Identification of Compound:Spectral Analysis

In summary, the compound with the molecular formula C2H5O2N is ethanolamine and its IR frequencies correspond to O-H, N-H, conjugated C-H, C-O, C-N, C-C, and C-H bending. To remember these frequencies, creating an IR frequency chart can be helpful.
challarao
1. Organic compound having molecular formula C2H5O2N shown IR frequencies-
3428(sharp peak),2917,1886,1793,3357(Broad peak),145,1184.
Identify the compound and the possible structure.

2. Table of frequencies of corresponding groups.

3. I have tried to identify the frequencies given above correspond to which functional groups and other properties as below.
O-H(3357)
N-H(3428)
2917-Characteristics of conjugation due to C-H stretching
C-O(1184)
I was unable to identify the other frequencies,and I am not able to construct the compound even I identify all the frequencies.
Please guide me ,and tell me also away to remember these frequencies.Because,in exams they just give us frequencies and expecting the compound.

Physics news on Phys.org
The compound with the given molecular formula is ethanolamine (C2H5O2N). The structure of ethanolamine is shown below: The IR frequencies that you have mentioned correspond to the following functional groups: O-H (3357 cm-1): Hydroxyl group (alcohol) N-H (3428 cm-1): Amine group 2917 cm-1: Characteristic of conjugation due to C-H stretching C-O (1184 cm-1): Ether group 1886 cm-1: C-N stretching 1793 cm-1: C-C stretching 145 cm-1: C-H out of plane bending To remember the IR frequencies corresponding to different functional groups, it is helpful to make an IR frequency chart. This chart should include the range of frequencies for each functional group, and also the most common frequencies for each group. This will help you to easily identify the functional groups present in a molecule when given the IR frequencies.

1. What is spectral analysis?

Spectral analysis is a scientific method used to identify chemical compounds based on their unique spectral signatures. It involves studying the interaction of compounds with electromagnetic radiation, such as light, and analyzing the resulting spectrum to determine the compound's identity.

2. What types of electromagnetic radiation are used in spectral analysis?

Spectral analysis can use a variety of electromagnetic radiation, including infrared, ultraviolet, visible light, and X-rays. Each type of radiation provides different information about a compound, allowing for a more comprehensive analysis.

3. How does spectral analysis work?

Spectral analysis works by passing electromagnetic radiation through a sample of a compound and measuring the wavelengths of light that are absorbed or emitted. These wavelengths correspond to specific energy levels within the compound, which can be used to identify the compound's chemical structure.

4. What are the benefits of using spectral analysis?

Spectral analysis is a non-destructive and highly sensitive method of identifying compounds. It can be used to analyze a wide range of samples, including gases, liquids, and solids, and is often faster and more accurate than traditional chemical analysis methods.

5. What are some common applications of spectral analysis?

Spectral analysis has many practical applications, including environmental monitoring, forensic analysis, and pharmaceutical development. It is also widely used in academic research to study the chemical composition of various substances and to aid in the discovery of new compounds.