1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Identifying an RF signal...

1. Dec 12, 2016 #1
    Looked at a RF spectrum that came from the IF output on a radio so it was not tuned thru the radio filters, just whatever the HF antenna was capable of.

A pulse went across the entire spectrum slow enough to see it sweep across the screen.

The pulses were not regularly spaced but came in bursts on average prolly 1 every 30 seconds.

Lots if people in my circle know it.

The hypothesis is Chinese OTHR, purpose unknown.

How can one identify such a thing.

I can video the computer screen this Friday if that helps.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2016 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is the frequency range of the frequency spike?
    Does its rate of change of frequency change if you scan at different rates? That may or may not apply to different forms of frequency analysis.
    If you could operate your receiver at two or more different sites, you could see if the level changes much. If not much then probably a distant source but if a lot then probably a local source.
    I assume you have tried turning on and off any local possible sources of interference - before looking for the 'exotic' cause. Interesting, though.

4. Dec 12, 2016 #3
    Good questions I will follow up on, thanks.

Not sure what I am looking at given we have a fixed antenna that is working so far off resonance. Does that change how the pulse looks. Does an off resonant antenna work like a resonant antenna just "weakerly".

I will reference yr screen name live so you know my video is legit.

5. Dec 12, 2016 #4

tech99

Gold Member

The spectrum is so polluted now that it is very hard to identify pulse-like transmissions without really good detective work with known reliable equipment. On the face of it I can't see why an OTH would have such a slow PRF and transmit simple pulses.

6. Dec 12, 2016 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

you really have given far too little info to be helpful

describe you exact setup ( preferably with diagrams) starting at the antenna and going through
    to what ever you have connected to the IF output

1) what is the receiver ?
    2) what frequency was it tuned to
    3) does it have more than 1 IF frequency ? if so what are they

what were you using to look at the spectrum ??

if you say an oscilloscope, then my response will be you should be using a spectrum analyser
    an oscilloscope scans in time, a spectrum analyser scans in frequency

the pulse on the oscilloscope could be just indicating a burst of signal on the freq set by the receivers IF
    it tells you nothing about the frequency of the signal

Dave

7. Dec 12, 2016 #6
    We used an RF spectrum analyzer and a HF antenna. The frequency of the pulse went across the entire spectrum.

Sort of like a navigation beacon but we know all them so something artificial but not known yet.

8. Dec 12, 2016 #7

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

and what else ?
    you commented on an IF
    your description of a pulse didn't match using a spectrum analyser

9. Dec 12, 2016 #8

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

the Chinese radar sits on one freq for a period of time before freq hopping to a different freq with better propagation
    the old Russian OTHR did the dame thing .... unaffectionally known as the "woodpecker"

10. Dec 12, 2016 #9

If you have a spare few hours I will tell all about the station. What else would you like to know specifically?

11. Dec 12, 2016 #10

Will post a video if I get permission. You won't see many better stations in civvy or non commercial world.

12. Dec 12, 2016 #11

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

have already asked twice ... what was the IF thing you spoke of
    an IF assumes a receiver, and I asked about that too

IF you are really using a spec an, then it alone should be connected to the antenna ... NOT via a receiver

13. Dec 12, 2016 #12
    Wrong, the IF internal port bypasses the receiver filters. The spec is connected to the antenna and so is the radio to the same antenna.

14. Dec 12, 2016 #13

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

not normally wrong

so AGAIN, WHAT is the receiver ??

PLEASE stop making it difficult for people to help you and answer the Q's when asked
    dragging every bit of info out of you tiny bit at a time is a pain in the butt

WHAT is the IF freq?

15. Dec 12, 2016 #14
    You mean model/ brand??

16. Dec 12, 2016 #15

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

YES!!

17. Dec 12, 2016 #16

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The word "pulse" implies a short burst in time. A spectrum analyser shows the frequency spectrum. The frequency spectrum of a pulse is not a single peak of frequency. What your trace is showing is a signal of narrow bandwidth with a centre frequency that's sweeping about slowly.

18. Dec 12, 2016 #17
    Yes that is what I am seeing and pulse seemed a more efficient way of saying it.

Dave it's a Kenwood, will find out the model.

19. Dec 12, 2016 #18

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"Spike" might be less confusing, perhaps. That has no 'temporal' connotations - as in time domain.

20. Dec 13, 2016 #19

Tom.G

Science Advisor

Try turning off the Kenwood. It may be scanning for signals and leaking interference back to the antenna.

21. Dec 13, 2016 #20

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

why have the radio there ? .... it's only confusing the issue and isn't doing anything to help the situation

yes, you could easily be seeing signals from the radio .... take it our of the equation and connect the spec an directly to the antenna coax
    With NOTHING else connected to the same antenna

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted