Identifying an electric fan motor

In summary: There are three speed selections with a knob on top, and a switch to turn it off. In summary, this electric fan is an older model and appears to be designed for a different kind of fan application. It has a capacitor-start mechanism and three speed selections.
bluemist
I need help in identifying this electric fan motor and its parts for a project documentation. Please see the pictures.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/malinis/DSC00093.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/malinis/DSC00094.jpg

I would like to ask:
- What specific kind of AC motor is this?
- I am to separate each part of the motor, identify each part and its function. Can anyone cite documentations or helpful diagrams about this?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Once again, I'm no expert in this, but I've taken apart and/or fixed a lot of fans, and this motor would appear to be pretty old. You didn't mention what kind of fan it is, though. From the apparent scale clues, I suspect that it's for some kind of heating or ventilation system; it looks too big to be a simple cooling fan and they don't have dual shafts.
From the size, and the cluster of components tied to it, I would suspect just off the top of my head that it's a capacitor-start 120VAC unit, which should run at 1750 rpm and is suitable for high-torque applications. As I said, though... that's just a guess.

I'm sorry for not posting the details.

Anyway, this is just a typical fan for the household. It runs at 220V because it's standard here in our country, has 3 speed button settings (high, med, lo listed as 3, 2, 1)... and an off button (listed as 0).

It looks like this: http://electric-fan.com/photos/2098-b.jpg

I hope you could help further on this, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wooo, was I ever off! If my scale perception was right, it's bigger than a similar fan here, but that's probably just to accommodate the double voltage. The external components are therefore the speed selection circuitry, and I assume that the ass-end shaft is a PTO for the reciprocating mechanism (it's usually done differently over here). Sorry... I will be essentially useless in this thread.

Hmm... I see. You mean that electric fans over here are done differently?
In any case that is helpful information, thank you. When you said "capacitor-start", I researched about it, and it opened up a whole slew of induction motor types. Chances are this electric fan is indeed an AC induction motor, all I need now is the specific kind.

Anyone else?

bluemist said:
Hmm... I see. You mean that electric fans over here are done differently?
Apparently. I have one in pieces right beside me that I'm in the midst of repairing. Here, the motor isn't encased, and the gearbox to run the oscillator crank is built directly onto the back of the laminate structure.

1. How do I determine the voltage of an electric fan motor?

The voltage of an electric fan motor can typically be found on the manufacturer's label or in the product manual. It is important to match the voltage of the fan motor to the voltage of your power source to ensure safe and efficient operation.

2. What is the best way to identify the type of electric fan motor I have?

The best way to identify the type of electric fan motor is by examining the manufacturer's label or product manual. This will typically include information such as the motor type, model number, and specifications such as voltage, horsepower, and speed.

3. Can I use a universal motor in place of a specific fan motor?

It is not recommended to use a universal motor in place of a specific fan motor. Universal motors are designed for general use and may not provide the optimal performance or safety features needed for a specific fan motor. It is best to use a motor that is specifically designed for the intended use.

4. How do I know if my electric fan motor needs to be replaced?

If your fan is not working properly or making unusual noises, it may be a sign that the motor needs to be replaced. You can also test the motor using a multimeter to check for continuity and proper voltage. If the motor fails these tests, it may be time for a replacement.

5. Can I repair a damaged electric fan motor?

In most cases, it is not recommended to repair a damaged electric fan motor. It is often more cost-effective and safer to replace the motor instead. Attempting to repair a damaged motor can also be dangerous and should only be done by a trained professional.