Scalar Fields and the Relationship between Gradient and Triple Product

In summary, the problem asks for a function f that is zero at certain points, and it appears that the triple product of u, v, and w is needed to make this function zero.
Flotensia

Homework Statement

Let us consider three scalar fields u(x), v(x), and w(x). Show that they have a relationship such that f(u, v, w) = 0 if and only if

(∇u) × (∇v) · (∇w) = 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I could think nothing but just writing the components of (∇u) × (∇v) · (∇w) = 0. How could i prove this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Homework Statement

Let us consider three scalar fields u(x), v(x), and w(x).
Show that they have a relationship such that f(u, v, w) = 0 if and only if
(∇u) × (∇v) · (∇w) = 0.

Homework Equations

I can do nothing but just writing components of (∇u) × (∇v) · (∇w). How can I prove this identity?

Flotensia said:

Homework Statement

Let us consider three scalar fields u(x), v(x), and w(x). Show that they have a relationship such that f(u, v, w) = 0 if and only if

(∇u) × (∇v) · (∇w) = 0.

Homework Equations

I could think nothing but just writing the components of (∇u) × (∇v) · (∇w) = 0. How could i prove this?

If ##\vec{A} = \nabla u##, ##\vec{B} = \nabla v## and ##\vec{C} = \nabla w##, what does the given condition say about the directions of the vectors ##\vec{A}, \vec{B}, \vec{C}##?

Scalar triple product means det(a,b,c) or volume of a parallelepiped. Is it a key to solve this problem?

When you wrote the components out, what did you get?

I wrote
%C0%B9%BF%A2.JPG

by using levi-civita symbol

Flotensia said:
Scalar triple product means det(a,b,c) or volume of a parallelepiped. Is it a key to solve this problem?

One way is easy. If f(u,v,w)=0 then to show the triple product is zero you just have to show that the gradients of u, v and w are linearly dependent. Use the chain rule. The other way is harder, you need to have some sort of integrability theorem like Frobenius. I'm a little fuzzy on that. What have you got?

Last edited:
Sorry, am I missing something? There is always such a function f(u,v,w) - just define it to be zero everywhere. Are we looking for a non-trivial (!) linear function f?

mfb said:
Sorry, am I missing something? There is always such a function f(u,v,w) - just define it to be zero everywhere. Are we looking for a non-trivial (!) linear function f?

Good point. I'm guessing the problem should state that f has at least one nonzero partial derivative at points where you want to show the triple product is zero. Just a guess.

1. What is "identity by using gradient"?

"Identity by using gradient" is a scientific method that involves analyzing the variations in the intensity of a particular color or feature in an image or object. This information can then be used to identify or classify the image or object. This method is commonly used in fields such as computer vision, remote sensing, and image processing.

2. How does "identity by using gradient" work?

"Identity by using gradient" works by measuring the changes in the intensity of a particular color or feature in an image or object. This is typically done by calculating the gradient, which is the rate of change of the intensity with respect to distance. This information is then used to identify or classify the image or object based on the patterns and variations in the gradient.

3. What are the advantages of using "identity by using gradient"?

The use of "identity by using gradient" has several advantages, including its ability to handle complex and noisy data, its efficiency in processing large amounts of data, and its ability to identify patterns and variations that may not be visible to the human eye. It is also a non-invasive method, making it suitable for analyzing sensitive or fragile objects.

4. What are some real-world applications of "identity by using gradient"?

"Identity by using gradient" has a wide range of applications, including facial recognition, fingerprint identification, object detection and tracking, medical image analysis, and geological mapping. It is also used in industries such as agriculture, forestry, and environmental monitoring to identify and classify different features and objects.

5. Are there any limitations to "identity by using gradient"?

While "identity by using gradient" has many advantages, it also has some limitations. It may not be suitable for identifying or classifying objects with very similar or uniform features, as the gradient may not provide enough variation for accurate identification. Additionally, it may be affected by lighting conditions, image quality, and other factors that can impact the gradient calculations.