Show Idempotence of T:R^3 to R^3 Transformation

• Thread starter Maths2468
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Property
In summary: I wanted to know what exactly it was.What do you not understand?What do you not understand?I just do not understand how to show that a linear transformation is idempotent using the given formula. I am not sure what steps I need to take to show that it is idempotent.
Maths2468
How do you show that a linear transformation is idempotent?

T:R^3 to R^3 T (x y z)^T = (0.5 (x-z) , y, 0.5 (z-x))

I have no idea where to begin. I know a few facts about idempotent properties e.g such as their eigenvalues are either 0 or 1. How would I show that the above transformation has these eigenvalues. I know how to find them but the above form has thrown me off. Would I have to just prove a couple of idempotent to show it is idempotent?
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Maths2468 said:
How do you show that a linear transformation is idempotent?

T:R^3 to R^3 T (x y z)^T = (0.5 (x-z) , y, 0.5 (z-x))

I have no idea where to begin. I know a few facts about idempotent properties e.g such as their eigenvalues are either 0 or 1. How would I show that the above transformation has these eigenvalues. I know how to find them but the above form has thrown me off. Would I have to just prove a couple of idempotent to show it is idempotent?
Thanks in advance

Why don't you just directly show that ##T^2=T##, either from the above definition or its matrix representation?

LCKurtz said:
Why don't you just directly show that ##T^2=T##, either from the above definition or its matrix representation?

ok so how would I square this matrix? if I write it in matrix form would it be 0.5x-0.5x
y
-0.5z+0.5z

or do I not expand the bracket because the x variable and z variable cancel out?

Maths2468 said:
ok so how would I square this matrix? if I write it in matrix form would it be 0.5x-0.5x
y
-0.5z+0.5z

or do I not expand the bracket because the x variable and z variable cancel out?

You have to write it in matrix form if you want to get a matrix to square.$$
T(x,y,z) = \begin{bmatrix} a&b&c\\d&e&f\\g&h&i\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}x\\y\\z\end{bmatrix}=
\begin{bmatrix}\frac 12(x-z)\\y\\\frac 1 2(z-x)\end{bmatrix}$$Once you figure out that matrix ##A## you can square it to see if ##A^2=A##.

Also, as I suggested before, you have the formula for ##T(x,y,z)##. You could just apply it twice.

so if I multiply them I get ax+by+cz 0.5(x-z)
dx+ey+fz = y
gx+hy+iz 0.5(z-x)

Is that what you meant? I am not sure where I am going with this.

But it is obvious. If T(x,y,z)=(0.5(x-z), y, 0.5(z-x)) for all x,y,z, then what is T(0.5(x-z), y, 0.5(z-x))?

Erland said:
But it is obvious. If T(x,y,z)=(0.5(x-z), y, 0.5(z-x)) for all x,y,z, then what is T(0.5(x-z), y, 0.5(z-x))?

I honestly can not see the answer. Could you give me an example if you do not mind? It does not have to be this specific problem. maybe I am looking at the problem from a different angle if it is meant to be that obvious.
is it
0.5 0 -0.5
0 1 0
-0.5 0 0.5

Last edited:
You just have to calculate T(0.5(x-z), y, 0.5(z-x)) and see what the answer is.

Likes 1 person
Erland said:
You just have to calculate T(0.5(x-z), y, 0.5(z-x)) and see what the answer is.

ahh ok so the matrix representation is what I said above and then you just check the properties of the idempotent apply

Maths2468 said:
I honestly can not see the answer. Could you give me an example if you do not mind? It does not have to be this specific problem. maybe I am looking at the problem from a different angle if it is meant to be that obvious.
is it
Code:
       0.5   0   -0.5
       0     1    0
      -0.5   0    0.5

Yes, that is the matrix representation. What happens if you square that matrix, which represents ##T^2##?

I am curious what course you are taking. Have you talked about matrix representations of linear transformations?

Erland said:

Maths2468 said:
I honestly can not see the answer. Could you give me an example if you do not mind?

You are making this way too difficult. You have the formula for ##T##. Could you calculate ##T(1,2,3)##? ##T(a,b,c)##? What about ##T(0.5(x-z), y, 0.5(z-x))##? Just use the formula.

LCKurtz said:
Yes, that is the matrix representation. What happens if you square that matrix, which represents ##T^2##?

I am curious what course you are taking. Have you talked about matrix representations of linear transformations?

I am doing maths.I find the course very well except for linear stuff. I can not picture things. Yeah if you square it you get itself again. we have only just touched on it. I am kind of going ahead of the course.

1. What is "Show Idempotence of T:R^3 to R^3 Transformation"?

"Show Idempotence of T:R^3 to R^3 Transformation" is a mathematical concept that refers to a type of transformation, or function, that maps a three-dimensional vector space (R^3) onto itself. In other words, the input and output of the transformation are both three-dimensional vectors.

2. How do you prove that a transformation is idempotent?

In order to prove that a transformation is idempotent, you need to show that when the transformation is applied to a vector, the resulting vector is the same as the original vector. In mathematical terms, this can be expressed as T(v) = v, where T is the transformation and v is a vector in R^3.

3. Why is idempotence important in mathematics?

Idempotence is important in mathematics because it allows us to simplify and solve complex equations. It also helps us to identify patterns and symmetries in mathematical systems, which can lead to a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts.

4. Can a transformation be both idempotent and linear?

Yes, a transformation can be both idempotent and linear. In fact, all linear transformations are idempotent, as long as they are applied to the same vector multiple times. This can be seen by the fact that T(c*v) = c*T(v) = c*v, for any scalar c and vector v.

5. How is idempotence used in real-life applications?

Idempotence has many real-life applications, particularly in computer science and engineering. It is used in algorithms to simplify and optimize calculations, and in data storage systems to prevent duplicate data entries. It is also used in error-correcting codes and cryptography to ensure data integrity.