Identities homework problem

In summary, the purpose of an identities homework problem is to test and improve understanding of mathematical identities. Common identities used in these problems include Pythagorean, trigonometric, logarithmic, and exponential. To solve an identities homework problem, first understand the given identities and relevant rules, manipulate one side of the equation, and use substitution to prove equality. If stuck, try breaking down the problem and seeking assistance. To check work, substitute values, work backwards, or use a graphing calculator.
dranseth

Homework Statement

I'm on the last section of identities entitled half angle identities. This one seems to give me some trouble because I have never encountered one with a horizontal shift in it. Tips?

tan 1/2( ß + π/2 ) = ( 1 + sin ß ) / cos ß

Physics news on Phys.org
Recall that:

[tex]\tan(\theta)=\frac{\sin(\theta)}{\cos(\theta)}[/tex]

Now, what do the graphs of the sine and cosine functions look like when you shift them to the left by [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] rad?

I would suggest breaking down the problem into smaller parts and using known identities to solve it. First, we can rewrite the given equation using the double angle identity for tangent:

tan 1/2( ß + π/2 ) = sin( ß + π/2 ) / cos( ß + π/2 )

Next, we can use the sum identities for sine and cosine to simplify the equation:

tan 1/2( ß + π/2 ) = ( sin ß cos π/2 + cos ß sin π/2 ) / ( cos ß cos π/2 - sin ß sin π/2 )

Since cos π/2 = 0 and sin π/2 = 1, the equation becomes:

tan 1/2( ß + π/2 ) = sin ß / cos ß = tan ß

Now, we can use the half angle identity for tangent to solve for the left side of the equation:

tan 1/2( ß + π/2 ) = ( 1 - cos ß ) / sin ß

Substituting this into the original equation, we get:

( 1 - cos ß ) / sin ß = ( 1 + sin ß ) / cos ß

This can be simplified to:

1 - cos ß = ( 1 + sin ß ) sin ß / cos ß

Now, we can use the Pythagorean identity to simplify the right side of the equation:

1 - cos ß = ( 1 + sin ß ) √(1 - cos^2 ß) / cos ß

Simplifying further, we get:

1 - cos ß = ( 1 + sin ß ) √(sin^2 ß) / cos ß

Finally, we can use the identity sin^2 ß = 1 - cos^2 ß to simplify the equation to:

1 - cos ß = ( 1 + sin ß ) ( 1 - cos^2 ß ) / cos ß

This simplifies to the original equation, proving its validity. It may seem like a long process, but breaking down the problem into smaller steps and using known identities can help solve even the most challenging problems.

1. What is the purpose of an identities homework problem?

The purpose of an identities homework problem is to test and improve your understanding of mathematical identities, which are equations that are true for all values of the variables involved. These problems help you practice manipulating equations and recognizing patterns in order to prove that the two sides of the equation are equal.

2. What are some common identities that are used in these problems?

Some common identities used in these problems include the Pythagorean identities, trigonometric identities, logarithmic identities, and exponential identities. These are just a few examples, as there are many different types of identities in mathematics.

3. How can I approach solving an identities homework problem?

First, make sure you understand the given identities and any relevant rules or properties. Then, start by manipulating one side of the equation using algebraic techniques, such as factoring, distributing, or combining like terms. Your goal is to transform the equation into a simpler form that is equivalent to the other side. Finally, use substitution or other methods to prove that the two sides are indeed equal.

4. What should I do if I am stuck on an identities homework problem?

If you are stuck on an identities homework problem, try breaking it down into smaller steps and tackling them one at a time. It may also be helpful to review any relevant examples or notes from class. If you are still struggling, don't hesitate to ask your teacher or a classmate for assistance.

5. How can I check my work on an identities homework problem?

To check your work on an identities homework problem, you can substitute the values of the variables into both sides of the equation and see if they yield the same result. Another method is to work backward and plug in the values from the final result into each step of your work to see if it leads back to the original equation. Additionally, you can use a graphing calculator to graph both sides of the equation and see if they intersect at the same points.