1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If a + b + c = abc, prove that at least one of (a,b,c) is < or = sqrt(3)

1. Jun 5, 2004 #1
    Hi

Here's a question....

Let a, b, c be three non-zero real numbers such that

a + b + c = abc

Prove that at least one of these three numbers (a, b or c) is less than or equal to the square root of 3.

Can you prove this without trigonometry? The trigonometric solution follows...

Solution (using Trigonometry)

Let a = tan(A), b = tan(B), c = tan(C) (for some nonzero angles A, B, C which are real) so that the given constraint becomes

tan(A) + tan(B) + tan(C) = tan(A)tan(B)tan(C)

which can be true iff A + B + C = n*pie (n is an integer)

If n = 1, then A, B, C are the angles of a triangle (as the constraint is true for angles of a triangle). The result follows by considering cases: of an equilateral triangle where A = B = C = pie/3 radians so that each of a, b and c is equal to sqrt(3); next consider the case of a scalene triangle where A, B and C are all distinct. If A > pie/3, then B+C = pie-A = pie-(qty less than pie/3) and so either B or C is less than pie/3.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers
    Vivek

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

i) [tex]a=b=c=\sqrt{3}[/tex] is a solution of the equation
    ii) Setting [tex]a=\sqrt{3}+\hat{a}[/tex] and similarly for b and c

The proof follows readily from this
    (i.e., at least one of the hatted numbers must be non-positive.)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2004
  4. Jun 6, 2004 #3
    Hi

Thanks. Your method is interesting...we get a new constraint on the hatted numbers now...am I right? (I haven't completed the solution using your substitutions..)

Cheers
    Vivek

5. Jun 6, 2004 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

proof without using trig or substitution: use the arithmetic mean/geometric mean inequality

6. Jun 6, 2004 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, you end up with an equation which can be written like

[tex] f(\hat{a},\hat{b},\hat{c}) = -g(\hat{a},\hat{b},\hat{c}) [/tex]

And you'll find that for positive values of [tex] \hat{a},\hat{b},\hat{c}[/tex], the functions f and g must give positive numbers. So you have LHS = positive number and RHS = negative number...a contradiction ! So, one of [tex] \hat{a},\hat{b},\hat{c}[/tex] must not be positive.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2004
  7. Jun 6, 2004 #6
    Thanks Gokul43201

I get it now :-D

Cheers
    Vivek

8. Jun 6, 2004 #7
    I don't =[

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?