Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Identification of an object in the sky

1. Sep 7, 2005 #1
    I saw a star just yesterday night about southwest in the sky, and when viewed through my telescope it was flashing red and blue.It was no plane for it was there all night.Is this caused by the atmosphere?If not what is it?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2005 #2

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Atmospheric fluctuations [e.g., pockets of airborne moisture or particulate matter] are the likely explanation - especially when viewing objects near the horizon.

4. Sep 8, 2005 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Could you tell us your location, what time, and be more specific about where (direction and altitude) you saw this object? Also, how much brighter was it than other objects? Looking at a planetarium program, there isn't much in the southwest in the evening sky for an observer in the northern hemisphere.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2005
  5. Sep 8, 2005 #4
    Also, how regular was the flashing (this might help to find out if the observation was of artificial origin)

6. Sep 8, 2005 #5
    The flashing thing was under Jupiter. More west in the sky than south.The falshing was pretty consistent. Probably half second intervals every once in a while it went a slight shade of purple.Im in florida on the pan handle between the two cities(Destin and pensacola).

7. Sep 8, 2005 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Well, a couple of degrees to the left and slighly above Jupiter is Venus, and a couple of degrees to the right and slightly below is Spica, a 1st magnitude star. Being so low (they set at about 8:30), all would flicker a lot.

8. Sep 8, 2005 #7
    So the atmosphere causes the colors.I have never seen saturn yet. I will look tonihgt

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?