IE8, FF3 & Chrome: Battle for Internet Browser War

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chrome
In summary, the conversation discusses the current state of the internet browser war, with a focus on the emergence of new players such as IE8B2 and Google Chrome. While some users are hesitant to switch from their preferred browsers, others are impressed with the speed and features of Chrome. There is also a mention of concerns about ad blocking and the potential future direction of browsers. Overall, the conversation highlights the constant competition and innovation in the world of internet browsers.
The new battle for the internet browser war is heating up. Yes IE still dominates the market, but that domination is slowly lessening. It used to be easy to say FF3 is the best, but now I am using IE8B2 and it's pretty nice. Google will give a link to it's preview version of chrome soon and we can be sure it will offer plenty of interesting technology.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
The new battle for the internet browser war is heating up. Yes IE still dominates the market, but that domination is slowly lessening. It used to be easy to say FF3 is the best, but now I am using IE8B2 and it's pretty nice. Google will give a link to it's preview version of chrome soon and we can be sure it offer plenty of interesting technology.

You should make a poll!
I am with FF3 and will try IE8 some months after all the testing and beta versions.

My plan is to avoid IE as plague. No matter what MS will do to make it safe, it will be always the most popular and thus most often hacked browser. Same about Outlook.

Borek said:
My plan is to avoid IE as plague. No matter what MS will do to make it safe, it will be always the most popular and thus most often hacked browser. Same about Outlook.

So if in a few years FF becomes the most popular you start using IE?

Greg Bernhardt said:
So if in a few years FF becomes the most popular you start using IE?

No, I will continue to use Opera :smile:

I am not going to lose sleep over it now :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
Link to download Chrome
http://www.google.com/chrome

Thanks,
I am going to try it!

Google beats everyone :)

Edit: It's fast!

rootX said:
Thanks,
I am going to try it!

Google beats everyone :)

First impressions are good. Seems fast, and everything is minimal. Will we interesting to see how it develops and how Google integrates it with all their online features. I'll stick with FF3 and IE8 for the meantime.

The only problem is i now see google's ads in the threads now. In IE7 i had a addon that blocked popups and ads. Shame it is.

Denton said:
The only problem is i now see google's ads in the threads now. In IE7 i had a addon that blocked popups and ads. Shame it is.

The only reason PF is still here is because of the ad revenue. IE8 has a private mode that blocks ads.

Greg Bernhardt said:
The only reason PF is still here is because of the ad revenue. IE8 has a private mode that blocks ads.

I think majority of people block ads if they can. Not sure what will happen to those ads since IE has also introduced that feature.

I heard Google CEO speak on Fox today at the Republican National Convention. He spoke very intelligently and made it clear that Google was apolitical on issues or candidates, and cared mainly about technology and the internet.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Link to download Chrome
http://www.google.com/chrome
No Mac OS X version. :frown: Losers.

I can't use Chrome because it is windows-only.

This is a little funny because Chrome is (1) based on the engine from Apple's "Safari" and (2) open source

Google I'm givin y'all until the end of the year and then I'm coming in there after you! :shakes fist:

It does run fairly well using wine ... some flash issues but even with wine can't even compare to IE :wink: .

I prefer by far FF, simply because it is open source. Whenever I have the choice, I prefer open source even if its performances are maybe slightly less than some proprietary soft (even if there is a non-paying version of it, it is still not free), as long as performance is acceptable for normal use.

Check this out http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10030888-92.html?part=rss

I am using chrome now, I have to say I am very impressed. It is noticeably faster than FF3, but there is one issue, I can't scroll up when using chrome. I googled this and it appears that it is a known bug. I am using a scroll pad on a laptop. Apart from that, chrome is pretty cool.

vanesch said:
I prefer by far FF, simply because it is open source. Whenever I have the choice, I prefer open source even if its performances are maybe slightly less than some proprietary soft (even if there is a non-paying version of it, it is still not free), as long as performance is acceptable for normal use.

Chrome is open source :) Some say the future of the chrome is to be more like an app server and far future an online OS. End of the tranditional boot up OS.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Chrome is open source :) Some say the future of the chrome is to be more like an app server and far future an online OS. End of the tranditional boot up OS.

Ah, then I don't mind. There are several open source browsers, Konqueror comes to mind. As long as it runs on windows and linux alike, it's a matter of taste I suppose.

rootX said:
I think majority of people block ads if they can. Not sure what will happen to those ads since IE has also introduced that feature.

I have Ad-Block installed, but the only ads I actually block are annoying .sigs and intellitxt-style inline ads. (I'd block pop-ups too, but FF stops them pretty well.) I'm happy to support sites by watching their ads.

1. What are IE8, FF3, and Chrome?

IE8, FF3, and Chrome are all popular internet browsers used to access and browse the internet. They are also known as Microsoft Internet Explorer 8, Mozilla Firefox 3, and Google Chrome respectively.

2. What is the "Browser War" and how do IE8, FF3, and Chrome play a role in it?

The "Browser War" refers to the competition between different internet browsers for market share and user adoption. IE8, FF3, and Chrome are all competing for dominance in this war by continuously improving their features and user experience.

3. Which of these browsers is the best?

The answer to this question is subjective as it depends on individual preferences. Each browser has its own unique features and strengths, so it is important to try them out and decide which one suits your needs best.

4. Are there any major differences between IE8, FF3, and Chrome?

Yes, there are significant differences between these browsers in terms of their user interface, speed, security, and compatibility with websites and web applications. It is recommended to research and compare these differences to find the best browser for your needs.

5. Can I use all three browsers on my computer?

Yes, you can have all three browsers installed on your computer and switch between them as needed. This can be helpful for testing website compatibility or for personal preference. However, it is important to regularly update these browsers to ensure the best performance and security.