1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Identity in a subring

1. Mar 9, 2008 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[SOLVED] Identity in a subring

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In Dummit & Foote on the section on tensor product of modules (10.4 pp.359), the authors write

"Suppose that the ring R is a subring of the ring S. Throughout this section, we always assume that [tex]1_R=1_S[/tex] (this ensures that S is a unital R-module)."

Now, I just want to make sure I'm not missing something. Can R be a subring with identity whose identity 1_R is different from 1_S???

I would say "no" because S, together with its multiplication operation, forms a monoid... and in a monoid M, the identity e is the only element with the ability to do me=em=m for any and all m in M. So if 1_R were an identity for R different than 1_S, it would mean 1_R*r = 1_S*r = r and we would have two different element with the ability to act on the elements of r like an identity, which contradicts the fact that S is a (multiplicative) monoid.

So instead, perhaps a less confusing way to write the above quoted passage would be to say,

"Suppose that the ring R is a subring of the ring S. Throughout this section, we always assume that R contains [tex]1_S[/tex] (this ensures that S is a unital R-module)."

Yes? Thanks for the feedback.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are clearly assuming that any ring has a multiplicative identity. Is Dummit and Foote assuming that?

4. Mar 9, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take S to be the ring of 2x2 matrices and R to be the subring consisting consisting of matrices [[x,0],[0,0]] for any x. [[1,0],[0,0]] is a unit for R, but not for S.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?