Help with Uninstalling SpyAxe from IE

• Thread starter JamesU
  • Start date
In summary, SpyAxe is a spyware program that people can't uninstall. The fix is to execute "illegal_adv_uninstall1.exe" and "illegal_adv_uninstall2.exe" and reboot. However, this is not a permanent fix, and users need to use spyware removal tools to get rid of SpyAxe.
JamesU
Gold Member
I was using IE for a little while when some crap downloaded onto my computer. Now I have something called SpyAxe, which is supposed to be an antispyware program. Now I can't go anywhere in IE, and I for some reason can't uninstall spyaxe. Can anyone help?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I found this posting on a forum after searching.
--------------------------------------------------
Found the cure to the SpyAxe popup activity! I actually got desperate enough to complain last night through their website email form. Tonight I got a reply from them stating a lot of complaints came thru due to affiliate's illegal advertising of their product. They provide a simple fix that really worked. Here is the instructions they sent:

In order to clean your PC from infections related to Spyware Axe product, please follow the instructions below:
1) Save Uninstallers.zip from http://www.spyaxe.com/uninstall/uninstallers.zip to your desktop or HDD.

2) Extract 2 files "illegal_adv_uninstall1.exe" and "illegal_adv_uninstall2.exe" to your desktop or your HDD using WinZip.

3) Execute both of them one by one by double-clicking with your mouse.

4) Reboot your PC

5) Your PC is now clean from the infections.
--------------------------------------------------

I would download Ad-Aware personal from download.com. It is easily the best spyware removal tool.

Last edited by a moderator:
I try to run the files but nothing happens

EDIT: OK, I got it working, thanks alot. It was getting very annoying.

Last edited:
Might I suggest the following for the future: Opera Web Browser
It loads in seconds, but more importantly, most of the time it shows "IE-only" pages just fine. Even if certain broken pages don't show properly, it can even pretend to be IE!

yomamma said:
I was using IE [...]
There is your problem.

I normally use opera

yomamma said:
I was using IE ... and I for some reason can't uninstall spyaxe.
Implies you use Windows...
I can only suggest that you get a better operating system.

You people are ridiculous. Not everybody cares for Linux.

I agree that most people who put down Windows and IE don't know what they're talking about. I understand that these software are not perfect but neither are the competitors. There is also that issue of popularity, if the other browsers were as popular you'd certainly see a lot more spyware and malware targeting them. I have Win 2003 Server and you should see how impenetrable this thing is while running the Microsoft ISA especially with the SP1 security enhancements. If you get spyware it's not entirely your OS & browser's fault, you also have some fault of your own for not being better protected or more aware of malicious sites, keep that in mind.

yomamma said:
I was using IE for a little while when some crap downloaded onto my computer. Now I have something called SpyAxe, which is supposed to be an antispyware program. Now I can't go anywhere in IE, and I for some reason can't uninstall spyaxe. Can anyone help?

hmm, I think that in a past post, some one told you not to use IE.

maybe it was some one else, but you have learned a hard lesson.

to get it off, you might need to use any number of spyware removal tools, or it might not be removable at all.

you might want to listen to Security Now and TWiT and Leo Laport's Show on KFI good tips on protecting yourself on line.

also, get firefox, and stop using IE.

-Job- said:
I agree that most people who put down Windows and IE don't know what they're talking about. I understand that these software are not perfect but neither are the competitors. There is also that issue of popularity, if the other browsers were as popular you'd certainly see a lot more spyware and malware targeting them. I have Win 2003 Server and you should see how impenetrable this thing is while running the Microsoft ISA especially with the SP1 security enhancements. If you get spyware it's not entirely your OS & browser's fault, you also have some fault of your own for not being better protected or more aware of malicious sites, keep that in mind.

the biggest problem with windows is that it is so dang popular it is a huge target, and then to add to that, it's security has stunk for so long and is only marginally better after SP2. sure, you can mitigate the problems by running AV and Spyware prevention tools, and not using IE, and having a firewall, etc, but it is still a lot of work for someone who does not know what they are doing with security.

Linux is great for people who do not want the security hassle from the usage of the web (there is a minimum amount of security every user needs to employ, but we are talking about upkeep here).. and Macs are great for people who think that the CD tray is a cup holder (and for power users like me too :-D )I would like to add that it is the fault of the user for getting spyware for choosing an OS they cannot manage properly.

Last edited:
One of the main reasons FireFox is more secure than IE in windows is because FireFox doesn't support activeX (without a plugin). But notice you can easily set the security settings for this (Tools -> Internet Options -> Security -> Custom Level) or even disable it. In FireFox on the other hand you'll either get "Browser not supported" on the website, or your activex plugin will be buggy and more vulnerable than IE's. ActiveX does a lot of cool things, and with IE you at least have the option of using it.
By editing IE's security settings you can make it so secure it'll hardly display any page, so most spyware is due to a misconfigured browser. The latest Microsoft Service Packs try to make this easier for any user by showing an appropriate message bar on the top of the screen whenever a site tries to download ActiveX controls, files, etc... but this functionality has always been there, most people just didn't know where to find it (which is the only thing i blame Microsoft for).

Also notice that Linux is not for everybody, i hardly see high school girls using Linux for running a chat app, so the target audience of Windows, and hence IE, is much less educated.
(I also blame Microsoft for not updating the Java VM, which can create a security hole)

Last edited:
-Job- said:
One of the main reasons FireFox is more secure than IE in windows is because FireFox doesn't support activeX (without a plugin). But notice you can easily set the security settings for this (Tools -> Internet Options -> Security -> Custom Level) or even disable it. In FireFox on the other hand you'll either get "Browser not supported" on the website, or your activex plugin will be buggy and more vulnerable than IE's. ActiveX does a lot of cool things, and with IE you at least have the option of using it.
By editing IE's security settings you can make it so secure it'll hardly display any page, so most spyware is due to a misconfigured browser. The latest Microsoft Service Packs try to make this easier for any user by showing an appropriate message bar on the top of the screen whenever a site tries to download ActiveX controls, files, etc... but this functionality has always been there, most people just didn't know where to find it (which is the only thing i blame Microsoft for).
Also notice that Linux is not for everybody, i hardly see high school girls using Linux for running a chat app, so the target audience of Windows, and hence IE, is much less educated.
(I also blame Microsoft for not updating the Java VM, which can create a security hole)

The target audience might be less sophisticated users, but the OS is not safe for those users.

lets look at the logic here in the thread.

1)Linux is to hard for unsophisticated users
2)Windows is targeted to unsophisticated users
3)To use windows securely, you need to know what you are doing
-------------------------------------
Contradiction: Unsophisticated users do not know what they are doing. Therefore, they should NOT be using windows.

Do you know how to format your harddrive and install windows yomamma? My dad always uses IE, and rather than tell him about virus protectors, spyware removers and all that other junk, I showed him how to format his hd and install Windows because he will not stop using IE. After a few experiences with spyware, and a virus or two, he is now very good at formatting his harddrive and installing windows. If you continue to use IE just learn how to do this and you should be fine.

Do you have differn't browser you can use if you do just stop using IE.

mattmns said:
Do you know how to format your harddrive and install windows yomamma? My dad always uses IE, and rather than tell him about virus protectors, spyware removers and all that other junk, I showed him how to format his hd and install Windows because he will not stop using IE. After a few experiences with spyware, and a virus or two, he is now very good at formatting his harddrive and installing windows. If you continue to use IE just learn how to do this and you should be fine.

does your dad think that if he stops using IE then he will get a different internet?

My Mom thought that until I set her book marks and home page up just like IE in Firefox.

mattmns said:

Does your dad know how to backup his documents and such? or does he lose all his personal files everytime he does it?
I would also like to add that I recommend Opera. I would if I didn't have AOL. Unfortunately though, I do (I want to switch, but other dial up ISPs suck almost as bad). I guess my parents are the target user. The typical people that pay more for AOL just to have the new government infest their hard drive.

Mudvaynelethaldosage said:
Does your dad know how to backup his documents and such? or does he lose all his personal files everytime he does it?
I would also like to add that I recommend Opera. I would if I didn't have AOL. Unfortunately though, I do (I want to switch, but other dial up ISPs suck almost as bad). I guess my parents are the target user. The typical people that pay more for AOL just to have the new government infest their hard drive.
DSL is cheaper than dial up.. WTF is their problem with it?

-Job- said:
So why is it sold "out of the box" with the least secure settings as defaults? If you assume that the average user, especially when they are first introduced to any OS, does not know how to adjust settings, why not make all the defaults the most secure, and then only those who know what they are doing will know where to adjust settings that reduce security, and will have had time to make it more secure first? Keep in mind that the average user is more like my parents who needed instructions on what "double-click" meant..."no mom, it doesn't mean press both buttons at once." I'm amazed at how many people I run into who think pop-ups are just a normal, albeit annoying, part of using the internet and don't realize how many of them are spyware, signs of an infected computer, etc.

:uhh: :rolleyes: :grumpy: Care to explain how you leapt from high school girls to less educated users in that sentence? I don't suppose they might be chatting with high school boys who are also not running Linux, huh? Usually, high school students are using whatever they are fortunate enough to have their parents buy for them.

ComputerGeek said:
DSL is cheaper than dial up.. WTF is their problem with it?
You can't get DSL access everywhere. I can't where I live, so my only alternative to dial-up was cable internet, which I got because apparently whatever made the phone lines incompatible with DSL also made using a dial-up modem painfully slow too (there was a striking difference between my dial-up at my previous home and where I am now...other than downloading large files, I never noticed anything too slow on dial-up at my previous address, but here it was like watching molasses drip). And of course cable internet is more expensive than dial-up. But I do appreciate all the free coasters that AOL sends me, they go really well with the cup holder in my old windows machine. :rofl: :biggrin:

ComputerGeek said:
Linux is great for people who do not want the security hassle from the usage of the web (there is a minimum amount of security every user needs to employ, but we are talking about upkeep here)

Linux is also great if you prefer to have an inconsistent userland and a kernel development process that spurs things like unstable kernel ABI's and API's.

Glad to see we have a couple of Opera users here. I'm one, myself, and I've been thoroughly pleased with it's stability compared to that of Firefox.

Last edited:
Opera is an awesome browser, my only problem with it is the middle mouse click/scroll behavior. I cannot understand why my mouse must go to the center everytime of the screen everytime I press the middle mouse button.

Linux is for people who have the time and desire to learn everything about computers.

Sure it is easy enough for computer savy people, but if I even proposed the idea to my parents they would never even consider it.

Linux is not for everyone and it just isn't sinking in.

ComputerGeek said:
DSL is cheaper than dial up..
I have yet to find anyone selling DSL as cheap as dialup. I have a backup dialup account for when my DSL goes down. My dialup account is $9.95/mo for unlimited use. Please post a link to a company that sells DSL for less than that.

xPAGANx said:
Linux is for people who have the time and desire to learn everything about computers.
Linux is not for everyone and it just isn't sinking in.

Linux is a hobbyist OS that allows people access to a UNIX-like OS that wouldn't normally have it. Linux certainly isn't sinking into the enterprise markets. We have zero Linux systems at work and will continue to have zero Linux systems -- we're much more adjusted to AIX/Solaris solutions. The inconsistent GNU userland and Linux kernel development processes hinder enterprise adoption. Linux is behind in all areas that enterprises are interested in -- multipathing, being able to withstand a high load for an extended amount of time, backwards compatibility, logical volume management, debugging and tracing, virtualization, vendor support, and scalability.

Last edited:
Evo said:
I have yet to find anyone selling DSL as cheap as dialup. I have a backup dialup account for when my DSL goes down. My dialup account is $9.95/mo for unlimited use. Please post a link to a company that sells DSL for less than that.

Well, I should have said, DSL is cheaper than AOL and Earthlink and MSN.

The regional ISPs for dial up are about 10 bucks cheaper than the budget dial-up.

SBC DSL is only 19 bucks a month.

xPAGANx said:
You people are ridiculous. Not everybody cares for Linux.
Exactly; nobody cares for Linux.
Why do you think so many people are out there begging others to start using Linux? (I, unfortunately, was one of those people :()
On a side note, referring to whoever claimed only a sophisticated user can use Linux, there are now flavours of Linux which keep ease-of-use in mind.
Furthermore, I suspect even a computer newbie would be able to use even a highly acclaimed and (recently, atleast) highly praised UNIX-based operating system like Solaris as well. (What with X set on auto-start and pretty much all of the configurations graphical-based)
So... blah.
Better operating system.
Yup. :approve:

Pseudo Statistic said:
Exactly; nobody cares for Linux.
Why do you think so many people are out there begging others to start using Linux? (I, unfortunately, was one of those people :()
On a side note, referring to whoever claimed only a sophisticated user can use Linux, there are now flavours of Linux which keep ease-of-use in mind.
Furthermore, I suspect even a computer newbie would be able to use even a highly acclaimed and (recently, atleast) highly praised UNIX-based operating system like Solaris as well. (What with X set on auto-start and pretty much all of the configurations graphical-based)
So... blah.
Better operating system.
Yup. :approve:

This is what separates a commercial UNIX or at least a UNIX that has it's roots in the commercial sector from something like FreeBSD or Linux. Sun and IBM, both, offer support (with a contract) for their UNIXes -- Solaris and AIX, and thousands upon thousands of pages of documentation are available -- everything from user guides, to administration manuals, to portability guides for developers.

Solaris 10 docs: http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/prod/solaris.10
AIX 5.3 docs: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoc...bm.aix.doc/infocenter/base/aixinformation.htm

Last edited:
Is the opera browser better at preventing Spyware?

Any browser other than IE is helpful. If you can switch to a Mac or Linux that would be ideal.

graphic7 said:
This is what separates a commercial UNIX or at least a UNIX that has it's roots in the commercial sector from something like FreeBSD or Linux. Sun and IBM, both, offer support (with a contract) for their UNIXes -- Solaris and AIX, and thousands upon thousands of pages of documentation are available -- everything from user guides, to administration manuals, to portability guides for developers.
Solaris 10 docs: http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/prod/solaris.10
AIX 5.3 docs: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoc...bm.aix.doc/infocenter/base/aixinformation.htm

I like Solaris, to an extent, however there are few OSs that would give me more control than Slackware. Absolute control over my system and everything it does is nice. My primary gripe(although I have many others) against windows is the lack of control, a problem that is only going to grow as MS moves to TC rather than fixing their problems. So basically, I'm a control freak when it comes to my computers.

And as for your comments about Linux in enterprise, tell that to IBM.

1. How do I uninstall SpyAxe from Internet Explorer?

To uninstall SpyAxe from Internet Explorer, follow these steps:

1. Open the Control Panel and select "Programs and Features."
  2. Find SpyAxe in the list of installed programs and click on it.
  3. Select "Uninstall" and follow the prompts to complete the process.
  4. Restart your computer to ensure the changes take effect.

2. Can I uninstall SpyAxe without affecting other programs?

Yes, you can uninstall SpyAxe without affecting other programs. However, it is always recommended to create a system restore point before making any changes to your computer to ensure you can revert back if any issues arise.

3. How do I know if SpyAxe is still on my computer?

You can check if SpyAxe is still on your computer by following these steps:

1. Open the Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
  2. Click on the "Processes" tab and look for any processes related to SpyAxe.
  3. If you find any, right-click on them and select "End Process."
  4. Next, open the Control Panel and select "Programs and Features."
  5. If SpyAxe is still listed, select it and click on "Uninstall."

4. Is there a manual way to remove SpyAxe from IE?

Yes, you can manually remove SpyAxe from Internet Explorer by following these steps:

1. Open Internet Explorer and click on the gear icon in the top right corner.
  2. Select "Manage Add-ons" from the drop-down menu.
  3. In the "Toolbars and Extensions" section, look for any entries related to SpyAxe and click on "Disable."
  4. Next, click on the gear icon again and select "Internet Options."
  5. In the "General" tab, delete the URL under the "Home page" section and replace it with your preferred homepage.

5. How can I prevent SpyAxe from installing on my computer again?

To prevent SpyAxe from installing on your computer again, you should always be cautious when downloading and installing software from the internet. Make sure to only download from trusted sources and read through the terms and conditions before proceeding with the installation. It is also recommended to have an up-to-date antivirus program to detect and block any potential threats.