Identify Composition of Soap + Ferrous Sulfate Precipitate

• Thread starter TalonD
  • Start date
In summary, a person has created a precipitate and is seeking help from chemists to determine its composition. The precipitate was formed by dissolving ivory soap in hot water and adding a solution of ferrous sulfate. It appears to be a mixture of iron oxide and ferrous salt of fatty acids, with the exact composition dependent on the composition of the ivory soap.
TalonD
I have made a precipitate that I would like to know the composition of but I'm not a chemist so maybe some of you can help. If you dissolve soap, specifically ivory soap in hot water so that it is saturated with soap and then if you pour into that a solution of ferrous sulfate dissolved in water, a precipitate will form. This grey colored precipitate after it dries turns a red color so I assume it is some form of iron oxide but what exactly would it's composition be?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I bet it is some mixture, and the exact composition will depend on the exact composition of the ivory soap.

Ferrous salt of fatty acids seem to be the most obvious culprit.

What is soap?

Soap is a substance that is used for cleaning and is made from a mixture of fat or oil, water, and an alkali (such as sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide).

What is ferrous sulfate?

Ferrous sulfate is a chemical compound that is commonly used as a supplement for iron deficiency. It is also used as a colorant and in the production of other chemicals.

How is soap made?

Soap is made through a process called saponification, which involves mixing a fat or oil with an alkali (such as sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide) and heating the mixture. This causes a chemical reaction that produces soap.

What is the composition of soap?

The composition of soap varies depending on the ingredients used, but it is generally made up of fatty acids, alkali, and water. Some soaps may also contain additional ingredients such as fragrances or moisturizers.

Why is ferrous sulfate used in soap making?

Ferrous sulfate is sometimes added to soap as a colorant, giving it a darker or more opaque appearance. It can also help to increase the shelf life of the soap by acting as a preservative.