Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Identify Acid using Stoic

1. Nov 16, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    8.040 grams of a strong, monoprotic acid was added to enough water to make 500 ml of solution and used o completely neutralize 2.080 g aluminum hydroixide. identify the acid.

2. Relevant equations

m1v1 = m2v2
    M = n/1 Liter
    3. The attempt at a solution

i know that 2.08 g of Aluminum hydroxide is 0.02667 mols using molar mass of Aluminum hydroxide.
    I also might know that there is 491.96 grams of water since i took the % from 8.040 grams/500 ml. Not sure if this is correct. I'm kinda stuck from here on.

I somewhat got a chemical equation going on with HX + Al(OH)3 --> H2O + AlX

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2017 #2

mjc123

Science Advisor

What do you think would be the stoichiometry of the HX - Al(OH)3 reaction?

4. Nov 16, 2017 #3
    You mean the mole conversions? I think X would have 3 mols right because Al has a +3 charge

5. Nov 16, 2017 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

See my comment in your second titration thread. Forget you ever saw this formula.

6. Nov 16, 2017 #5
    I'm aware that this formula won't work with this problem but I'm still stuck

7. Nov 16, 2017 #6

Borek

Balance the reaction correctly and use the masses given to calculate molar mass of HX.

8. Nov 16, 2017 #7
    Ok. I got 100 grams/lol of HX using 3 moles HX/1mol al (oh)2

So Since it says strong acid, I just have to match it to the molar mass of the list of strong acids I know right? It would be HCLO4 since it also as like 100g/mol

9. Nov 16, 2017 #8

Borek

Looks reasonable.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted