What Is This Mystery Kitchen Utensil?

• Thread starter Danger
  • Start date
In summary: The object in OP has very similar shape so obviously it is more of an iron than a hammer :)We've got one of those pasta pots with holes in the lid for draining the water. I, however, have been banned from using it. Seems the last time I did, it malfunctioned and the lid popped off mid drain. Chaos ensued. While I maintaine it was equipment failure the wife insists it was an operator issue.
Check this out. It's currently in production and everything.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=60039&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=504261&feat=504261-tn&cat4=504259"

What do you think Moonbear?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Phrak said:
Check this out. It's currently in production and everything.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=60039&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=504261&feat=504261-tn&cat4=504259"

What do you think Moonbear?

Cool! Though, $25 seems rather spendy for such a simple gadget. I wonder if it's very heavy? I think the originals were just cheap aluminum or maybe stainless steel, not cast iron!

Moonbear said:
Cool! Though, $25 seems rather spendy for such a simple gadget. I wonder if it's very heavy? I think the originals were just cheap aluminum or maybe stainless steel, not cast iron!

It could be a little light-weight as it's advertized as camping equipment. The mass should be important in it's ability to retain thermal heat for even grilling, which may be a bit thin for the camping equipment--as you wonder too!

I'm comparing, this somewhat overpriced device, given it's simplicty, to electric devices. The electric things I've located seem to always divide the sandwich down the middle. I don't like the idea of dividing down the middle. It would make for more bread than the goodies inside.

It seems like a bad idea on the part of the electric model makers. Bread is a vehicle for tasty stuff that asks for a starchy conveyance. Without the divider, one is freer to decide the optimum ratio of bread to stuffing.

On the defense of the electric devices that manage to make pocket sandwiches, they are equivalently priced--just a tad higher at 29 bucks for the cheapest vs. 25, and they have the added convenience as well.

Currently I'm leaning toward the camping model.

Last edited:
I thought it would be a good idea to put up an electric pocket sandwich maker for comparison. I lost the original at $29, so here's another, and it's only 18 dollars.

http://www.graphicice.com/index.php/action/prodspec/itemID/352917217"