about my schedule this fall and have received conflicting advice, so I'm turning to you, PF.

I'll be starting my junior year as a physics major, but since I co-op I won't actually be taking another physics classes for an entire year after the fall is over (since I'll be working in the following spring and fall and there aren't any physics classes I haven't already taken offered in the summer). My plans after graduation are up in the air right now. I know I want to go to grad school, but I'm not sure what for. I'm leaning towards theoretical condensed matter right now, though, so let's go with that.

The classes I plan on taking for sure are E&M 1, Quantum 1, and a Math Methods for Physics course that covers complex variables and PDEs. I'd like to take two other classes, but I'm very uncertain as to which:

Classical Mechanics 2
Statistical Mechanics (required for graduation)
Computational Physics (looks like it mostly focuses on numerical methods)
Intro Probability and Statistics
Complex Analysis
Differential Geometry
Partial Differential Equations 1

Math classes I've taken so far are Calc 1-3, Diff Eq, a rigorous proof-based class on Linear Algebra, and a "problem solving" course that was basically a smorgasbord of the entire undergrad math curriculum (I wouldn't say I'm familiar with topics like algebra or analysis further than I can throw a rock, though). I've also taken the introductory physics sequence, thermodynamics, classical mechanics 1, and electronics.

Computational physics seems like it would be pretty important since I want to do theory. However, my co-op job involves a lot of programming. I haven't done much with numerical methods yet, but it's definitely probable that I'll have to some time in the next couple of years, so I may just end up learning it on the job anyways.

I also need to keep in mind that I'll have a very heavy workload this fall. There are two 1 hour classes I'll be taking that I haven't mentioned since they're not relevant, and I'll also be doing research and TAing an intro math class. Computational physics is a 4 hour class and would put me at 21 hours - the rest are 3 hour classes. I'm taking 20 hours this semester of all physics and math classes without too much trouble, but TAing = 8-12 hours a week, and I'm not TAing this semester.

I live in India. I am currently in 2nd year doing a degree in engineering in Information Technology. I don't find the course interesting. I am totally bugged up. The pure theoretical courses bug me up. When I entered it I had thought they would contain courses on Programming languages and algorithms and stuff like that. But now I find that there are only one course per semester like that which I can study. About the rest of the courses I would rather not speak.

I am highly interested in Physics, Mathematics and Computers and I want to do a Ph.D. in Physics.

Now there are two ways I can do that. The first one is to continue with my B.Tech. and study Physics side by side(already started) and give exams for entrance into a good Graduate program. The second is to drop my B.Tech. and do a B.S. in Physics.
Which one would be better?

First one would be more hectic and I don't know whether I would be able to handle the courses of my B.Tech. this way.
The second one would take a longer time.

Link to the original thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=222143

I hope the moderators of this excellent forum will forgive me resurrecting this thread over a year after the last post. For anyone interested, though, I want to share my progress over the last year.

In May I looked around my city for potential Universities (of which there are three major ones, plus the ubiquitous community college). The conundrum into which I fell is quite amusing in retrospect, but at the time enraged me to no end.

The two larger, more prestigious Universities both rejected me out of hand, because they both had age floors on applying mature students and neither would accept a GED for admission UNLESS the applicant qualified as a mature student. I met every other requirement for mature students...I'd been out of school for five years at that point, I had a job and a wife and all of my own bills to manage with no parental assistance. But I was twenty years old. My options in both cases were to either go to community college, attend the Universities' own upgrading courses, or wait until I met the age requirements for mature matriculation.

Instead I took the fourth option, and was accepted into the smaller, less prestigious University under academic probation. This was not the only price I had to pay; due to small class sizes and conflicting schedules, I was not able to pursue physics as an option in these first two years, thus shifting my focus to mathematics and computer science. Right now I'm working toward a B.Sci. in Mathematics with a CS minor, and my overall GPA is 4.171 out of a possible 4.3 (the latter being an A+ in every course attended).

That answered my first question. Partially with the help of the advice I gained here, I have achieved what I thought was impossible for me. My next question, however, is: Where do I go from here?

My current school is a foot in the door of academia, true. However, I cannot help but feel I would be foolish to pursue the second half of my undergraduate education here. What are the benefits and drawbacks of switching schools partway through undergrad? Would it put grad school applications in detriment? Would I be accepted into a physics or math/physics program with no prior physics credits if I wished to transfer?

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is basically the syllabus for a math course I might take next year, I've already completed the required course in linear algebra for the physics program at my school. Would the following knowledge be helpful in any way? Or should I just take a random elective (e.g. "Greek and Roman Epic").

Abstract vector spaces: subspaces, dimension theory. Linear mappings: kernel, image, dimension theorem, isomorphisms, matrix of linear transformation. Changes of basis, invariant spaces, direct sums, cyclic subspaces, Cayley-Hamilton theorem. Inner product spaces, orthogonal transformations, orthogonal diagonalization, quadratic forms, positive definite matrices. Complex operators: Hermitian, unitary and normal. Spectral theorem. Isometries of R2 and R3.

Hello there,

I currently finished my first year in PhD program in one of University of California campuses. but I'm not happy...I am 27 years old and i have a feeling that it is getting late for me. I was a very smart and "first" place student in my country with a unlimited love to study Astronomy. all my family lives in US and due to my age i could not get my green card with them. Anyway, i came to US at 2006 with my B.A. in physics and M.S. in physics/ astronomy. my visa process to F1 visa wasted my time for 1.5 year! and in this time i was disappointed and mostly depressed. last year "like a miracle" i found a very NICE professor who i happened to work with. My problem is the department i am working with. i hate the department! after a year and a half i hate this department... the teachers are all (except 2!) acting like a jerk and the worst is they are quite happy and honored for their manner! 7 teachers i had during first year only ONE was good! our classes are a bad joke and... beside all this awful education, they have one of the hardest prelim exams in this campus! this is unbelievable... and aside that the faculty members in here are NOT so good with each other and you know what that means to poor students... they clearly abuse each other... i am so tired and i want to run! my adviser is new in this department and he+my math professor will be the only ones who i miss...

beside the department problems i have one other problem... i LOVE LOVE LOVE Astronomy and where i am is good but not good enough... i found it very far from my dreams.. i always loved to be in a astronomy department with lots of research and active people... i love scientific meetings and friendly people... i prefer discussion sections and a little bit group study... i am very energetic and very enthusiasm for my major. i LOVE experimental works and making astronomical instrumentation... i love building stuff... but when i think deep almost NON of these exist for me in where i am. My adviser is a wonderful person but he doesn't have a successful group... i am his only student! his lab is not ready.. and due to all these problems i was getting really dull during last year. i did wonderful for my first prelim exams and exams but i just can't tolerate and ignore i am in going trough and i screw up in my last two prelim exams... with full respect to Chinese people but my class mate were %55 Chinese students and they didn't even bother to reply others hello! you might think it is easy but it is not...

in the other hand my adviser is the ONLY person who works on astronomy in our department so basically i am isolated.. no astronomy events, no astronomy news,..no one to talk with... i have no idea what are possible opportunities for me out side in the world, i have no idea what and where are the related meetings, new research subjects, or any opportunities... i am using interment all the time but it is just useless to march alone...

any way, i want to move on... i think i have lost my last 3 years and that makes me nervous... i had finished my M.S. in 9 months with 2 articles and now just look at me! i feel like a looser!

after being smart and successful for a lifetime i feel like a looser today! looser in sense of what i dreamed of and what i am... My dream is to go to a very active astronomy department. I feel UC Santa Cruz is the one. i am planning to visit there and see how i can go there.

Now i have 2 chose:
1- stick to where i am and study hard for my second and last chance of prelim exams in here.. in here if any thing bad happens i lose my visa (i am in F1 visa)...
2- move on! ... i like this chose myself but i am afraid if this is a good idea to start over... i have forgotten every thing... it is 5 years that i haven't studied Q.M. or Thermodynamics or classical mechanics... i am not sure how to start over and i think it is so hard but in the other hand this is what i really want... do i have to go trough all TOEFL, GRE general, GRE physics,... tests?

If anyone can help me with this situation i would be happy to have your advise...

Hi,

Im wondering if I am aiming too high for gradschool in aerospace engineering. I am going for a PhD.

Major GPA (mechanical) 3.68 from a fairly well known school
-Have also taken a lot of advanced undergrad classes, and will take two graduate level classes next year.

Member of university's aerospace club
-independent study with club
-we have designed and are currently building our own remote controlled plane

REU at a top 20 university

Internship at NASA

Hope to do another independent study next year

Two years of tutoring, I won an award as an outstanding tutor

At least 2 excellent letters, and the other one should be good

Havent taken GRE. Not worried about the quantitative, a little worried about verbal.

Schools I am applying to for aerospace:

MIT
Georgia Tech
Michigan
Cornell
Maryland
Princeton
Illinois
Purdue
Penn State
Minnesota

Obviously no can really predict whether or not I will get in, but do you think I will at least be competitive?

OK, so I am heading for a Ph.D. program in math. I have recently been thinking about the process of doing research. As an undergrad you're mostly given toy problems where the solution is not too far away and the right plan of attack can usually be seen in just a few minutes or seconds by just staring at the problem. This has been pretty much the case for all my courses, including the graduate courses I took.

Now when doing real research this most probably doesn't work or at least I would assume that it's inefficient. After having thought about the work I did on my senior thesis, I realized I probably ended up trying the same approaches that didn't work time and time again until I miraculously came up with an idea that worked.

What I'm basically asking is do you or how do you document your work on a problem? Do you document all the different ideas you've had and how you have tried to apply them? How do you prevent yourself from wasting time by doing the same thing again and again? I would assume that documenting ideas and failures also spawns other interesting problems, so it would be something of importance.

This fall I will begin working towards a PhD in Statistics at a very highly "ranked" school. During my undergraduate years I always figured I wanted to work as a Statistician (high pay, 9-5 low stress job). After doing some research and reflecting, I realized that academia would be a much better fit for me (research, teaching etc... )

My question is this: Since I know going into grad school that academia is the end goal, what can I start doing from day 1 to maximize my chances of getting a tenure track job after obtaining a PhD? I know that for Statistics in particular, getting a faculty job is fairly easy compared to other fields since so many people go into industry and don't even consider academia. What are things I should take advantage of? I really don't want to waste any time or undertake anything that wouldn't help me down the road.

Any general suggestions?

Thanks!

never thought i'd be making one of these threads but my directed independent study professor dropped me at the last moment and now I am stuck trying to fill a hole in my schedule. so between these classes what should i take?

background: I'm a senior math/physics major. I am already taking advanced calc 1, abstract algebra 1, advanced physics lab, spanish 4. if i go to grad school it'll be for math, applied math at that. the catch is i like pure math and despite swearing up and down that i hate physics I am still drawn to it out of shear masochistic curiosity.

here are my options:

Fun Analysis Spectral Theory - Grad Class
– applications to differential equations
– duality of norm spaces and operators, in particular Hahn-Banach, Open mapping and the
principle of uniform boundedness.
– basic introduction to generalized functions (distributions)
– spectral theory for compact operators on a Banach space

i have not taken a grad math class before no do i have the advanced calc prereq for this class but i could still get in and am very curious about functional analysis. i have all the linear algebra prereqs and have met a lot of this stuff before in my qm class.

Game theory and it's applications

Nash equilibrium and other solution concepts for noncooperative games
Evolutionary stability and other criteria for equilibrium selection
Cooperative games in strategic form
Cooperative games in characteristic function form
The prisoner's dilemma and the rationality of cooperation
Population games
Further applications, as determined by student needs or interests

something i know nothing about so naturally I am interested.

Topology I Grad Class

I took the undergrad version a summer ago. It was easy I got an A. Can't find much about this class but I know it'll be taught out of Munkres.

Quantum Mechanics A - Grad Class

I. The physical basis of Quantum Mechanics
II. Schrodinger equation. One-dimensional potentials.
III. Operators, eigenfunctions, and symmetry. Expectation values.
IV. Discrete eigenvalues, bound states. Harmonic oscillator and hydrogen atom.
V. Continuous eigenvalues and collision theory.

i've taken the undergrad QM sequence. hated it. it was the straw that broke the camel's back as far being a physics major goes for me. I got Bs in both classes. I won't say I am the best quantum mechanic ever but I've peaked at the homework for this class and it looks pretty doable. why would i take this even though i ostensibly hate physics/qm? cause I am stubborn and up for a challenge.

Phyiscs DIS

A former physics professor has approached me about doing research with him. nice guy. the research might even keep me occupied/interested but i don't know how useful it would be as far as learning new skills/grad school for math.

i could also do something crazy like take german 1 or arabic 1 which i would really enjoy but wouldn't be useful at all. or even crazier would be to take QM and do the research on the side.

1. What factors should I consider when deciding on a degree?

When deciding on a degree, it is important to consider your interests, career goals, and the job market. You should also research the curriculum and course requirements of different degrees to determine which one aligns best with your goals.

2. Is it better to pursue a degree in a specific field or a more general degree?

This depends on your career goals and interests. If you have a specific career in mind, a degree in that field may be more beneficial. However, a more general degree can provide you with a broad range of skills that can be applied to various industries.

3. How can I determine which degree will lead to the highest paying job?

While salary is an important factor, it should not be the only factor when deciding on a degree. It is important to consider your interests and skills, as well as the job market and demand for certain degrees. Researching average salaries for different fields can also help inform your decision.

4. What are the benefits of pursuing a graduate degree?

A graduate degree can provide advanced knowledge and skills in a specific field, making you more competitive in the job market. It can also lead to higher paying job opportunities and potential for career advancement. Additionally, pursuing a graduate degree can demonstrate your dedication and commitment to your field.

5. Can I change my degree later on if I decide it is not the right fit?

Yes, it is possible to change your degree later on. However, it is important to carefully consider your decision and consult with academic advisors to ensure a smooth transition. Changing degrees may also result in additional time and cost, so it is important to weigh the pros and cons before making a decision.