• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

If a fuse repeatedly blows, it should be replaced by a fuse of one step higher rating

• Thread starter Curious314
  • Start date

Homework Statement

If a fuse repeatedly blows, it should be replaced by a fuse of one step higher rating.
true or false?

The Attempt at a Solution

this is because there is too much current in the circuit and it does need to be replace with one of higher capacity? then true?

Thanks!

Answers and Replies

turbo
Gold Member

First, find out why a properly-sized fuse keeps blowing. The fuse is there to protect the circuit, and simply substituting that fuse with higher and higher rate ones subverts that protection.

that makes a lot of sence, but I still belive that the question is too generic, because I'm not sure if it is because the fuse is originally too small or there is a problem with the circuit that causes the blowing.

thanks anyway turbo

turbo
Gold Member

You need to look at the entire circuit, Curious. Simply subbing in bigger and bigger-capacity fuses is not a good idea, unless you want to sacrifice the circuit in question. Do you have access to a decent multimeter, and can you evaluate circuits?

well is a question for my homework, so all i have is this:

If a fuse repeatedly blows, it should be replaced by a fuse of one step higher rating.
true or false?

I don't have further information

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

true or false?

Why is this bad practice? (replacing a fuse by one with 1 step higher rating)

You're likely to start an electrical fire.

turbo
Gold Member

true or false?

I gave you the correct answer. You can't keep jumping fuse values without finding out why the fuse is blowing. You can cause trouble that way.

thanks to both of you :D