Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Identify object?

1. Nov 20, 2009 #1

Danger

Gold Member

Hi, all. Can anyone tell me what on Earth this thing is?
    "[URL=[PLAIN]http://img27.imageshack.us/i/dcp0011.jpg/[/URL] [Broken]
    "[URL=[PLAIN]http://img266.imageshack.us/i/dcp0018.jpg/[/URL] [Broken]
    I figure that it might be some sort of kitchen utensil (maybe a strainer?), since I found it in drawer in my kitchen. Around here, though, that isn't necessarily so.
    The pictures are clickable for a larger image.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What's the writing on it say in the 2nd picture?

4. Nov 20, 2009 #3

Mk

Combination mason's trowel and cheese slicer?

5. Nov 20, 2009 #4

Dembadon

Gold Member

http://www.tias.com/8877/PictPage/1922746921.html [Broken]

You were right, Danger.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Nov 20, 2009 #5

DavidSnider

Gold Member

7. Nov 20, 2009 #6
    lol vintage 50s kitchen strainer :tongue: I don't know why I find this funny. I guess I just like poking fun at old people... haha.

8. Nov 20, 2009 #7
    Looks like a terrible design for a strainer. It can barely hold the stuff you're straining. It has no bowl, just a shallow dip where the slots are.

9. Nov 20, 2009 #8

Dembadon

Gold Member

I believe it's meant to be held against the base of one's pot / pan, keeping the food from spilling out as you tilt the container against the strainer. I have a similarly designed strainer and I use it for draining the grease out of pans that I do not want to empty it's contents into a separate container, but keep them inside the pan so that I can place it directly back onto the stovetop.

10. Nov 20, 2009 #9

Danger

Gold Member

Wow; that was fast! Thanks, guys.
    Good eye, Berkeman; that printing doesn't even show up in person unless I really look hard. I never noticed it before. The flash must have caught it just right. It does indeed read as indicated in Dembadon's link.
    :rofl:
    Believe it or not, both of those things crossed my mind when I first saw it.

11. Nov 20, 2009 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, I would have been favoring a trowel rather than a strainer too. :rofl: Neat concept, though. Looks a lot easier than trying to hold the lid "just so" while trying to tip out the water and keep in the vegetables or pasta (shush to those who would dare suggest a collander :grumpy:...there's no challenge to that except trying to dig the collander from the back of the cabinet where it's buried).

12. Nov 20, 2009 #11

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I have two of those. They are fantastic. Although I have lost the essential skill of draining a pot using the lid because of them.

13. Nov 20, 2009 #12

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We've got one of those pasta pots with holes in the lid for draining the water. I, however, have been banned from using it. Seems the last time I did, it malfunctioned and the lid popped off mid drain. Chaos ensued.

While I maintaine it was equipment failure the wife insists it was an operator issue.

14. Nov 20, 2009 #13
    Ingenious. I would have guessed some sort of device to make the time-gone equivalent of apple fritter hot pockets.

15. Nov 20, 2009 #14
    I thought it's an iron.

16. Nov 20, 2009 #15

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No; clearly it's a hammer.

17. Nov 20, 2009 #16
    Bundesarchiv_B_145_Bild-F001163-0012%2C_K%C3%B6ln%2C_Textilfabrik_Bierbaum-Proenen.jpg

The object in OP has very similar shape so obviously it is more of an iron than a hammer :)

18. Nov 21, 2009 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I have a pot like that, but I don't completely trust it. So, I'm voting on your side that it was equipment failure. :biggrin:

If it had a matching other half, that would have been my guess. I remember having one of those as a kid, and it was so fun! I rediscovered it as a teen, and whenever my parents went out of town and I was left to watch the house, I'd make all sorts of grilled pocket sandwich things in it (cheddar cheese, olives, and pizza sauce squashed inside sliced bread and grilled on the stove is a yummy snack). Can you get those tools for making those pocket sandwiches anymore?

19. Nov 21, 2009 #18

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Sure you can but mostly they are made for camping. I haven't seen a kitchen version in years.

20. Nov 21, 2009 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cool. I don't care if it's a version for camping. Afterall, what works over a campfire works over the flame on a gas stove. :biggrin:

21. Nov 21, 2009 #20

Danger

Gold Member

The two are largely interchangeable. You can pound nails with an iron (I've done it), and a hammer will remove wrinkles if properly applied.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook