Ideas to attach a swivel wheel Solidworks

In summary, the conversation involved a university student in mechanical engineering seeking help with designing a cart using Solidworks with a specific width and length for the steel plate on top. The student considered welding the sides and corners of the steel plate and using a Beta pin to attach the retaining pin, but was open to other suggestions. One idea suggested was to use a corner plate and weld it to each corner of the steel plate for easier attachment of the swivel wheel assembly.
Any1
Hi everyone, I am newly registred here.

I am a university student in mechanical engineering in Canada.

Homework Statement

I have to use Solidworks to build a cart that has a steel plate on the top mounted somehow to 4 swivel wheels assembly provided that has a pin to attach. *see swivel wheel assembly pic*

The only contraint is the steel plate size on top must be a specific width and lenght, which is not a problem here.

*swivel wheel assembly*
http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=167594photo.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I tought about generating the steel plate then weldging some sides and their corners to which I would attach one wheel each.

My problem comes to how I am supposed to attach the retaining pin to the corners ... All I could think about was to use a Beta pin to clip the pin... But there has to be another way much better.

I am opened to any suggestions concerning the way to attach the wheel' retaining pin to the steel plate.

Thanks .

The idea I came up with..

http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=950753soudage.jpg

http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=560725pin.jpg

Attachments

• soudage.jpg
    soudage.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 439
  • pin.jpg
    pin.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 457
  • 167594photo.jpg
    167594photo.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 443
Physics news on Phys.org
Is to use a corner plate and weld it to each corner of the steel plate. Then I can secure the swivel wheel assembly to the corner plate using the retaining pin. I am open to any other suggestions which may be better than this one. Thanks.

1. How do I attach a swivel wheel in Solidworks?

In Solidworks, you can attach a swivel wheel by using the "Mate" tool. First, create a sketch of the swivel wheel and the surface you want to attach it to. Then, use the "Coincident" mate to align the center of the swivel wheel with the surface. Next, use the "Concentric" mate to ensure the wheel rotates around the correct axis. Finally, use the "Distance" mate to set the desired distance between the swivel wheel and the surface.

2. Can I customize the swivel wheel in Solidworks?

Yes, you can customize the swivel wheel in Solidworks by using the "Configuration" feature. This allows you to create different versions of the wheel with varying sizes, materials, and other properties. You can then switch between these configurations to see how they affect your design.

3. How do I add bearings to a swivel wheel in Solidworks?

To add bearings to a swivel wheel in Solidworks, first create a sketch of the bearing and the wheel's axle. Then, use the "Mate" tool to align the bearing with the axle using the "Concentric" mate. Next, use the "Distance" mate to set the distance between the bearing and the wheel. Finally, use the "Tangent" mate to ensure the bearing and wheel are touching.

4. Can I simulate the motion of a swivel wheel in Solidworks?

Yes, you can simulate the motion of a swivel wheel in Solidworks by using the "Motion Study" tool. This allows you to see how the wheel will move and rotate in your design. You can also adjust the parameters to see how different forces or loads affect the wheel's motion.

5. Is there a way to test the strength of a swivel wheel attachment in Solidworks?

Yes, Solidworks has a "Simulation" tool that allows you to test the strength and durability of your design. You can apply different forces and loads to the swivel wheel attachment and see how it responds. This can help you determine if any changes need to be made to improve the strength and stability of the attachment.