Webpage title: Understanding Crystal Planes in Materials Science

• Thread starter superwolf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Planes
In summary, there is not enough information to determine if the planes (1, 1, 2) and (-1, -1, -2) are identical or just parallel. This is because they are not mathematical planes, but rather two planes in a crystal. The vectors used to identify these planes do not refer to one specific plane, but rather a family of planes. The context of materials science is important in understanding the significance of these planes.
superwolf
Is plane (1 1 2) identical to (-1 -1 -2), or are they just parallel?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need more information...

The two vectors you supplied lie along the same line, right? But that's not enough to know if the planes are the same or not.

-Kerry

They are not vectors, but two planes in a crystal.

(1, 1, 2) and (-1, -1, -2) aren't planes. They can represent either vectors, or simply two separate points in three-space.

I agree with Kerry, you need more information to know how the planes in which these vectors/points lie relate to each other.

superwolf said:
They are not vectors, but two planes in a crystal.

Ahh... you should have mentioned that you are referring to materials science. We thought you were talking about mathematical planes...

Anyway, those are vectors, they're just used to identify crystalline planes. It's been a few years since I've had materials science, but I would say you probably still don't have enough information. They might be the same plane, they might be parallel, but why does it matter? What are you trying to solve? If you're trying to determine how a particular material will fail, then I would say that it doesn't matter. The vector refers to a direction, or a family of planes, not one specific plane.

-Kerry

1. Are identical planes a common occurrence in nature?

No, identical planes are not a common occurrence in nature. They are typically man-made objects that are precisely manufactured to match each other.

2. How can you determine if two planes are identical?

One way to determine if two planes are identical is to compare their dimensions, materials, and manufacturing processes. If these factors are exactly the same, then the planes are most likely identical.

3. Can identical planes have different performances?

Yes, even if two planes are identical, their performances can still differ due to external factors such as weather conditions, pilot skills, and maintenance. Additionally, small differences in manufacturing or assembly can also affect their performances.

4. Are identical planes always used for the same purposes?

No, identical planes can be used for different purposes depending on the needs of the operator. For example, a commercial plane and a military plane may be identical in design but have different functions and capabilities.

5. What are the benefits of having identical planes?

The main benefit of having identical planes is that it allows for easier maintenance and repairs. Since the planes have the same design and components, it is easier to troubleshoot and replace parts. It also allows for better efficiency in production and operations.