Proving an Interval for Arctan Function: A Convincing Approach

• Thread starter tomboi03
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interval
In summary: We can see that the left side is always negative and the right side is always positive, so we can ignore the signs and just focus on the inequality |x^5/5|< 10^{-15}. To solve this, we can take the fifth root of both sides (since the exponent is 5) to get |x|< 10^{-3}. This means that x can range from -10^{-3} to 10^{-3} in order for the inequality to hold. Therefore, the interval [-10^{-3}, 10^{-3}] satisfies the given conditions and is the required interval for x. In summary, the interval [-10^{-3}, 10^{-3}] will ensure that |arctan(x
tomboi03
Identify an interval [-a,a] so that
|arctan(x)-x+x^3/3| < or = 10^-15
for all x E [-a,a]. Your result needs to be supported by a convincing proof

I'm not sure how to go about this... can someone help me out?
all i could probably do is... since.. 10^-15 is close to zero, i can find out what the x's are equal to... but, i don't know what else i can do.

How would i be able to find the x's if there's an arctan? Is there any trig identities that i use?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: as you say that 10^{-15} is so close to zero, so probably will the boundary x's have to be. So try Taylor-expanding the arctan around x = 0. You might want to go up to 5th order :wink:

I'm not sure, how I'm suppose to find the boundaries of x... i got down to
|x^5/5| [tex]\leq[/tex] 10^-15

Is -a and a equal to.. -10^-15 and 10^-15 respectively?

If x^5/5 has to be smaller than 10^(-15), i.e. [tex]\frac{x^5}{5} \in [-10^{-15}, 10^{-15}][/tex], then which interval can x itself lie in?

tomboi03 said:
I'm not sure, how I'm suppose to find the boundaries of x... i got down to
|x^5/5| [tex]\leq[/tex] 10^-15

Is -a and a equal to.. -10^-15 and 10^-15 respectively?
So you want to solve the inequality -10^{-15}< x^5/5< 10^{-15}.

1. What is an interval?

An interval is a range of values on a number line between two given points. It can be represented as a closed or open interval, depending on whether the endpoints are included in the range or not.

2. How do you identify an interval?

To identify an interval, you need to determine the starting and ending points on the number line, and then determine whether those points are included in the range or not. You can then write the interval in the appropriate notation, such as [a,b] or (c,d).

3. What is the difference between an open and closed interval?

An open interval does not include its endpoints, while a closed interval includes its endpoints. For example, the interval (3,6) does not include 3 or 6, while the interval [3,6] includes both 3 and 6.

4. How do you graph an interval on a number line?

To graph an interval on a number line, you first plot the starting and ending points, making sure to include or exclude the endpoints based on the type of interval. Then, you fill in the space between the two points to represent the range of values within the interval.

5. What is the purpose of identifying intervals in mathematics?

Identifying intervals is important in mathematics because it allows us to define and work with ranges of values. This is useful in many areas of math, including calculus, statistics, and geometry. It also helps us to better understand and visualize the relationships between different sets of numbers.