• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Identifying Spectator Ions

Homework Statement

2KMnO4 (aq) + 10FeSO4 + 8H2SO4 -->

K2SO4 (aq) + 2MnO4 (aq) + 5Fe2SO4 (aq) + 8H2O (aq)

Homework Equations

Spectator ions don't participate in the reaction.

The Attempt at a Solution

What gives? Is my professor bent on making our lives miserable? The answer for the above is: the spectator ions are K+ and SO4.

I understand spectator ions don't participate in the reaction... but what's so divinely different between K+ and SO4 that isn't happening in the other ions? There are two Sulfate ions in the productsby the way which adds to my confusion...

Answers and Replies

Borek
Mentor
First of all - write everything in dissociated form. It is not called "net ionic" for fun :wink:

--

Here are the spectator ions:

2K+ + 2MnO4- + 10 Fe2+ + 10SO42-

yields:

2K+ + SO42- + 2MnO4 + 10Fe1+ + 5SO42- + 8H2O

Hmm. Interesting that I found the net ionic equation. The only ions I see that are the same are the K+ and SO42- ions. The manganate ion, 2MnO4- doesn't count because the product MnO4 is not an ion correct?

And same for the ion right? It's not a spectator ion because one is of +2 charge and the other of +1 charge?

Borek
Mentor
Where did you get the original equation from? I must admit I have not taken a closer look before, now that I did rest of the hair on my head rasied up.

But your analysis seems to be OK, only K+ and SO42- remain unchanged after the reaction.

--

The original equation was pulled from an old exam of my undergrad chemistry professor. It was a little weird, so it was worth discussing.

Thank you for your analysis and general helpfulness Borek. This question was a bit weird!

Borek
Mentor
It was a little weird, so it was worth discussing.
To be honest I hate questions that are based on nonexisting chemistry, they only create confusion.

--