What steps should I take to identify this mysterious bacteria in my lab?

• Thread starter Pakbabydoll
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bacteria
In summary, the microbiology major is trying to identify a microorganism that was isolated from a sample and it is difficult because they don't have any information about where the sample came from or what organism it is. They are limited to tests that are available to undergraduates and they are not sure if they should use 16S sequence and PCR or phenotype.
Pakbabydoll
ok so I work in a chemistry lab but I am a microbiology major. Our lab works with endophytes. We have a positive result for one of them and I have to identify this thing by April. This task seems impossible to me. They did not keep track of where this sample came from or even which organism it was isolated from. All they have is that it is a white bacteria (like that's helpful). I did a gram stain and it is a gram positive cocci ( not a small category). Since it is a chemistry lab I am very limited in what tests I can actually do. I am only an undergrad and I have no idea where to go from here. My graduate student is also a chemistry person. So no help there.

Please HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are a microbiology major and you do not know how to identify a microorganism? That is very surprising. I don't know the English name for the test, but there is a series of tests that are done by growing the microorganism in test tubes on different media that helps in the identifications of microorganisms. The color of the tubes after incubation is dependent on the biochemistry and is used for the classification.

I looked it up and apparently it is called an API test, you should look up the information on how to formulate the media for the tests yourself.

As far as I know API is used only for gram negative rods, mine is a gram positive cocci. So I can't use API. We had to find unknowns in our microbiology class but we were given a list of 20 some bacteria so I had a strategy. Here there is no list, I don't have any information except that its a Gram positive cocci. I think I might end up having to use 16S sequence and PCR. However I don't know much about them not to mention our lab does not have the capability to do that since we are chemistry I'll have to ask a biology lab to help me with that.. Using phenotype as a way to identifying something that I have no idea. Its a very vague task?

So you couldn't conclude further based on your gram stain? Just that it's a gram positive cocci? That's odd, judging from the size and shape you should be able to break it down even further... maybe even make a identification such as would be the case if it were pneumococcus.

There are various systems however like the API system for specifically identifying gram-positive cocci. They hold similar ratings.

Well this bacteria is a little different. Its def a bacteria but it exhibits fungal form of growth. Its an endophyte so a lot is not known about them specially since our sample is from somewhere very unusual. I got the permission to use another lab and I extracted the DNA Friday, I am planning on doing the PCR Monday and so hopefully we'll know what it is in 7-10 days! I don't know weather I want it to be something known or unknown. Of course I mean statistically its probably known but we do get our samples from an unusual place so it might be unknown.

o when I say fungal form of growth I mean when we grow it over night in TSB first there is very low count and 2nd it looks fungal in strings and all, and I put it on BA to check for hemolysis but it looked like yeast on BA. I also got a positive for MSA and MYP agars.

1. What is the process for identifying a bacteria?

The process for identifying a bacteria typically involves collecting a sample, culturing the bacteria, and performing various tests to determine its characteristics. These tests can include biochemical tests, morphological tests, and genetic tests.

2. How do you culture a bacteria sample?

To culture a bacteria sample, a small amount of the sample is placed onto a solid or liquid medium that contains the necessary nutrients for the bacteria to grow. The medium is then incubated at the appropriate temperature and conditions for the bacteria to grow and form visible colonies.

3. What are some common biochemical tests used in identifying a bacteria?

Some common biochemical tests used in identifying a bacteria include the Gram stain test, which helps determine the bacteria's cell wall composition, and the catalase test, which indicates the presence of the enzyme catalase in the bacteria.

4. How is genetic testing used in identifying a bacteria?

Genetic testing, such as DNA sequencing, can be used to identify specific genes or sequences in a bacteria's genome. This information can help determine the bacteria's species and potential virulence factors.

5. Are there any limitations to identifying a bacteria?

Yes, there are limitations to identifying a bacteria. Some bacteria may be difficult to culture or may require specialized techniques for identification. Additionally, some bacteria may have similar characteristics, making it challenging to differentiate between them using standard tests. In these cases, further testing or expert consultation may be necessary for accurate identification.