1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Identity by using gradient

1. Mar 15, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let us consider three scalar fields u(x), v(x), and w(x). Show that they have a relationship such that f(u, v, w) = 0 if and only if

(∇u) × (∇v) · (∇w) = 0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I could think nothing but just writing the components of (∇u) × (∇v) · (∇w) = 0. How could i prove this?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2015 #2
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let us consider three scalar fields u(x), v(x), and w(x).
    Show that they have a relationship such that f(u, v, w) = 0 if and only if
    (∇u) × (∇v) · (∇w) = 0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can do nothing but just writing components of (∇u) × (∇v) · (∇w). How can I prove this identity?

4. Mar 15, 2015 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If ##\vec{A} = \nabla u##, ##\vec{B} = \nabla v## and ##\vec{C} = \nabla w##, what does the given condition say about the directions of the vectors ##\vec{A}, \vec{B}, \vec{C}##?

5. Mar 15, 2015 #4
    Scalar triple product means det(a,b,c) or volume of a parallelepiped. Is it a key to solve this problem?

6. Mar 15, 2015 #5
    When you wrote the components out, what did you get?

7. Mar 15, 2015 #6
    I wrote
    %C0%B9%BF%A2.JPG
    by using levi-civita symbol

8. Mar 16, 2015 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

One way is easy. If f(u,v,w)=0 then to show the triple product is zero you just have to show that the gradients of u, v and w are linearly dependent. Use the chain rule. The other way is harder, you need to have some sort of integrability theorem like Frobenius. I'm a little fuzzy on that. What have you got?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  9. Mar 16, 2015 #8

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Sorry, am I missing something? There is always such a function f(u,v,w) - just define it to be zero everywhere. Are we looking for a non-trivial (!) linear function f?

10. Mar 16, 2015 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good point. I'm guessing the problem should state that f has at least one nonzero partial derivative at points where you want to show the triple product is zero. Just a guess.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted