Identify Damaged Components?

• Thread starter TechTree
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi, So recently my charging port on my phone broke so I tried to charge it up internally (Connecting to the inner side of micro USB port from the circuit board) which I regret doing... As I was holding the charging wires in place I the wire slipped and touched the data wires in the micro USB port for a split second. Which created a familiar smell of burnt electronics.

And so my question: Is it possible that the phone may have survived this, although there was the smell of burning, or has a component definitely been damaged? If it has damaged something is there still a change that I could Identify that component and replace it?

Thanks. :wink:

Answers and Replies

Is it possible that the phone may have survived this, although there was the smell of burning, or has a component definitely been damaged?
Both. There is some chance that you burnt the protective diode matrix of the USB data lines only, for example. If so, then you still can charge (after replacing the connector), but it won't work as an USB port anymore.

Is there anything more to lose at this point with testing:rolleyes:

Both. There is some chance that you burnt the protective diode matrix of the USB data lines
Thanks for the reply, I took a photo of the part that looks damaged. Do you suspect this part is the protective diode matrix that you talked about? I can't seem to find any other abnormalities on the board other than this. Could the phone still work if I replace the port or externally charge the battery?

Thanks.

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

Attachments

If the second image bottom left corner is the USB connector, then please make a photo about that area, from both side of the PCB.

please make a photo about that area, from both side of the PCB.
Okay, I took three photos of the area. Including the broken Micro USB Port. :wink:

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

Attachments

On the second picture those four darker components, especially that square one near the connector. Those are the protective diodes. Most likely, at least.
I can see nothing, but that means exactly: nothing.

I can see nothing, but that means exactly: nothing.
Thanks for the response. Do you think it is worth repairing the charging port? Although I was certain I smelt something burn, if there's no physical damage would it still have a chance of working, or should I just scarp it for parts?

Thanks. :wink:

Can you switch it on with a charged battery?

Tom.G
Science Advisor
At least you learned something. Remove power sources before (attempting) repairs. :oops:

(Don't feel too bad, we've all done it!)

Cheers,
Tom

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
(Don't feel too bad, we've all done it!)
And probably more than once. :devil:

Can you switch it on with a charged battery?
I'll purchase an external battery charger, and give it a test. Hopefully It'll work, if not I have the fun task of retrieving all my data from the memory chip which would be a pain.
Remove power sources before (attempting) repairs. :oops:
I think I've learnt my lesson. :rolleyes: