Lance Mackey Finishes Iditarod | 15 Dogs Lead to Win

• Thread starter LowlyPion
  • Start date
In summary, Lance Mackey is looking to close out this years Iditarod today with 15 of his initial 16 dogs. He is 6 hours ahead getting awat at White Mountain rest stop.
LowlyPion
Homework Helper
Lance Mackey is looking to close out this years Iditerod today with 15 of his initial 16 dogs.

He is through the last check point - a brisk 20 mile sprint to Main Street Nome to go apparently. And he was 6 hours ahead getting awat at White Mountain rest stop.

http://www.adn.com/photos/iditarod/story/703830.html

The pictures there are awesome, if not cold and remote, and hellish after so many days of slogging through it. I can half understand doing it for the scenery. But not completely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not for me, thanks. I can barely tolerate the Maine winters of the past few years. I don't mind the cold so much, but too much snow kinda wears on you after a while.

I can think of no lonelier sport in the world.

We have sled-dog races here in Maine, BUT they have to race on groomed snowmobile trails. There is just way too much snow, and it would kill the dogs to try to race in it.

Just read this account, if you want to think about lonely.

Like Call of the Wild, just no wolf packs jumping at you through the camp fire.

http://www.adn.com/iditarod/2009/story/726933.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Awww that was so sad, I'm glad they were able to save him and the rest of his fur friends. It must of broken his heart.

hypatia said:
Awww that was so sad, I'm glad they were able to save him and the rest of his fur friends. It must of broken his heart.

I'm sure that it put him in touch with his mortality. An opportunity for great introspection no doubt.

This year I was reading that all the mushers had a GPS in their sleds. In fact enthusiasts could - for a fee of course - follow the race as markers on a map with the real time position of each contestant. It was a comfort at least for spouses knowing where there mates were no doubt.

Some of them were grumbling about not being really out there alone if GPS knew where they were. But I can imagine that it might be a comfort if things really went whack out there.

One of the entrants had a long layover earlier in the race and gave the GPS to a friend that was a pilot and he took it on a flight as a joke. Amazing what passes for entertainment there.

What is the Iditarod and who is Lance Mackey?

The Iditarod is a famous dog sled race that takes place in Alaska every year. Lance Mackey is a four-time winner of the race, known for his determination and skill as a dog musher.

How many dogs does Lance Mackey have on his team?

Lance Mackey started the race with 15 dogs, and all 15 of them successfully completed the race with him.

How long did it take Lance Mackey to finish the Iditarod?

Lance Mackey finished the Iditarod in 9 days, 12 hours, 20 minutes, and 47 seconds, making it his fifth fastest finish in his career.

What challenges did Lance Mackey face during the Iditarod?

Lance Mackey faced several challenges during the race, including harsh weather conditions, treacherous terrain, and tough competition from other mushers.

What makes Lance Mackey a successful musher?

Lance Mackey's success as a musher can be attributed to his strong bond with his dogs, his physical and mental endurance, and his strategic race planning and execution.

Back