Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

IE8 vs FF3 vs Chrome

1. Sep 2, 2008 #1
    The new battle for the internet browser war is heating up. Yes IE still dominates the market, but that domination is slowly lessening. It used to be easy to say FF3 is the best, but now I am using IE8B2 and it's pretty nice. Google will give a link to it's preview version of chrome soon and we can be sure it will offer plenty of interesting technology.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2008 #2
    You should make a poll!
    I am with FF3 and will try IE8 some months after all the testing and beta versions.

4. Sep 2, 2008 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

My plan is to avoid IE as plague. No matter what MS will do to make it safe, it will be always the most popular and thus most often hacked browser. Same about Outlook.

5. Sep 2, 2008 #4
    So if in a few years FF becomes the most popular you start using IE?

6. Sep 2, 2008 #5

Borek

No, I will continue to use Opera :smile:

7. Sep 2, 2008 #6
    If it's still around ;)

8. Sep 2, 2008 #7

Borek

I am not going to lose sleep over it now :)

9. Sep 2, 2008 #8
  10. Sep 2, 2008 #9
  11. Sep 2, 2008 #10
    First impressions are good. Seems fast, and everything is minimal. Will we interesting to see how it develops and how Google integrates it with all their online features. I'll stick with FF3 and IE8 for the meantime.

12. Sep 2, 2008 #11
    The only problem is i now see google's ads in the threads now. In IE7 i had a addon that blocked popups and ads. Shame it is.

13. Sep 2, 2008 #12
    The only reason PF is still here is because of the ad revenue. IE8 has a private mode that blocks ads.

14. Sep 2, 2008 #13
    I think majority of people block ads if they can. Not sure what will happen to those ads since IE has also introduced that feature.

15. Sep 2, 2008 #14

Mk

I heard Google CEO speak on Fox today at the Republican National Convention. He spoke very intelligently and made it clear that Google was apolitical on issues or candidates, and cared mainly about technology and the internet.

No Mac OS X version. :frown: Losers.

16. Sep 3, 2008 #15
    I can't use Chrome because it is windows-only.

This is a little funny because Chrome is (1) based on the engine from Apple's "Safari" and (2) open source

Google I'm givin y'all until the end of the year and then I'm coming in there after you! :shakes fist:

17. Sep 3, 2008 #16

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It does run fairly well using wine .... some flash issues but even with wine can't even compare to IE :wink: .

18. Sep 3, 2008 #17

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I prefer by far FF, simply because it is open source. Whenever I have the choice, I prefer open source even if its performances are maybe slightly less than some proprietary soft (even if there is a non-paying version of it, it is still not free), as long as performance is acceptable for normal use.

19. Sep 3, 2008 #18
  20. Sep 3, 2008 #19
    I am using chrome now, I have to say I am very impressed. It is noticeably faster than FF3, but there is one issue, I can't scroll up when using chrome. I googled this and it appears that it is a known bug. I am using a scroll pad on a laptop. Apart from that, chrome is pretty cool.

21. Sep 3, 2008 #20
    Chrome is open source :) Some say the future of the chrome is to be more like an app server and far future an online OS. End of the tranditional boot up OS.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?