1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Identity for cosh

1. Feb 14, 2013 #1
    Show that cosh(x) = 1 => x = 0

I am only allowed to use the definition of cosh, the algebraic rules for the exponential function, that exp(x2)>exp(x1) for x2 > x1, and the fact that we have defined it with the requirement:

exp(x) ≥ 1 + x

The exp(x) term of course is not trouble.

What I lack prooving is that:
    exp(x) > 1 - x

Any ideas how I might approach it? I don't need answers, just hints

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2013 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If x > 0, then 2x > 0 so 1 + x > 1 + x - 2x.

If x < 0, then it's not true (exp goes to 0 while 1 - x goes to infinity for [itex]x \to -\infty[/itex]).

4. Feb 14, 2013 #3
    oh sorry I can see I made a fatal error.
    I meant i need to show:
    exp(-x) > 1 - x

5. Feb 14, 2013 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

A quick sketch of the graphs of y = e-x and y = 1 - x shows that e-x ≥ 1 - x for all real x, and that we get equality at only one value of x.

Assuming you can use techniques of calculus, let f(x) = e-x - (1 - x), and find the minimum value and where it occurs.

6. Feb 14, 2013 #5
    I know calculus but this is an analysis course, where it has not yet been introduced. Thus I am to find another way of proving it.

7. Feb 14, 2013 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Really? Are you saying that you haven't learned differentiation, and you're in an analysis course?

8. Feb 14, 2013 #7
    I'm talking a rigorous analysis course where everything is built up slowly. So far we have covered continuity and the properties of limits. I know differential calculus, but I am not allowed to use it for this handout.

9. Feb 14, 2013 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

If you know that ##e^x \ge 1+x## for all ##x##, you can plug anything you want in for ##x##. In particular, you can plug in ##-x##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook