Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Identity in Schwinger's paper

1. Sep 12, 2010 #1
    Hi,

I'm working my way through Schwinger's paper (http://www.physics.princeton.edu/~mcdonald/examples/QED/schwinger_pr_82_664_51.pdf" [Broken]) and I came across the following identity

[tex]-(\gamma\pi)^2 = \pi_{\mu}^2 - \frac{1}{2}e\sigma_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}[/tex]

where

[tex]\pi_{\mu} = p_{\mu} - eA_{\mu}[/tex]

[tex]F^{\mu\nu} = \partial^{\mu}A^{\nu}-\partial^{\nu}A^{\mu}[/tex]

[tex]\sigma^{\mu\nu} = \frac{i}{2}[\gamma^\mu,\gamma^\nu][/tex]

(This is equation 2.33 of the paper, for those of you who refer to the pdf.)

I am trying to prove this identity, but I ran into some problems. First of all, since his equation 2.4 states

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\{\gamma_{\mu},\gamma_{\nu}\} = -\delta_{\mu\nu}[/tex]

I'm guessing his sign convention for the metric is different. Also, shouldn't this be [itex]g_{\mu\nu}[/itex] on the RHS instead of the Kronecker delta?

Returning to the identity, I know that

[tex]\gamma^{\mu}a_{\mu}\gamma^{\nu}b_{\nu} = a\cdot b - i a_{\mu}\sigma^{\mu\nu}b_{\nu}[/tex]

(\slashed doesn't work)

In particular, setting [itex]a = b = \prod[/itex], this becomes

[tex](\gamma \pi)^2 = \pi^2 - e\sigma^{\mu\nu}(\partial_{\mu}A_{\nu} + A_{\nu}\partial_{\mu})[/tex]

Questions:

1. How does one proceed from here?
    2. I seem to get no minus sign on the LHS. Is that because of Schwinger's metric?

Any suggestions and inputs would be greatly appreciated. I've been stuck on this step for a few hours now.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2010 #2
    Ideas, suggestions, anyone?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook