Understanding the Identities Theorem: Can You Solve this Problem?

In summary: The theorem states that the sum of the squares of two adjacent terms is equal to the difference of the squares of the two terms.I understand the format it's in, but not why it works. Even visualizing it doesn't make sense :(actually, i drew myself a picture, and now i understand it now :)guess a picture is worth a thousand words... here it is attached
sitedesigner
I need help on the following problem. (attached)

Thanks

Attachments

• calc.jpg
    calc.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 406
Physics news on Phys.org
sitedesigner said:
I need help on the following problem. (attached)

Thanks

Draw a picture of some curve (i.e. make a guess about what the curve looks like), shade the regions given, then think about what they are asking -- perhaps the answer will become obvious...

hello there

well
f '(5)-f '(2) =11
f '(11)-f '(8) =27
f '(5)-f '(8)+f '(11)-f '(2)=f '(5)-f '(2)+f '(11)-f '(8) =11+27=38
I hope you do know what i have done, take care

steven

SteveRives said:
Draw a picture of some curve (i.e. make a guess about what the curve looks like), shade the regions given, then think about what they are asking -- perhaps the answer will become obvious...
I'm not sure if 38 is the correct answer though

steven187 said:
hello there
f '(5)-f '(8)+f '(11)-f '(2)=f '(5)-f '(2)+f '(11)-f '(8) =11+27=38
steven
can you explain how you got to that part? :cool:

hello there

sitedesigner said:
I'm not sure if 38 is the correct answer though

why arnt you sure, what are you having doubts about? explain your thoughts?

steven

even though i scanned it in there, it was a mere guess.

hello there

well I have basically given you the answer all you have to do now is interpret it, you must have some prior knowledge of knowing the basics of how to understand this question, by the way they were suppose to be capital F's

F(5)-F(2) =11
F(11)-F(8) =27
F(5)-F(8)+F(11)-F(2)=F(5)-F(2)+F(11)-F(8) =11+27=38

steven

can you state the theorem or definition that makes that true? I understand the format it's in, but not why it works. Even visualizing it doesn't make sense :(

actually, i drew myself a picture, and now i understand it now :)

guess a picture is worth a thousand words... here it is attached

Attachments

• calcdraw.GIF
    calcdraw.GIF
    2.9 KB · Views: 430
i really appreciate the quick response... that's what makes physicsforums a great place!

you welcome

well we are happy for you to be part of this forum, by the way you havnt told us what your answer was?

When i was doing that problem, I had originally put the answer as 38 because somewhere in the back of my mind i had recalled reading about adding and subtracting integrals.

I didnt understand what the answer was, but after i drew the picture, it became more clear :) The answer is 38.

can you state the theorem or definition that makes that true? I understand the format it's in, but not why it works.
[tex]\int_a^b f(x) dx =\int_a^c f(x) dx +\int_c^b f(x) dx[/tex]
[tex]\int_a^b f(x) dx =-\int_b^a f(x) dx[/tex]
Do you know these identities?
These 2 make given problem almost formal.

1. What is the Identities Theorem Problem?

The Identities Theorem Problem is a mathematical concept that deals with the properties of complex numbers. It states that if two complex numbers are equal, then their real and imaginary parts must also be equal.

2. How is the Identities Theorem Problem applied in science?

The Identities Theorem Problem is used in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and finance. It is used to solve equations involving complex numbers, which are often used in these fields to represent physical quantities or variables.

3. What are some real-life examples of the Identities Theorem Problem?

One example of the Identities Theorem Problem can be seen in the analysis of electrical circuits. The voltage and current in a circuit can be represented using complex numbers, and the Identities Theorem can be used to solve for different values in the circuit.

4. What are the limitations of the Identities Theorem Problem?

The Identities Theorem Problem is limited to complex numbers and cannot be applied to real numbers. Additionally, it only applies when two complex numbers are equal; it cannot be used to prove the equality of two expressions involving complex numbers.

5. How can the Identities Theorem Problem be used to simplify equations?

The Identities Theorem Problem can be used to simplify equations involving complex numbers by reducing them to simpler forms. This can make it easier to solve for unknown variables or to manipulate the equation for further analysis.