Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Identity Theft

1. Feb 19, 2005 #1

Staff: Mentor

At Least 700 IDs Stolen From ChoicePoint

By RACHEL KONRAD, AP Business Writer

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2005 #2
    Well, I've been around the computer industry since 1979 as an engineer and perhaps I am paranoid (most likely) but I refuse to put any information about myself on the internet, nada, zip, zilch, zero.

If I google myself (still sounds obcene as a verb) I find nothing and that is just the way I like it. I keep no passwords on my PC, no credit card numbers as I simply do not trust MS's now defunct Password holder system.
    Although the governments of the world and even individual companies all say that they do not share data with anyone, we who know, know this is a lie. Once the data start becoming corelated with other data, the genie is out of the bottle.
    As an non american, (I am an Australian residing permanantly in Brasil) I do not have a SS number, but I have the equivelent here in Brasil, called a CPF which would translate to "Registered Physical Person" number which stays with me forever and is needed for nearly everything you do.
    But according to the government this number is only needed for official government transactions.
    But the harsh reality is that I cannot even get a subscription to a local newspaper without giving them this number.
    Is the US Social Security system number abused in the same way??
    Who do we complain to. After a while these numbers become a defacto HBIN (Human Being Identification Number...my own Acronym)
    How do we protect ourselves from this abuse of our personalaties????
    Stop using Credit Cards, only cash???? I don't know the answer, only that the future in this respect scares me. As a Computer Engineer, I both love and hate technology. The advantages are obvious, but the downsides are terrifying.
  4. Feb 21, 2005 #3
    Doesn't sound like something unfamiliar! It is commonplace that 'associated' companies exchange databases of personal data.
    Personally I don't care if my data stays in a database and is processed by machines, but when humans have a look at it then it sounds more like a violation of privacy...
  5. Mar 9, 2005 #4
    Mentioned two posts above was Social Security.

All I have to say to you is that you won't be missing out on not having that soon.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?