What is the Identity of the Acid Used to Neutralize Aluminum Hydroxide?

• Thread starter Lori
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid
In summary, 8.040 grams of a strong, monoprotic acid was added to 500 ml of water and used to completely neutralize 2.080 g of aluminum hydroxide. Based on the molar mass calculations, the acid is most likely HCLO4.
Lori

Homework Statement

8.040 grams of a strong, monoprotic acid was added to enough water to make 500 ml of solution and used o completely neutralize 2.080 g aluminum hydroixide. identify the acid.

Homework Equations

m1v1 = m2v2
M = n/1 Liter

The Attempt at a Solution

i know that 2.08 g of Aluminum hydroxide is 0.02667 mols using molar mass of Aluminum hydroxide.
I also might know that there is 491.96 grams of water since i took the % from 8.040 grams/500 ml. Not sure if this is correct. I'm kinda stuck from here on.

I somewhat got a chemical equation going on with HX + Al(OH)3 --> H2O + AlX

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think would be the stoichiometry of the HX - Al(OH)3 reaction?

You mean the mole conversions? I think X would have 3 mols right because Al has a +3 charge

Lori said:
m1v1 = m2v2

See my comment in your second titration thread. Forget you ever saw this formula.

Borek said:
See my comment in your second titration thread. Forget you ever saw this formula.
I'm aware that this formula won't work with this problem but I'm still stuck

Balance the reaction correctly and use the masses given to calculate molar mass of HX.

Ok. I got 100 grams/lol of HX using 3 moles HX/1mol al (oh)2

So Since it says strong acid, I just have to match it to the molar mass of the list of strong acids I know right? It would be HCLO4 since it also as like 100g/mol

Looks reasonable.

What is stoichiometry and how is it used to identify acids?

Stoichiometry is the quantitative study of the relationships between reactants and products in a chemical reaction. It is used to identify acids by calculating the ratio of moles of the acid to the moles of the reaction's other components.

How do you determine the concentration of an acid using stoichiometry?

To determine the concentration of an acid using stoichiometry, you must first know the moles of the acid and the volume of the solution. Then, using the formula M = moles/volume, you can calculate the concentration in units of molarity (M).

Can stoichiometry be used to identify any type of acid?

Yes, stoichiometry can be used to identify any type of acid as long as the reaction is balanced and the moles of the acid can be determined accurately.

What is the role of the acid in a stoichiometric reaction?

The acid is one of the reactants in a stoichiometric reaction and is responsible for donating hydrogen ions (H+) to the reaction. The amount of acid present will affect the overall balance of the reaction and the concentrations of the products.

Are there any limitations to using stoichiometry to identify acids?

Stoichiometry can only be used to identify acids in reactions where they are involved as a reactant. It cannot be used to identify acids in other contexts, such as in solutions or pure substances. Additionally, stoichiometry assumes ideal conditions and may not account for factors such as side reactions or incomplete reactions.