If 1 were congruent number

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around proving that if 1 were a congruent number, then there would be an integer solution to the equation x^4-y^4=u^2 where u is odd. The participants discuss using the definition of congruent numbers and properties of primitive pythagorean triples to reach this proof. They also mention the importance of converting fractions to integers in the process.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
I want to show that if 1 were a congruent number then there would be an integer solution to the equation x^4-y^4=u^2 where u is odd.

Not sure, but from the definition we have 1=XY/2 and X^2+Y^2= Z^2, so by adding and substracting 4 (2XY) I get (X+-Y)^2 = Z^2+-4
multiply them both to get: Z^4-2^4= (X^2-Y^2)^2
I would like to show that X^2-Y^2 is my odd number, but don't see how.

Thanks for any hints.

Physics news on Phys.org
A hint is: read about the properties of primitive pythagorean triples. By the way, if the definition of "congruent number" is this one,
then X,Y,Z are rational, and you want integers; you are probably forgetting to mention a step in your proof.

I am not even sure if this is a proof, this is why I am asking for help here.

It looks good so far; in fact, you're almost there.

Let me put an example: if you have an equation on fractions, say 1/3 + 1/6 = 1/2, you can multiply it by some number, and get an equation on integers. (i'm afraid to say much more, short of solving it myself.) Go ahead!

I would approach this problem by first defining congruent numbers and understanding their properties. A congruent number is a positive rational number that can be represented as the area of a right triangle with rational side lengths. In other words, if n is a congruent number, then there exists positive rational numbers a, b, and c such that n = (a*b)/2 and a^2 + b^2 = c^2.

Now, let us assume that 1 is a congruent number. This means that there exist positive rational numbers a, b, and c such that 1 = (a*b)/2 and a^2 + b^2 = c^2. We can then rewrite this as a^2 - c^2 = b^2, which is a Pythagorean triple.

Next, we can use the fact that every Pythagorean triple can be generated by the formula a = m^2 - n^2, b = 2mn, and c = m^2 + n^2, where m and n are positive integers with m > n.

Substituting this into our equation, we get (m^2 - n^2)^2 - (m^2 + n^2)^2 = (2mn)^2. Simplifying, we get (m^4 - n^4) - (m^4 + 2m^2n^2 + n^4) = 4m^2n^2. Rearranging, we get (m^4 - 2m^2n^2 + n^4) - (m^4 - n^4) = 4m^2n^2. This can be rewritten as (m^2 - n^2)^2 - (m^2 - n^2)^2 = 4m^2n^2, which simplifies to 0 = 4m^2n^2.

Since m and n are positive integers, this means that at least one of them must be even. Without loss of generality, let's say m is even. This means that m^2 is divisible by 4, and therefore 4m^2n^2 is divisible by 4. This implies that (m^2 - n^2)^2 = 0, which means that m^2 - n^2 = 0.

1. What is a congruent number?

A congruent number is a positive integer that can be represented as the area of a right triangle with rational side lengths.

2. How do you determine if a number is congruent?

To determine if a number is congruent, you can use a formula called the congruent number formula, which involves finding the divisors of the number and checking if they satisfy certain conditions.

3. Is 1 a congruent number?

No, 1 is not a congruent number. A congruent number must have more than one divisors, and 1 only has one divisor (itself).

4. Are there infinitely many congruent numbers?

It is not known whether there are infinitely many congruent numbers. However, it is believed that there are infinitely many congruent numbers, but this has not been proven yet.

5. Why are congruent numbers important?

Congruent numbers have been studied for centuries and are important in number theory. They also have connections to other areas of mathematics, such as elliptic curves and modular forms.