Understanding Balloon Charges and Interactions

In summary: Since Balloon A (+) repels balloon C so it means Balloon C is +.The repulsion of Balloon A from Balloon C must imply that Balloon C is negatively charged.
t3rom
Homework Statement
There are 5 balloons, A, B, C, D, and E. The following observations were made on the balloons: (I) Balloon A attracts balloon B and balloon A repels balloon C. (II) Balloon D attracts balloon B, and balloon D has no effect on balloon E. (III) A negatively-charged rod attracts both balloon A and balloon E. Figure out what are the charges on each of the balloons. There may be balloons where they have a neutral charge.
Relevant Equations
Like charges repel each other, unlike charges attract each other. Positively charged objects and neutral objects attract each other; and negatively charged objects and neutral objects attract each other.
Balloon A is + as negatively charged rod attracts it
Balloon B is - as Balloon A attracts it.
Since Balloon A (+) repels balloon C so it means Balloon C is +.
Balloon D attracts Balloon Balloon B (-) so it means Balloon D is +.
Balloon E is neutral as negatively charged objects and neutral objects attract each other.

Kindly check if this is correct.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
t3rom said:
Balloon D is +.
Balloon E is neutral
If D is + and E is neutral, would D and E affect each other?

TSny said:
If D is + and E is neutral, would D and E affect each other?

That's exactly I'm confused about.

t3rom said:
That's exactly I'm confused about.
This link might help.

TSny said:
This link might help.

Why would the question say then "balloon D has no effect on balloon E"? In what scenario is this possible?

t3rom said:
Positively charged objects and neutral objects attract each other;
That reads as though positively charged objects would attract each other, and neutral objects attract each other. I guess you mean a positively charged object and a neutral object attract each other.
That's true, but it is worth bearing in mind that conductors with like charges can also attract each other under the right conditions. In the present question, it seems we are to take all the objects as nonconducting.

haruspex said:
That reads as though positively charged objects would attract each other, and neutral objects attract each other. I guess you mean a positively charged object and a neutral object attract each other.
That's true, but it is worth bearing in mind that conductors with like charges can also attract each other under the right conditions. In the present question, it seems we are to take all the objects as nonconducting.

So it means both D and E are neutral?

t3rom said:
So it means both D and E are neutral?
Yes, but it's not clear to me that you have used the correct logic to obtain the charges of A, B, and C.

t3rom said:
Balloon A is + as negatively charged rod attracts it
The attraction of balloon A to the negatively charged rod does not necessarily imply that A is positively charged. Balloon A could be neutral. You need to use some of the other given information to deduce whether or not A is charged.
Balloon B is - as Balloon A attracts it.
Even if balloon A were to carry a positive charge, it does not follow from this alone that B has to be negatively charged.

haruspex said:
it is worth bearing in mind that conductors with like charges can also attract each other under the right conditions.
Yes. I think this is true for dielectric bodies also. A balloon that carries a large amount of positive charge could attract another balloon that carries a very small amount of positive charge if the balloons are near enough to each other. I'm sure we're supposed to neglect such quirks in this problem. But it's an interesting point that you have brought up.

1. How do you identify the charge of a balloon?

To identify the charge of a balloon, you can use a static electricity detector or a balloon electroscope. These devices measure the amount of static electricity present on the surface of the balloon, which can indicate whether the balloon is positively or negatively charged.

2. What causes a balloon to become charged?

A balloon can become charged through the process of friction. When the balloon rubs against another surface, such as hair or clothing, electrons are transferred between the two surfaces. This transfer of electrons creates a static charge on the balloon.

3. How can you tell if a balloon is positively or negatively charged?

If a balloon is positively charged, it will attract small objects, such as pieces of paper or hair, towards it. If it is negatively charged, it will repel these objects. Additionally, a positively charged balloon will have a higher voltage reading on a static electricity detector compared to a negatively charged balloon.

4. Can a balloon have both a positive and negative charge?

No, a balloon can only have one type of charge at a time. This is because when electrons are transferred between surfaces, they either leave or accumulate on one object, resulting in a net positive or negative charge.

5. How long does a balloon stay charged?

The length of time a balloon stays charged depends on various factors, such as the humidity and temperature of the environment. In dry conditions, a balloon may hold its charge for several hours, but in humid conditions, the charge may dissipate more quickly. Additionally, the type of material the balloon is made of can also affect how long it stays charged.