Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Identifying an electric fan motor

1. Aug 23, 2005 #1
    I need help in identifying this electric fan motor and its parts for a project documentation. Please see the pictures.

I would like to ask:
    - What specific kind of AC motor is this?
    - I am to separate each part of the motor, identify each part and its function. Can anyone cite documentations or helpful diagrams about this?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2005 #2

Staff: Mentor

4. Aug 23, 2005 #3

Gold Member

Once again, I'm no expert in this, but I've taken apart and/or fixed a lot of fans, and this motor would appear to be pretty old. You didn't mention what kind of fan it is, though. From the apparent scale clues, I suspect that it's for some kind of heating or ventilation system; it looks too big to be a simple cooling fan and they don't have dual shafts.
    From the size, and the cluster of components tied to it, I would suspect just off the top of my head that it's a capacitor-start 120VAC unit, which should run at 1750 rpm and is suitable for high-torque applications. As I said, though... that's just a guess.
  5. Aug 23, 2005 #4
    I'm sorry for not posting the details.

Anyway, this is just a typical fan for the household. It runs at 220V because it's standard here in our country, has 3 speed button settings (high, med, lo listed as 3, 2, 1)... and an off button (listed as 0).

It looks like this: http://electric-fan.com/photos/2098-b.jpg

I hope you could help further on this, thanks.
  6. Aug 23, 2005 #5

Gold Member

Wooo, was I ever off! If my scale perception was right, it's bigger than a similar fan here, but that's probably just to accommodate the double voltage. The external components are therefore the speed selection circuitry, and I assume that the ass-end shaft is a PTO for the reciprocating mechanism (it's usually done differently over here). Sorry... I will be essentially useless in this thread.
  7. Aug 23, 2005 #6
    Hmm... I see. You mean that electric fans over here are done differently?
    In any case that is helpful information, thank you. When you said "capacitor-start", I researched about it, and it opened up a whole slew of induction motor types. Chances are this electric fan is indeed an AC induction motor, all I need now is the specific kind.

Anyone else?
  8. Aug 23, 2005 #7

Gold Member

Apparently. I have one in pieces right beside me that I'm in the midst of repairing. Here, the motor isn't encased, and the gearbox to run the oscillator crank is built directly onto the back of the laminate structure.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?