1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If a light wave is travelling through a anisotropic material what would DELTA n be?

1. Oct 12, 2014 #1
    I finally understand the principle of being able to imagine light as having 2 perpendicular componants of electric field, to use an analogy from an earlier thread, its just as a weight on a slope may be considered to have 2 componants.

Anyway, for this example nx = ny = no and nz = ne. Light is travelling in the y direction therefore the perpendicular E componants will be subject to nx and ne i.e. there will be birefringence.

My question is the question asks for Δn and I am unsure what this means. Do I just find a term for nx - ne?

Please see attached images to visualise the problem, 1 shows the problem, 2 shows the working for a similar problem, thanks in advance.

p.s. this is not part of any assessed homework

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      32.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      15.8 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2014 #2
    bump?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted