Exploring the Interplay of Identity, Purpose, and Free Will in Human Existence

In summary, the conversation revolves around the relationship between Identity, Purpose, and Free Will in defining the concept of the self. It is assumed that free will exists to some extent within conscious entities and that these concepts are integral to the Heideggerian understanding of 'being'. The discussion also delves into the idea that self-awareness is necessary for being, and that purpose and free will are interconnected. The limitations of free will are also mentioned, as well as the idea that subscribing to the illusion of free will can influence one's sense of self and search for purpose. The conversation then shifts to questioning the existence of free will itself.
Jubal
Looking for thoughts on how Identity, Purpose, and Free Will are related in defining the 'self'. This is making the assumption that free will does operate at some level and to different degrees within conscious entities. This is also assuming that these concepts are all intrinsically part of
the Heideggerian flavor of 'being'..

Physics news on Phys.org
I am ...I want...I choose...
or maybe
I am what I want and I choose who I am...

Last edited:
Identity is intrinsic to being. To be, one must have self awareness. Self awareness includes by necessity thinking and also implys awareness of ones surroundings.

Purpose? Whose? Why are we? Why are we here or what is our purpose, intent? Why are we here? To experience life and grow. What is our purpose?
To experience life and grow, live long and prosper as someone once said.

If I/we have no free will then we have no purpose and any such purpose that we may think that we have is nothing but an illusion as would be our freewill.

We have limited freewill, limited by our personalities, history, situation, abilities, etc, etc, etc. Given the identical choices and situation we would probably make the same choices if we could go back and choose again.

Ok, I think I get it but what if it kind of goes like this:

One subscribes to and buys into the illusion of free will,(I can chose the brand of shoes I would like to buy) as a result they think they make choices that define their identity,(who they are) the process of defining ones identity/self gives rise to an intrinsically human instinct which is to look for purpose in existence, (why am I). you know, those questions like “why are we here”, “what should one do with ones life”, “is there deeper meaning to life other than simply operating on a foundation of hedonistic behaviour”??

Maybe we should really be discussing if free will exists. Looks like Royce isn’t a big fan. OK new thread title ‘free will, is it simply an illusion’? thoughts or is this subject getting old already? ;)

1. What is identity and what factors contribute to it?

Identity refers to the characteristics and traits that make a person unique and distinguishable. These include physical attributes, personality, values, beliefs, and experiences.

2. Is our sense of purpose predetermined or can we create it ourselves?

This is a highly debated topic among scientists. Some believe that our sense of purpose is predetermined by our genetics and environment, while others argue that we have the ability to create our own purpose through conscious decision-making.

3. How does free will play a role in shaping our identity and purpose?

Free will refers to our ability to make choices and decisions without external influences. It can greatly impact our identity and purpose, as it allows us to shape our lives and determine our own path.

4. Can our identity and purpose change over time?

Yes, our identity and purpose are not fixed and can evolve over time. As we experience new things and grow, our beliefs, values, and goals may shift, causing changes in our identity and sense of purpose.

5. Are there any scientific studies that have explored the relationship between identity, purpose, and free will?

Yes, there have been numerous studies examining the complex relationship between identity, purpose, and free will. These studies have used various methods, such as brain imaging and psychological surveys, to better understand how these concepts intersect and influence one another.