1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If a fuse repeatedly blows, it should be replaced by a fuse of one step higher rating

1. Jun 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If a fuse repeatedly blows, it should be replaced by a fuse of one step higher rating.
    true or false?

3. The attempt at a solution

this is because there is too much current in the circuit and it does need to be replace with one of higher capacity? then true?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2012 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Re: If a fuse repeatedly blows, it should be replaced by a fuse of one step higher ra

First, find out why a properly-sized fuse keeps blowing. The fuse is there to protect the circuit, and simply substituting that fuse with higher and higher rate ones subverts that protection.

4. Jun 24, 2012 #3
    Re: If a fuse repeatedly blows, it should be replaced by a fuse of one step higher ra

that makes a lot of sence, but I still belive that the question is too generic, because I'm not sure if it is because the fuse is originally too small or there is a problem with the circuit that causes the blowing.

thanks anyway turbo

5. Jun 24, 2012 #4

turbo

Gold Member

You need to look at the entire circuit, Curious. Simply subbing in bigger and bigger-capacity fuses is not a good idea, unless you want to sacrifice the circuit in question. Do you have access to a decent multimeter, and can you evaluate circuits?

6. Jun 24, 2012 #5

well is a question for my homework, so all i have is this:

If a fuse repeatedly blows, it should be replaced by a fuse of one step higher rating.
    true or false?

I don't have further information

7. Jun 24, 2012 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why is this bad practice? (replacing a fuse by one with 1 step higher rating)

You're likely to start an electrical fire.

8. Jun 24, 2012 #7

turbo

Gold Member

I gave you the correct answer. You can't keep jumping fuse values without finding out why the fuse is blowing. You can cause trouble that way.

9. Jun 24, 2012 #8

thanks to both of you :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook