1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Identification of ions in mixture

1. Jul 11, 2009 #1
    I am prepare for a practical experiment,
    this is a practical experiment aim to identify the anions and cations in the solution,
    and those ions are choosed from Pb, Ba, Ca, Cu,Fe2, Fe3 and CO3, Cl, PO, SO, NO3.
    where can i find the solubility in water for any ionic compound that can be formed from above pair from internet, even i found it, how do i known whether it is soluble or insoluble. i have found some solubility in 'revelant solubility', i don't know what it means.

so far i have been told that the flame test is not available, so it mainly focused on the observation for the precipitate it formed. what could be the erorrs or something should be aware of to avoid errors, and what could be done to improve the reliability of the result.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2009 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Search on the solubility product for all of the binary compounds you can make between the anions and cations on that list. Assume the metals are cations and the nonmetals and polyatomics are anions.

4. Jul 13, 2009 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You may also google for solubility rules - while simplified, they can be sufficient for your task.

Chemical calculators at

5. Jul 13, 2009 #4
    those information are very useful, thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook