Can You Identify This Mysterious RF Signal at Night?

• B
  • Thread starter houlahound
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rf Signal
In summary, the conversation discusses a RF spectrum that was observed using an RF spectrum analyzer and a HF antenna, with the pulses coming in bursts about once every 30 seconds. The hypothesis is that it may be a Chinese OTHR with unknown purpose, and there are plans to identify it by video recording the computer screen. The conversation also discusses the possible setup and equipment used, such as the receiver and its IF frequency. The person being asked for more information provides details and clarifications, such as the use of a spectrum analyzer instead of an oscilloscope, and the fact that the IF internal port bypasses the receiver filters. They also mention that the pulse across the spectrum may be better described as a "spike" instead.
houlahound
Looked at a RF spectrum that came from the IF output on a radio so it was not tuned thru the radio filters, just whatever the HF antenna was capable of.

A pulse went across the entire spectrum slow enough to see it sweep across the screen.

The pulses were not regularly spaced but came in bursts on average prolly 1 every 30 seconds.

Lots if people in my circle know it.

The hypothesis is Chinese OTHR, purpose unknown.

How can one identify such a thing.

I can video the computer screen this Friday if that helps.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the frequency range of the frequency spike?
Does its rate of change of frequency change if you scan at different rates? That may or may not apply to different forms of frequency analysis.
If you could operate your receiver at two or more different sites, you could see if the level changes much. If not much then probably a distant source but if a lot then probably a local source.
I assume you have tried turning on and off any local possible sources of interference - before looking for the 'exotic' cause. Interesting, though.

Good questions I will follow up on, thanks.

Not sure what I am looking at given we have a fixed antenna that is working so far off resonance. Does that change how the pulse looks. Does an off resonant antenna work like a resonant antenna just "weakerly".

I will reference yr screen name live so you know my video is legit.

Last edited:
The spectrum is so polluted now that it is very hard to identify pulse-like transmissions without really good detective work with known reliable equipment. On the face of it I can't see why an OTH would have such a slow PRF and transmit simple pulses.

you really have given far too little info to be helpful

describe you exact setup ( preferably with diagrams) starting at the antenna and going through
to what ever you have connected to the IF output

1) what is the receiver ?
2) what frequency was it tuned to
3) does it have more than 1 IF frequency ? if so what are they

houlahound said:
Looked at a RF spectrum that came from the IF output on a radio so it was not tuned thru the radio filters, just whatever the HF antenna was capable of.

what were you using to look at the spectrum ??

if you say an oscilloscope, then my response will be you should be using a spectrum analyser
an oscilloscope scans in time, a spectrum analyser scans in frequency

the pulse on the oscilloscope could be just indicating a burst of signal on the freq set by the receivers IF
it tells you nothing about the frequency of the signalDave

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
We used an RF spectrum analyzer and a HF antenna. The frequency of the pulse went across the entire spectrum.

Sort of like a navigation beacon but we know all them so something artificial but not known yet.

houlahound said:
We used an RF spectrum analyzer and a HF antenna.

and what else ?
you commented on an IF
your description of a pulse didn't match using a spectrum analyser

houlahound said:
the Chinese radar sits on one freq for a period of time before freq hopping to a different freq with better propagation
the old Russian OTHR did the dame thing ... unaffectionally known as the "woodpecker"

davenn said:
and what else ?
you commented on an IF
your description of a pulse didn't match using a spectrum analyser
If you have a spare few hours I will tell all about the station. What else would you like to know specifically?

davenn said:
you really have given far too little info to be helpful

describe you exact setup ( preferably with diagrams) starting at the antenna and going through
to what ever you have connected to the IF output

1) what is the receiver ?
2) what frequency was it tuned to
3) does it have more than 1 IF frequency ? if so what are they
what were you using to look at the spectrum ??

if you say an oscilloscope, then my response will be you should be using a spectrum analyser
an oscilloscope scans in time, a spectrum scans in frequency

the pulse on the oscilloscope could be just indicating a burst of signal on the freq set by the receivers IF
it tells you nothing about the frequency of the signalDave

Will post a video if I get permission. You won't see many better stations in civvy or non commercial world.

houlahound said:
What else would you like to know specifically?

have already asked twice ... what was the IF thing you spoke of
an IF assumes a receiver, and I asked about that too

IF you are really using a spec an, then it alone should be connected to the antenna ... NOT via a receiver

Wrong, the IF internal port bypasses the receiver filters. The spec is connected to the antenna and so is the radio to the same antenna.

houlahound said:
Wrong, the IF internal port bypasses the receiver filters.

not normally wrong

so AGAIN, WHAT is the receiver ??

PLEASE stop making it difficult for people to help you and answer the Q's when asked
dragging every bit of info out of you tiny bit at a time is a pain in the butt

WHAT is the IF freq?

You mean model/ brand??

houlahound said:
You mean model/ brand??
YES!

houlahound said:
A pulse went across the entire spectrum slow enough to see it sweep across the screen.
The word "pulse" implies a short burst in time. A spectrum analyser shows the frequency spectrum. The frequency spectrum of a pulse is not a single peak of frequency. What your trace is showing is a signal of narrow bandwidth with a centre frequency that's sweeping about slowly.

Likes Delta2
sophiecentaur said:
. What your trace is showing is a signal of narrow bandwidth with a centre frequency that's sweeping about slowly.

Yes that is what I am seeing and pulse seemed a more efficient way of saying it.

Dave it's a Kenwood, will find out the model.

houlahound said:
Yes that is what I am seeing and pulse seemed a more efficient way of saying it.

Dave it's a Kenwood, will find out the model.
"Spike" might be less confusing, perhaps. That has no 'temporal' connotations - as in time domain.

Try turning off the Kenwood. It may be scanning for signals and leaking interference back to the antenna.

houlahound said:
Wrong, the IF internal port bypasses the receiver filters. The spec is connected to the antenna and so is the radio to the same antenna.

why have the radio there ? ... it's only confusing the issue and isn't doing anything to help the situation

Tom.G said:
Try turning off the Kenwood. It may be scanning for signals and leaking interference back to the antenna.

yes, you could easily be seeing signals from the radio ... take it our of the equation and connect the spec an directly to the antenna coax
With NOTHING else connected to the same antenna

davenn said:
why have the radio there ? ... it's only confusing the issue and isn't doing anything to help the situation
Yes.
In the absence of filtering, that signal could be getting mixed in from anywhere at a different frequency. You have to hope that the spekky annie can cope with what you're looking at or it will involve an extra home-built RF filter to make sure you know what's being looked at.
There are checks you can do, like seeing if the displayed signal actually drops by 10dB for a gain change of 10dB. My (fairly significant) experience of RF spectrum analysers is limited to high end analogue versions from the past but the 'rules' still apply to digital versions (plus extra stuff because of the sampling).

There is a signal that I pick up on my SDR (a lot like a Analyzer) on HF. Looks rather like what you describe. Called CODAR. Do you live "near" the ocean?

Google CODAR.

DC

Well, that was supposed to be a youtube link. Just check out CODAR on line plenty of info.
DC

Likes houlahound
Nice, my signal is not periodic like yours and scans a bit slower.

Link worked fine.

houlahound said:
Will post a video if I get permission
houlahound said:
Nice, my signal is not periodic like yours and scans a bit slower.
Sorry if I missed it, but did you post your video, along with a block diagram of your setup and pictures of your antenna? That would help a lot...

as mentioned my next planned visit to the station is this weekend. if I am allowed, and can't see why not, I will video the screen.

houlahound said:

The pulses were not regularly spaced but came in bursts on average prolly 1 every 30 seconds.

Lots if people in my circle know it.

How can one identify such a thing.

I can video the computer screen this Friday if that helps.
Sounds like some variation on 'over the horizon' radar, using long term pulses to see things thousands of miles away on radar screens.

litup said:
Sounds like some variation on 'over the horizon' radar, using long term pulses to see things thousands of miles away on radar screens.

it as said, could be any random noise from a number of sources, specially the radio he has hanging off the same antenna

lets await for him to make more posts on the setup before making lots of guesses

Likes berkeman
I plan to be on the 40m band this weekend some time at night.

houlahound said:
this weekend some time at night.

at nite, where ?

1. What is an RF signal?

An RF (radio frequency) signal is an electromagnetic wave that is used to transmit information through the air. It is commonly used in wireless communication systems such as radio, television, and cell phones.

2. How can I identify an RF signal at night?

To identify an RF signal at night, you can use a radio frequency spectrum analyzer or a software-defined radio. These tools can detect and display the frequency, amplitude, and other characteristics of the signal.

3. What are some possible sources of mysterious RF signals at night?

Mysterious RF signals at night can come from a variety of sources, such as radio transmitters, satellite communication systems, radar systems, and even natural sources such as lightning or solar activity.

4. Can I determine the purpose of a mysterious RF signal at night?

It can be difficult to determine the exact purpose of a mysterious RF signal at night without further investigation. However, analyzing the frequency, modulation, and other characteristics of the signal can provide clues about its potential use.

5. Are mysterious RF signals at night a cause for concern?

In most cases, mysterious RF signals at night are not a cause for concern. However, if the signal is interfering with other communication systems or is being used for illegal purposes, it should be reported to the appropriate authorities.