1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Identity minus Skew-Hermitian

1. Jan 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given S is a Skew-Hermitian (S*=-S), Prove that I - S is a nonsingular matrix

2. Relevant equations

If a matrix A is nonsingular, for Ax=0, x={0}

3. The attempt at a solution

(I-S)x=0, and I have been trying to show that the solution for x is always zero. Is this the correctly direction, because I have been trying to do this since last night and I seem to be unable to do this. I would really appreciate it if you have a better suggestion. Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If (I-S) is singular, then there is a nonzero vector x such that <(I-S)x,(I-S)x>=0. (<> is the inner product). Play around with the consequences of that for a while.
  4. Jan 18, 2009 #3
    Thanks Dick:

After playing with it, I arrived at the concolusion I = S^2, but cannot see how to contradict that.

<(I-S)x, (I-S)x>
    =Ix*x+ISx*x - Ix*sx - Sx*Sx
    =Ix*x - Sx*Sx (middle two cancel out)
    =b(I) - b(S^2) (let x*x = b (some constant)
    => I = S^2
    Now, I have to show this is a false statement...right? Can we show this is false for all cases?
  5. Jan 18, 2009 #4
    Taking the square root of each side...Sqrt(I) = S, however, the square root of an identity matrix is by no means a skew Hermitian, hence the original assumption is erroneous!

Thanks Dick!
  6. Jan 18, 2009 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, no, no. You can't do any such thing. I think you have a stray sign. What I wound up with is <x,x>+<Sx,Sx>=0. What's wrong with that?
  7. Jan 19, 2009 #6
    Hmm...I played with it overnight and cannot figure out what is wrong with that statement. The only thing I can see is that x*x cannot be zero since x is a non zero vector..?
  8. Jan 19, 2009 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

<x,x> is positive since x is nonzero and the dot product is positive definite. <Sx,Sx> is nonnegative. The sum can't be zero.
  9. Jan 19, 2009 #8
    Wow! Thank you. I did not see that <x,x> is always positive, I was just focusing on it being nonzero!

Thank you so much!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?