1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Idempotent property

1. Nov 29, 2013 #1
    How do you show that a linear transformation is idempotent?

T:R^3 to R^3 T (x y z)^T = (0.5 (x-z) , y, 0.5 (z-x))

I have no idea where to begin. I know a few facts about idempotent properties e.g such as their eigenvalues are either 0 or 1. How would I show that the above transformation has these eigenvalues. I know how to find them but the above form has thrown me off. Would I have to just prove a couple of idempotent to show it is idempotent?
    Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why don't you just directly show that ##T^2=T##, either from the above definition or its matrix representation?

4. Nov 29, 2013 #3
    ok so how would I square this matrix? if I write it in matrix form would it be 0.5x-0.5x
    y
    -0.5z+0.5z

or do I not expand the bracket because the x variable and z variable cancel out?

5. Nov 29, 2013 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have to write it in matrix form if you want to get a matrix to square.$$
    T(x,y,z) = \begin{bmatrix} a&b&c\\d&e&f\\g&h&i\end{bmatrix}
    \begin{bmatrix}x\\y\\z\end{bmatrix}=
    \begin{bmatrix}\frac 12(x-z)\\y\\\frac 1 2(z-x)\end{bmatrix}$$Once you figure out that matrix ##A## you can square it to see if ##A^2=A##.

Also, as I suggested before, you have the formula for ##T(x,y,z)##. You could just apply it twice.

6. Nov 30, 2013 #5
    so if I multiply them I get ax+by+cz 0.5(x-z)
    dx+ey+fz = y
    gx+hy+iz 0.5(z-x)

Is that what you meant? I am not sure where I am going with this.

7. Nov 30, 2013 #6

Erland

Science Advisor

But it is obvious. If T(x,y,z)=(0.5(x-z), y, 0.5(z-x)) for all x,y,z, then what is T(0.5(x-z), y, 0.5(z-x))?

8. Nov 30, 2013 #7
    I honestly can not see the answer. Could you give me an example if you do not mind? It does not have to be this specific problem. maybe I am looking at the problem from a different angle if it is meant to be that obvious.
    is it
    0.5 0 -0.5
    0 1 0
    -0.5 0 0.5

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  9. Nov 30, 2013 #8

Erland

Science Advisor

You just have to calculate T(0.5(x-z), y, 0.5(z-x)) and see what the answer is.

10. Nov 30, 2013 #9
    ahh ok so the matrix representation is what I said above and then you just check the properties of the idempotent apply

11. Nov 30, 2013 #10

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that is the matrix representation. What happens if you square that matrix, which represents ##T^2##?

I am curious what course you are taking. Have you talked about matrix representations of linear transformations?

12. Nov 30, 2013 #11

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are making this way too difficult. You have the formula for ##T##. Could you calculate ##T(1,2,3)##? ##T(a,b,c)##? What about ##T(0.5(x-z), y, 0.5(z-x))##? Just use the formula.

13. Nov 30, 2013 #12
    I am doing maths.I find the course very well except for linear stuff. I can not picture things. Yeah if you square it you get itself again. we have only just touched on it. I am kind of going ahead of the course.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted