1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Identifying Spectator Ions

1. Dec 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2KMnO4 (aq) + 10FeSO4 + 8H2SO4 -->

K2SO4 (aq) + 2MnO4 (aq) + 5Fe2SO4 (aq) + 8H2O (aq)

2. Relevant equations

Spectator ions don't participate in the reaction.

3. The attempt at a solution

What gives? Is my professor bent on making our lives miserable? The answer for the above is: the spectator ions are K+ and SO4.

I understand spectator ions don't participate in the reaction... but what's so divinely different between K+ and SO4 that isn't happening in the other ions? There are two Sulfate ions in the productsby the way which adds to my confusion...

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

First of all - write everything in dissociated form. It is not called "net ionic" for fun :wink:

--

4. Dec 12, 2009 #3
    Here are the spectator ions:

2K+ + 2MnO4- + 10 Fe2+ + 10SO42-

yields:

2K+ + SO42- + 2MnO4 + 10Fe1+ + 5SO42- + 8H2O

Hmm. Interesting that I found the net ionic equation. The only ions I see that are the same are the K+ and SO42- ions. The manganate ion, 2MnO4- doesn't count because the product MnO4 is not an ion correct?

And same for the ion right? It's not a spectator ion because one is of +2 charge and the other of +1 charge?

5. Dec 12, 2009 #4

Borek

Where did you get the original equation from? I must admit I have not taken a closer look before, now that I did rest of the hair on my head rasied up.

But your analysis seems to be OK, only K+ and SO42- remain unchanged after the reaction.

--

6. Dec 12, 2009 #5
    The original equation was pulled from an old exam of my undergrad chemistry professor. It was a little weird, so it was worth discussing.

Thank you for your analysis and general helpfulness Borek. This question was a bit weird!

7. Dec 12, 2009 #6

Borek

To be honest I hate questions that are based on nonexisting chemistry, they only create confusion.

--

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook