Identifyin unknown compounds

• Thread starter elliegurl297
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compounds
In summary, to identify these 6 compounds, you can use various tests such as the Molisch test, nitrile test, esterification test, and carbylamine test using the limited resources provided.
elliegurl297
I have my ch6 practical coursework coming up and we have to identify 6 compounds and theirs 8 all together that they could be.
what test can i use to show I have diphenylmethanone, benzonitrile, ethyl benzenecarboxylate (aromatic ester) and ethanamide?

I've been trying to think what i could do now for past week and I just keep going round in circles. There is limited resources I can use too :
dilute sodium hydoxide
dilute sulfuric acid
sodium hydrogencarbonate
litmus paper
sodium nitrite
tollens and iodoform
methanol

I know that the ester is insolule in water so i would try to dissolve it in methanol.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
!Diphenylmethanone: To identify diphenylmethanone, you can perform a Molisch test. Add a few drops of concentrated sulfuric acid to a sample of the compound and place a drop of a-naphthol solution on top of the mixture. If a violet ring appears at the interface, then the compound is likely diphenylmethanone. Benzonitrile: To identify benzonitrile, you can perform a nitrile test. Add a few drops of dilute sodium hydroxide to a sample of the compound and if a white precipitate forms, then the compound is likely benzonitrile. Ethyl Benzenecarboxylate (Aromatic Ester): To identify an aromatic ester, you can perform an esterification test. Add a few drops of dilute sulfuric acid to a sample of the compound and warm the mixture gently. If an odor of ethyl alcohol is detected, then the compound is likely an aromatic ester. Ethanamide: To identify ethanamide, you can perform a carbylamine test. Add a few drops of dilute sodium hydrogencarbonate to a sample of the compound, followed by a few drops of dilute sodium nitrite. Then add a few drops of chloroform and shake the mixture vigorously. If an ammonia smell is detected, then the compound is likely ethanamide.

What is the purpose of identifying unknown compounds?

The purpose of identifying unknown compounds is to determine their chemical structure and properties. This information can be used for various purposes, such as drug development, environmental analysis, and quality control in industries.

What are the common methods used for identifying unknown compounds?

The common methods used for identifying unknown compounds include spectroscopy (such as infrared, nuclear magnetic resonance, and mass spectrometry), chromatography (such as gas and liquid chromatography), and elemental analysis.

What are the challenges in identifying unknown compounds?

Identifying unknown compounds can be challenging due to the vast number of possible chemical structures, the complexity of natural and synthetic compounds, and the presence of impurities. Additionally, some compounds may not have a known reference spectrum or may have similar spectra to other compounds, making identification difficult.

What are the steps involved in identifying unknown compounds?

The steps involved in identifying unknown compounds include sample preparation, data acquisition and analysis, comparison to reference spectra or databases, and confirmation of results using complementary methods. It is also important to consider the compound's physical and chemical properties and any available information about its source or potential functional groups.

Why is it important to identify unknown compounds accurately?

Accurate identification of unknown compounds is crucial for understanding their potential uses, risks, and effects. It is also essential for ensuring the safety and quality of products and materials in various industries, as well as for environmental and health concerns. Additionally, identifying unknown compounds can lead to the discovery of new compounds and advancements in science and technology.