Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Identifying a diode brand

1. Sep 28, 2015 #1

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a metal diode that has a maximum reverse breakdown voltage of about 11.500 V and a turn on voltage of about 0.750 V.

Below is a plot of the reverse linear IV characteristic where the metal diode is marked by an orange dot.

Below that is a plot of the forward linear IV characteristic where the metal diode is again marked by an orange dot.

Reverse IV Curves Linear.PNG

Diode & BJT IV Curves.PNG

I suspect the metal diode is some type of 1NXXXX diode, but I am unsure what specific model it is.

I also remember the diode itself was small and grey with a black strip indicating the cathode.

If anyone might know what specific model this diode is, I would love to know.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2015 #2

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Sep 28, 2015 #3

Svein

Science Advisor

Then obviously you are looking for a silicon diode / rectifier. Or do you mean a Zener diode? Anyhow, On semiconductor (http://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions/home.do) is the successor to Motorola's discretes. I suggest you look there.

5. Sep 28, 2015 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

I think the diode is a 1N4737 after looking at some data sheets. I'm still not 100% certain which diode it is though, what would you guys think?

6. Sep 28, 2015 #5

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

would you post a link to the datasheet, or snip&paste ?

7. Sep 28, 2015 #6

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Disregard my last post. I think I found a better option:

Screen Shot 2015-09-28 at 3.02.36 PM.png

The closest ##V_Z## would be the 1N5927B, G with a ##V_{Z_{min}} = 11.40 V##

8. Sep 28, 2015 #7

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Are you trying to identify it, or find a replacement ?

Datasheets give other clues besides electrical characteristics, and hints for use.

upload_2015-9-28_17-9-50.png

http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/1N5913B-D.PDF

if the one you tested has a metal case it's probably rated a watt or more
    your 1N5927 is a 3 watt as you doubtless noted.

Be aware of importance of keeping the leads short on such a device that's going to be operated near its rated power

upload_2015-9-28_17-15-33.png

old jim

9. Sep 28, 2015 #8

Baluncore

Science Advisor

How about a photo of the original diode with dimensions. From that we can identify the package standard and then power rating.
    A replacement zenner diode can then be selected from currently available parts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook