1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus IE Irodov equivalent for Maths ?

1. Feb 17, 2015 #1
    Hello there friends,

I'm new here. I'm in my second semester of Computer Science Engineering. I've always loved Maths but was never quite great in Physics in school. I Keep getting this feeling that the current books I'm using aren't delivering the sufficient depth (BS Grewal and Erwin Kreszig). I like doing Maths a lot and would like to hear some recommendations for some good books for advanced Maths.

I remember how in eleventh and twelfth, Irodov was by far the hardest book for Physics. And how if anyone solved it end to end, they'd have a crystal clear understanding of the subject. So, I was wondering if there's an equivalent in Maths ?

I would like the book to have some solved problems so I know where to start. As far as topics go, Calculus and Algebra is cool. I like differential equations a lot but in general, I'm very eager to learn.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2015 #2
  4. Apr 9, 2015 #3
    I found a book that meets the criteria. I wanted to improve my problem solving skills and planned on doing Irodov because of the reputation it had. Unfortunately, I don't feel that comfortable with it being a Physics book and prefer Maths.

Problem Solving Strategies - Arthur Engel ... Was exactly the kind of book I was looking for. It was a Godsend. Like Irodov, it is used for Olympiad preparation. Like Irodov, it too uses problems that hone creative problem solving skills. Like Irodov, it's problems can be understood by a high school level of the subject and is challenging in the application of skill rather than advancement of knowledge.
    In short, it's perfect.

So, I thought I'd post it here in case anybody ever has the same question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted