Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideas on entrance telescopes

1. Jul 9, 2009 #1
    Alrighty.
    I've been interested in astronomy and other relative fields since I was a child, but due to my music commitments I've never had any 1'st-person experience in relation to utilizing a scope. My parents bought me a Celestron Powerseeker 675 back when I was a kid, but I only ever pointed it at the moon once, then I dropped it! Fool I know!
    My main question here is now I've managed my schedule, I'd love to jump into astrophotography, but obviously need good experience with a scope and the night-sky first!
    I realize that I'm at the lowest rank of astronomical experience, but I'm a quick learner and don't want to spend money on anything too basic! I have around £500 kicking around, and was wondering if anyone could point me towards a scope that will aid me well both as a beginner AND, as I gain knowledge and experience, when my skills advance. Any help would-be greatly appreciated.
    Major_Cj.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2009 #2

negitron

Science Advisor

Given your inexperience, I'd suggest that rather than buying a 'scope right now you look into local astronomy clubs in your area. You'll have an opportunity to observe through a number of different instruments and learn about their capabilities, as well as gain practical experience and knowledge from the more seasoned amateurs who, I can promise you, will be all too eager to show of their 'scopes and answer any questions you might have.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook